Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold racer 15.5x13 search coil reviews please

Grumpie

I'm trying to figure out why this coil isn't being talked about. Is it a secret trick in somebody's bag or is it collecting dust in your closet? I know it's a third of the price of the detector and maybey no one is buying it. But someone has to have some extensive use with one

I recently purchased the 15.5 x 13 RC40 for my Racer 2, but have not had a chance to test it out yet.

Monte said he didn't think RC 40 would be that much of a benefit because the Gold Racer is meant for small gold. Haven't seen much on sites about it. A friend has one so I'll send you an update when we go out detecting. (Probably in about 3-4 weeks)
I'll probably try his RC40 coil on my Gold Racer.

For one, I mainly Relic Hunt iron plagued sites where I deal with dense brush, rocks, and building rubble. Smaller-size coils are what I have used th4e most since '68, sometimes putting a mid-sized coil to work in low-to-modest trash environments, or a 'standard' coil in more open areas and where I am looking for larger-size targets. I use the larger, or over-size, search coils when I have been Cache Hunting or for some contract searches [size=small](many of which have also involved searching for a cache)[/size].

I have the bigger coil for a Nokta FORS CoRe which is what I now grab for such hunting, and the operating frequency has worked well for me using it. The Makro Gold Racer is one of the finest detectors I have ever used for lower-conductive and tinier-sized targets. Meant for Gold Nugget Hunting it has no rivals I can think of that offer the features and performance it does. But the biggest coil I use on one of mine is the 5½X10 DD, which gets second attention since the other unit keeps the 5½" DD mounted full-time.

Due to the 56 kHz LF operation, I consider the Gold Racer to be best used for just those types of searches. Lower-conductive and smaller-size targets such as nuggets, or for thin gold chains, gold rings and other gold jewelry at locations where it has a greater chance for loss. I have used the Gold Racer with small coil for some Relic Hunting around some typical old iron littered RR ghost towns and a couple of stage stops, and it does well for me considering the operating frequency.

So problems #1 is I don't have the larger-0size search coil. #2 is the fact that I don't need it or have much need or applications that would call for that bigger coil on a Gold Racer. And #3 right now it that we still have a lot of snow left around, but the main hunt sites I enjoy, in the nearby Gold Mining camps and townsites, are all under several feet of snow right now and I probably won't have access until early-to-mid April. I will keep a watch for some field reports using it as it will be interesting to know what use they have for it. I know that it won't match the depth I can get with my 15 kHz FORS CoRe in almost any application where 'depth' is the important element to achieve.

Monte

I've used that coil on my Racer 2 and felt it was a very good coil. My only challenge is that I have very few sites (aside from say the beach) where I can run a coil that large.

hh,
Cal

Looks like we're going out on a road trip, mid April, across Nevada. Going to use all my coils and detectors on this trip. Will give you an update on the 15.5 x 13 Gold Racer coil around May 1st . Expecting to find some gold in old mine tailings along the way. Nothing is for sure but it should be a fun trip.

nuff coils said:
Looks like we're going out on a road trip, mid April, across Nevada. Going to use all my coils and detectors on this trip. Will give you an update on the 15.5 x 13 Gold Racer coil around May 1st . Expecting to find some gold in old mine tailings along the way. Nothing is for sure but it should be a fun trip.

Monte's ghost town trip?

trip to Wells? Join a bunch of great enthusiasts who like to put their detectors and skills to the test in some old ghost towns that sometimes abound in dense iron debris. You'd want a smaller-size coil for those hunts rather than that biggie you're going to tote with you. This will be our 5th Welcome-to-Hunt Outing, and there will be a 6th WTHO to follow in mid-June.

5th WTHO is on May 18, 19, 20 & 21 … This involves the weekend after Mother’s Day and before Memorial Day Weekend. For our 5th WTHO we are again going to base it out of Wells, Nevada.

6th WTHO on June 7, 8, 9 & 10 … This will not interfere with Fathers Day on June 17th. This will be our Eastern Oregon WTHO to the three Gold Mining Ghost Town sites.

WTHO's are open to anyone who would like to make a trip, meet some wonderful people, and have a lot of fun. No cost, no membership, none of that. Just some planned Outing locations for adventurer's to enjoy. If you have any questions, shoot me an e-mail.

Monte

Grumpie , the large coil for Goldmak is a great coil. I use mine to scout for gold patches. It will find subgram gold easily. I use all metal with sens. 70-72 and some isat if needed. It is surprising quiet especially since it picks up more mineralization at a time. Once I use it to find to a gold patch ill clean up with it then switch to the 10 x 5.5 to get any micro gold that is left. Good luck

Didn't get to use the big coil on the trip across Nevada, or the club trip. The gold was small and a smaller coil was needed every stop. Really needed the 4x7 coil to have a shot at any gold.

nuff coils said:
Didn't get to use the big coil on the trip across Nevada, or the club trip. The gold was small and a smaller coil was needed every stop. Really needed the 4x7 coil to have a shot at any gold.

Did you guys find anything interesting in Nevada?

I just did a small three day trip to detect old sites, stage stops and other small concerns, and they were cleaned out! A couple of them were so clean, there was hardly even any iron!

Doing a Nevada trip at the end of the month, so hopefully the Impact or Racer2 will sniff out some keepers :detecting: