Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold Ring Weight and Equinox 800 Display Number

LawrencetheMDer

To further evaluate the Equinox 800 I bought in May, I looked at gold ring weight and Equinox 800 display number for 19 gold rings. The rings varied in weight from 0.8g to 11.05g and 15 of the 19 were 14k, one was 10k, 2 were 18k and one was 22k. I “air-tested” the rings at about 4” from the standard 11” coil in program Park 2.

The first 2 pictures show the 19 rings I tested and they’re arranged from lightest to heaviest (more or less) from top left to bottom right. Above each ring is its weight in grams (g) and corresponding Equinox 800 display number. Only one ring (# 13) had a variable number (16/17).

[attachment 368426 RingsfromTop.jpg]
[attachment 368427 Ringssideview.jpg]
Shown are 19 gold rings used to assess gold ring weight on Equinox 800
display number. The numbers on top of each ring correspond to weight (g)
and Equinox 800 display number.
[Although top of figs show "18k", one ring was 22k.]

The graph shows Equinox 800 display number across gold ring weight (g). Each triangle represents a different gold ring. There is a significant (linear) relation between gold ring weight and Equinox 800 display number; as weight increases so does Equinox 800 display number. However, a close inspection of the data shows that between about 3g and 11g there is no relationship between weight and number. It is primarily rings below 3 g that create the relationship between weight and number; if you drop out the 4 rings below 3g, Equinox 800 display number for gold rings varies from 11 to 21 regardless of weight.

[attachment 368428 GoldweightbyEquinoxNumber.jpg]

The take home message here about gold rings and Equinox 800 display number is that gold rings can range from 5 to 21, with the majority of rings (16/19, 84%) falling between 11 and 19. Interestingly, US coins, except nickels, are outside this range and if you concentrate on finding coins you’ll miss the majority of gold rings. So the next time you’re hunting in Park 2 remember the next solid hit you get, between Equinox 800 display numbers 11 and 19, just might be a gold ring. All the rings in this experiment gave solid hits at 4”. You’ll never know unless you dig it.

Happy Hunting

Good job! I've found your results to be true on our Florida beaches as well. Gold spans a wide spectrum on the VDI scale.

Soldier on...

LawrencetheMDer said:
To further evaluate the Equinox 800 I bought in May, I looked at gold ring weight and Equinox 800 display number for 19 gold rings. The rings varied in weight from 0.8g to 11.05g and 15 of the 19 were 14k, one was 10k, 2 were 18k and one was 22k. I “air-tested” the rings at about 4” from the standard 11” coil in program Park 2.

The first 2 pictures show the 19 rings I tested and they’re arranged from lightest to heaviest (more or less) from top left to bottom right. Above each ring is its weight in grams (g) and corresponding Equinox 800 display number. Only one ring (# 13) had a variable number (16/17).

[attachment 368426 RingsfromTop.jpg]
[attachment 368427 Ringssideview.jpg]
Shown are 19 gold rings used to assess gold ring weight on Equinox 800
display number. The numbers on top of each ring correspond to weight (g)
and Equinox 800 display number.
[Although top of figs show "18k", one ring was 22k.]

The graph shows Equinox 800 display number across gold ring weight (g). Each triangle represents a different gold ring. There is a significant (linear) relation between gold ring weight and Equinox 800 display number; as weight increases so does Equinox 800 display number. However, a close inspection of the data shows that between about 3g and 11g there is no relationship between weight and number. It is primarily rings below 3 g that create the relationship between weight and number; if you drop out the 4 rings below 3g, Equinox 800 display number for gold rings varies from 11 to 21 regardless of weight.

[attachment 368428 GoldweightbyEquinoxNumber.jpg]

The take home message here about gold rings and Equinox 800 display number is that gold rings can range from 5 to 21, with the majority of rings (16/19, 84%) falling between 11 and 19. Interestingly, US coins, except nickels, are outside this range and if you concentrate on finding coins you’ll miss the majority of gold rings. So the next time you’re hunting in Park 2 remember the next solid hit you get, between Equinox 800 display numbers 11 and 19, just might be a gold ring. All the rings in this experiment gave solid hits at 4”. You’ll never know unless you dig it.

Happy Hunting

A friend and me have combined out gold and plat rings and I weighed each one of them and wrote down the number was gonna do something very similar we have about 35 between the both of us. How did you get the graph? I'm no math wiz lol. Thanks

Mike K

I did nearly 150 golds.... weight seems to have little to do with it. Goes to show you once again....gold can fall anywhere between 1 and 23.

On the beach if it beeps you need to dig it. I have dug some small gold throwing up 2's. Any goofy number is great to see.

Thank you Larry for testing and sharing your data with us.

So the take away is a solid number for 99%, with only one bouncer, and they can be odd numbers. If alway thought they were even numbers like 12, 14 etc.

Tony NJ

Hey Mike K; Regarding making the graph, I used Excal (1999 or something like that) and the graphics (like Bar graph and scatter plots) Options. As part of the options when you do a scatter plot is to do a fitted line through the data, linear is one option, and you can also get the R(2), variance, or R (correlation). But I'm sure there are free programs available on line to do scatter plots and linear regression.

My problem is figuring out how to import a graph made in Excal to be for example a jpg file... Oh well

Its a neat graft........ but do you have one for say an Xcal...... something to compare it to?

Great finds I dig just about any solid signal the 11 gram ring front row second from left with the black stone that looks exactly like a ring I found can you show a pic of the side? mine kind of look like a gold nugget and mine was 11 or 11.5 grams
The ring I found was hit by a lawnmower so the stone was missing I'll post a pic of it here..
Thanks
Mark

One issue with gold rings (especially white gold) is that the alloy varies. 14kt gold is only 58.5% gold with the other material being silver or copper (yellow gold), or nickel, palladium, silver and some other metals (white gold).

I think the alloy makes a bigger difference on the tgt ID then the weight

Probably need an XRF gun to measure the metal, but in the end they all come up in the low #'s

I hunt in Europe and almost every piece is 18k, or .750 gold

Cheap jewelry old is 8kt with is 1/3 gold. Don't find much of this.

But we always dig the lower signals because that is where the 1&2 Euro coins come in at