Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold Coin Story From T-DUB'Finds Post

RLOH

For the record, I have never found a gold coin and I am envious of the rare few who have found one. I started this post as to not contaminate his post.

I hunt several large parks that date to the late 1890's-early 1900's. They are still in use so you can imagine what a 100 years of all sorts of trash sounds like. There are spots where I can eyeball 5 pulltabs in a one foot by one foot square. I know that there are some gold coins in these spots, but I would wear myself out trying to find one. To be honest, I don't even know where they would ring up on my Etrac or Legend. I am thinking around a nickel. I say that because that is where I have found my rare gold rings have been.

About five years ago my buddy was enjoying the view of Lake Erie from the bluff overlooking the local beach. He comes at daylight and reads the Sunday paper. Right next to this bluff is a long ravine that kids have rode sleds on for the 100 years or so this park has been in existence. On this day, he saw a man detecting this sled riding hill and thought it was me so he walked up to him only to find a man he had never seen. He excused himself and went back to car to read his paper.

A half hour later, this man came charging up the hill literally yelling. My friend was the only person on the bluff. The man had found a 5 dollar gold coin on my hill. I know I passed over that coin many times and dismissed it as trash. That is as close as I have come to finding a gold coin. I wish I could have the "dig it all stamina" Maybe tomorrow.

For the record, I have never found a gold coin and I am envious of the rare few who have found one. I started this post as to not contaminate his post.

I hunt several large parks that date to the late 1890's-early 1900's. They are still in use so you can imagine what a 100 years of all sorts of trash sounds like. There are spots where I can eyeball 5 pulltabs in a one foot by one foot square. I know that there are some gold coins in these spots, but I would wear myself out trying to find one. To be honest, I don't even know where they would ring up on my Etrac or Legend. I am thinking around a nickel. I say that because that is where I have found my rare gold rings have been.

About five years ago my buddy was enjoying the view of Lake Erie from the bluff overlooking the local beach. He comes at daylight and reads the Sunday paper. Right next to this bluff is a long ravine that kids have rode sleds on for the 100 years or so this park has been in existence. On this day, he saw a man detecting this sled riding hill and thought it was me so he walked up to him only to find a man he had never seen. He excused himself and went back to car to read his paper.

A half hour later, this man came charging up the hill literally yelling. My friend was the only person on the bluff. The man had found a 5 dollar gold coin on my hill. I know I passed over that coin many times and dismissed it as trash. That is as close as I have come to finding a gold coin. I wish I could have the "dig it all stamina" Maybe tomorrow.
RLOH, appreciate the thoughtfulness of not putting this in the “share your gold coin find” thread. I would have been ok if you had. I can’t find my cheat sheet that I had on my phone for years, but if I recall correctly the $1 was supposed to come in around 12 - 8/10. Mine did not, it had an old rusty nail part in the hole and it was bouncing 14/16 and 6/14 because of that. But I dug anyway because it was repeatable all the way around and because I was in a field. So yes they can be anywhere from pop and beer can parts to nickels on the Etrac from what I have heard, read, experienced. I found mine with an Etrac. Quite the story you shared. Not the first or last time that scenario will/has happened in this hobby. Gold coin vibes your way and good hunting.

I understand what you talking about in stating about how much trash has accumulated in that park over 100 years.. I have a small park near me that I have detected finding some nice old coins at… I feel there could be some gold coins in there too, but it would be very difficult to dig all those types of signals for a gold coin.