Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold Bug question???????

Gunswinger

I was wandering if I could get some feed back on detectors. I would like to find an entry level detector for gold prospecting. Trouble is I only get to go a couple times during the year. I live where there is nothing but black gold, coal. ( West Virginia) I have seen some post listing the gold bug 2 and I have looked around and found some for a decent price. Is that the detector to get or should I get a gold strike, or shadow x5, or what? I currently have a minelab sov. and explorer.I use these for coin hunting and relics. But, I would like to get a machine that was fairly good at gold. So, let me know what your ideas are. Have you used them, and if so what do you think???? :shrug: :please:

Greeting from MT
I would lean towards the GB2 for gold, but as you say, you only get out a couple times a year so it would be setting around some.
Look into the Tesoro Lobo St, It is just about as good as the GB2 but not quit as sensitive and can be chest or hip mounted. It is also a good coin and relic machine and there are some bigger coils available. I have used the Lobo St hunting your red hot soil in VA and it worked great
Either one will do you a good job on gold JMO
Are you finding any good CW relics lately??
Allen in MT
1st photo GB2 finds
2nd photo Lobo St finds

and it stated that it would be a good unit to use for coin shooting in the park, relic hunting in Ghost towns, and on the beach. How often do you get to use your GB2? I hope your leg is better Allen. I only get to go relic hunting at the digs. Not much civil war in my area. I do find an old house foundation every now and then in the woods and get to hunt them. Just never know what you will find at one. Last winter I found a Pentax 50mm lens buried up in the leaves at one. Creekrat found some melted gold coins in one burned foundation. What is the difference in the GB and the Gold strike??? I have an older Whites Gold Master :detecting: that is still working. I would have to get an older prospector to give me a hand with it. :twodetecting: After the last hunt in March I got to go prospecting in Virginia and panned a little gold. Not to bad for a beginner. Now I got the fever really bad. Thanks for your advice. Happy Hunting.

Gunswinger, you have two ggod detectors for relics and maybe the beach, the gold bug is best used as a nugget hunting detector regardless of the sales hype of the manufacturer...in my opinion, of course.
Fred

Yes you can use any gold machine to hunt coins and relics, you just don't have the ability to discriminate and you will sound off on every little tidbit out there. You have an older gold master that works, well there you go,they are good machines and alot of them still in use.You can probably get on the net and white's site and get a manual for it, if not sure about it send it in to becheck out and tuned up. It will serve youwell for a gold machine thatyou use 3 to 4 time a year for gold. The gold strike didn't make the splash it was suppose to and in my opinion the GB2 is still a better machine that the GS. Sounds like your other machines are ok for the relics.
JMO
later and HAGD
Allen in MT

I know it's in here somewhere

I own the GB2 and the Tesoro LST with all the smaller coils. GB2 rocks for small gold,but you find tiny junk too.Put on the larger coil and you still find paper match head size . BUT in some places it'll drive ya to drink(short drive for me) because of lead shot and shredded foil.THATS where my TLST steps up to the plate and shines.Good for varying mineralization as a flip of the switch tuning rocks!!! Wooden match heads and up is ok as you don't spend near as much time looking for smaller nuggets,and digging nearly as much trash.TLST is a great coin machine too,relics also. I carry both when mining.Tons a au 2 u 2-John

The GB 2 is a very good unit, if you get one make sure you get the smaller coil too, as it probably will be the one you use most in your sniping explorations. A good trowel such as a Wilcox 100S with a magnet in the handle will be very helpful. I don't waste a lot of time sifting thru the dirt looking for small pieces I hear. I scoop the material up put it in a bucket or pan and when they are full run this material thru a small hand sluice, then you can pan the cons. at your leisure..If you want I can send you some pics of my stuff I use, I have found hundreds of small nuggets in various places... Geo