Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold, Compadre, Silver, Vaquero comparison

KVM2

I have a small ear ring post... Found with the Vaquero, removed something and used just about amounted to a 1/ 2 in gold wire, A Compadre 5 inch coil found it.. A Compadre 7 inch coil, next to nutten honey. My second silver UMax, rolled it on the coil, no signal.. Vaquero inch and a half in air.. Discrimination was next to all metal status...Maybe this is why so many people are shifting detectors. Variation in targets.... Clay washer, I would have kept that Vaquero that does an extra dime inch...When I see a 13 inch air test on a dime, actually 15 inches ,knock off 30% in my soil we are cooking at TEN INCHES soil depth...There is a lot of technology to unlock "worked out sites". Silver and Vaquero had stock coils.. I may wind up with a custom made 20 kH coil just for small gold and chains. This is what a small piece of gold did, when I checked coils. No rhymes or reasons. If you have any ideas, fire away

So, Compadre was the winner, Vaquero slightly disappointed, and Silver total failure. Is that right?

The Compadre 5 inch coil, just found the gold, larger coil didn't as didn't the Silver. Vaquero had the best distance. I was disappointed in what I got, and sold out everything except the Vaquero. My anticipation of what I had expected, based on other peoples comments, just was not there. Since I bought all the others used, except my first silver (which I thought was fantastic , regret selling it) , I am wondering if I purchased units that others didn't want...Does happen.... So, at 76, I don't pay attention to distance numbers, except as a possible comparison...., What I list is what you can duplicate with my detectors...13 inches in air, or even 15, is of no value unless it is my machine doing it...For small gold, chains etc, I'm going to a special high kH coil...Going to be nice tomorrow, excellent possibility of not getting chilled. and there should be some more early 1800 coins with my name to gather up. Then round up some more spots....I am building a cash stash for a new Tesoro next generation detector hopes that a grand will cover it. Seeing neat European models in the couple of hundred over that.. If a Tesoro is not in the works soon, then I'll go AKA. I've had my Vaquero 5 years, the question I laugh about is, will I be around using a new detector for five years? Have fun, find something that will give you bragging rights. 4/27 My computer will not let me load photos here , going to put what I found on Face Book last year and first three trips this year. Only $5 something in silver, oldest coin 1801, oldest silver 1850's something half dime...Total time, last year and this year, possibly 50 hours...I'm slow.

I've been meaning to try a Vaquero myself. I've had a Silver, a Tejon, and now have a Bandido 2 Micromax and they have been great. It's pretty impressive that the budget priced Compadre does as good as it does, especially running at a lower frequency than most any "gold" detector.

I agree with you on the published air test numbers. Most of my detectors don't airtest what others have shown, but then again we have to remember that everyone does them a little different and in a different location. I always bury a dime at 6 inches and see how good each detector hits it at different settings. I can then judge the depth capability by how high off the ground I can get the coil and still get a solid hit. Works for me.

Sounds like you are doing great with your finds, you are certainly doing better than me! Glad to see you getting out to hunt, good luck to you buddy. Let us know what you find!

the compadre is king of small gold, and the silver less sensitive but that what i like about the silver , if you are looking for the small gold things best to have a small coil and the compadre , only exemption may be the Tjn I have to agree selling the silver was a mistake

I am not surprised by your findings. I would have been interested to see how the Lobo and Tejon performed in the same test.

The Compadre will hit that small gold, but you have to almost be in ALL METAL to do it. Still, not bad at all for a $160 detector, isn't it?

I posted pictures of my 2014 and ,so far, 2015 finds in the Tesoro forum on Face Book.. I apologize for not being able to post here. My computer is messed up.

thumperjones said:
I've been meaning to try a Vaquero myself. I've had a Silver, a Tejon, and now have a Bandido 2 Micromax and they have been great. It's pretty impressive that the budget priced Compadre does as good as it does, especially running at a lower frequency than most any "gold" detector.

I agree with you on the published air test numbers. Most of my detectors don't airtest what others have shown, but then again we have to remember that everyone does them a little different and in a different location. I always bury a dime at 6 inches and see how good each detector hits it at different settings. I can then judge the depth capability by how high off the ground I can get the coil and still get a solid hit. Works for me.

Sounds like you are doing great with your finds, you are certainly doing better than me! Glad to see you getting out to hunt, good luck to you buddy. Let us know what you find!

Need to be carefull judging a machines depth by how high youcan raise the coil off the ground and still get a signal.
Just because you can hit the target 5 inches above the ground does not mean that you can bury the target another 5 inches and still hit it.