Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold bug pro someone please help?

I have a Gold bug pro, version 4 with a 5" and 5x10 coil. Here is my problem. It almost never gives me a good target id in the ground. In my soil it usually is ground balanced between 78 and 85 mostly about 81/82. In the air I get clean targets ids 57/58 on a nickle 87/88/89 on a quarter until out of detection range. In my test bed newly made (GB 84, 5" Coil) I get nothing solid on a 4" nickle. It shows a great target but vid jumps from 20 into the 80 and everything in between. Both coils different sensitivity settings, GB offset. Totally undigable target. On a quarter at 4" the vid gives me a weak jumpy 80-85 which I would probably dig, at 6" 20-90 jumpy signal. Dime 4" barley there jumpy signal and 6" nothing. These results seem to be the same in the field.

Yesterday I went hunting with a buddy. He had an AT pro with the smaller dd coil. I got a signal on my GBP with the 5x10. The signal was loud enough but jumpy from disced out to occasional 70s-80s. Something I would never dig in a park. I figured canslaw. The area was so clean we were digging almost everything. I had him come over and test it with the AT PRO. He went over it and said he would definitely dig that, probably a nickle. It was a new drop nickle about 3"-4". I also got a signal that day that said jumpy dig 8"down. Dug down 8" big hole with relic shovel. Target still in hole 8" down. Dug bigger deeper hole, target still 8" down in bottom of hole, dug some more same thing. Same signal the whole time, I gave up. Im thinking it was a strange patch of mineralization, or something like that.

I also get at least double the depth in all metal mode which is awesome for nugget shooting but doesnt help much in normal hunting. 5" coil hits a nickle at 10 inches at full sens, which I find amazing. With this good of an all metal mode, how can the disc be so weak and erratic? The machine can obviously see the target very well. At 4" air test in all metal it screams, at 4" disc mod in air it says 57/58 nickle, at 4" in ground it says dont dig, trash.

Do I have a problem? Should I send in my pro for a checkup? Has anyone else had similar problems? Am I nuts and need to learn my machine better? If you are reading this Mr. Johnson, anything?

Hi M-man, I don,t have the Gold Bug but have the G2, they are the same. I get alot better ID,s than you, and at better depth. Something is not right, Do you have a dealer close to you? You might need to call the maker of the detector and ask about that. Hope you can get it worked out. Flintstone

Thanks. I used the detector today. I managed to find 3 silver dimes, which was great. All 3 were less than 3" down and gave signals 80-85. I also found 3 wheats same depth 75-83. Nothing deeper in the area. It seems that at 4" or so I loose all Id stability. Its like the detector mostly works. I will email Fisher and see what they say.

What was the answer you got from Fisher regarding this?
machineman said:
Thanks. I used the detector today. I managed to find 3 silver dimes, which was great. All 3 were less than 3" down and gave signals 80-85. I also found 3 wheats same depth 75-83. Nothing deeper in the area. It seems that at 4" or so I loose all Id stability. Its like the detector mostly works. I will email Fisher and see what they say.

I have been working with my GBP alot more to try and figure it out. At depth it tends to do ok on silver and clad. Nickles are jumpy past 4". I am learning it alittle better. I still would like it to be more stable but it works for now. THanks

mine is spot on with id numbers on coins even at the end of the detection field , have you checked all connections etc does it do it with both coils? if it does it with both coils its probably the machine sucks but I would send it back for a tune up my ground balance numbers are similar to yours.

AJ

sounds like It may need a tune up. Its pretty jumpy on anything but high conductors. thanks

Just to be clear. Your looking at id numbers only in discrimination mode only right ??

I may have similar problem with IDs.

Maybe it is because of condition of ground (salt gravel) ...
Sometimes I have iron signal before I dig, and when I take of fist layer of gravel I get ID 50-60...
Or maybe first I get ID around 90... and after fist layer it lowers to 80s ... third layer... it lowers more to deep silver 70s

I dig with my feet and it is not a problem.
Maybe also that I don't center and pinpoint before I dig.

I am is disc mode with 40 disc, and sens 100.
My ground balance is 65-85.

even dry sand with wet salt sand underneath is going to give single freq detectors a bit of a hard time changing ID numbers and falsing etc.. so I would say salt is your main problem .

AJ

Thank you AJ

I am used to it ... policy is dig all ... it is worth it
Hot rocks and all metal must be removed :rage: