Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold detector question

A

Anonymous

Well I am very happy with my cz70 pro. Now my wife wants to detect the beach (freshwater) looking for small gold and larger gold of course. ie. gold stud earrings, small chains etc. I read Toms fishers intelligence report on finding small gold at the beach he claims you need a gold detector, I was looking at the gold bug 2, but was wondering if anyone knew about the fact fisher uses a 71 khz. frequency and the others us a lower frequency ie. 15 to 35 khz. I believe the higher the frequency the more sensitive to small targets, but will this detector still be a good coin shooter as well on the beach.

Unfortunately it will pick up hairpins, fish hooks and break your back digging...Cz's do quite well on gold and also have autotune which will act basically like a gold detector...

E-mail me Mark...have lots of experience relative your question...

Hi Mark,
You don't need a gold detector like the GB II to find earrings and chains and unless your wife has the patience of a saint, I would not even consider getting her one. Until you have used one you cannot begin to imagine how many tiny and I mean really tiny bits of foil and trash there are on water beaches, not to mention the iron that they do not disc out. High frequency machines like the Goldbugs and Whites Goldmasters are ultra sensitive to small stuff and are no fun in that enviroment. Both have iron ID circuits but they only work to an extent and are unbearable noisy in trashy enviroments like that found on fresh water beaches. Trust me!
I like Fishers but in all honesty, except for the 1270 which does an adequate job, they do not make a machine suitable for finding small chains. There are other machines out there that are more sensitive to chains and disc out iron well. The new Tesoro Vaquero or the Lobo ST would be my top choices unless you want to pop for the $$ and get an X5.
Tom

Last year after reading the article about micro jewelry hunting using the GB2 at the beach I purchased a GB2 and gave it a try. I detected several beaches in the St. Pete area in Fl on four occassions. The total targets recovered after 4 days numbered 367 ranging from small pieces of foil (some smaller than a grain of rice) to the usual trash items and a few coins. A couple of pieces of beads from a necklace and a few other small broken pieces of jewelry, none gold. The GB2 does a great job of disc out iron, I dug absolutely none. If I had swept over any gold jewelry that wasn't too deep it certainly would have hit. The GB2 was awesome and did exactly what it was supposed to do but the percentage of good targets in the areas I tried didn't justify keeping it. At the beach I use a CZ70 and CZ20 now and dig everything above iron, also if it's a faint iron hit I will dig that also because very small jewelry will read iron sometimes on my CZ. The difference between my CZ70 and GB2 was only noticable on very small gold jewelry and small bracelettes with individual links. To answer your question I don't think the GB2 can be considered a coin shooter especially not compared to your CZ70. Finally, the GB2 does exactly what is says it will do but beware just like the article says your back won't like this kind of hunting.

JRG,
There must be a big difference between fresh water and ocean beaches. Around here, there is iron in abundance which makes for a lot of noise and you can easily dig 400 bits of trash in less than 100 yards of hunting at some beaches.
Most small lakes simply do not get the wave action that keeps larger beaches relatively clean so the trash has had years to accumulate from the surface on down as deep as a detector can see. The iron and bottlecaps do not rust away either. Simply put the high frequency detectors are way to sensitive for that use.
JMHO
Tom

Years ago when I hunted freshwater beaches and did some shallow water hunting I bought a used Tesoro the older style with a metal box..Turn down the sensitivity to 0 ...hair pins, fish hooks etc. will give a ratty sound and a gold chain even small will hit without the ratty sound..Doesn't work well with newer Tesoro's and also the older units can be hipmounted for shallow water hunting..I apologize to Fisher for bringing another brand into the post. Try it as it works and these older models can be picked up rather cheaply. In addendum a CZ has gotten me some nice gold rings including my last which had 16 diamonds and indeed most detectors have trouble picking up gold chains without digging up the beach and breaking your back as beaches are just loaded with small iron whether they be junk rings or hairpins .Again above only works for fresh water as Tesoro;s go wild on saltwater beaches so there are give and take aways on any unit..

Thank You,
I like the honesty in this forum, thank you all. I think I'll talk it over with the wife and let her decide what she wants. Meanwhile I will give my local dealer a call as he usually has lots of used detectors. Thanks again.

dan-pa what would be the name of or # of old tesoro
metal box, for small gold chains or post earrings.
THANKS;
COWBELL OH