Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold Ring from Desert Mining Town Restored

Cal_Cobra

In September I found this old Victorian gold ring detecting an iron infested old mining town dump with my Nokta Impact, using the small factory coil, 20kHz and Di3 mode. It came in as a beautiful signal, and I thought for sure it was going to be a nickle, so I was very pleased to see some gold come out of the ground. It definitely survived a fire, and lost it's stone, but aside from that it wasn't broken, bent, smashed, etc., like most of the gold rings we find at these sites (not that we find many).

36682141070_fd1ded8bd9_z.jpg
36682141200_0597f593ef_z.jpg

I got it home and when I showed my wife my finds from the trip, she immediately grabbed the ring, tried it on, and proclaimed that it fit perfectly! Well, what do you do..... I used to collect cut gemstones, so I told her she could pick one of these stones:

37078675425_7db2c537b0_z.jpg

Just got it back from the jeweler and he did a nice job. This left for dead in the desert antique ring now has a renewed life, and the wife is happy!

37069022333_4cb301c539_z.jpg

Here's a little video digging the ring:

https://youtu.be/tHKCsBlRZm0

HH,
Brian

She definitely chose the right stone. Beautiful find and restoration job.

Great save on the ring. Looks like your wife will be letting you detect more often:)

Nice find--love the detail. The Impact is the best gold getter I've seen in a while--especially in 20 kHz. I showed my buddy a few things it did-- he just wrote me back about getting one--he has forty years hunting in.
cjc

cjc said:
Nice find--love the detail. The Impact is the best gold getter I've seen in a while--especially in 20 kHz. I showed my buddy a few things it did-- he just wrote me back about getting one--he has forty years hunting in.
cjc

It loved the ring, just locked on in the middle of the junk, so I'd imagine it would do great at the beach :detecting:

Looks like you scored many, many points.

Thanks gents!

I have another gold ring I sifted at this place several years ago, but it's in rough shape, cut, bent and no stones. I gave it to the same jeweler to restore, and told him I wasn't in a hurry. When I get it back, I'll post a photo of it. I'll have to look back and see if I have a before shot of it when I found it. I'm sure the restoration cost of the jeweler is likely more then the rings are worth, but there's just something special about finding a Victorian gold ring in the desert and bringing it back to life :)