Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

gold ring?

Hit a yard sale this morning and bought a small box of jewelry-has 14k bracelet, 5 matching sets of earrings, and a nice ring with 4 pale red stones-between the stones is a silver looking design attached to ring-Markings on ring is SUMAL and 10KP-does KP stand for karet/platinum-what is your opinion-thanks

Expert: Thomas
Date: 9/9/2005
Subject: Marking inside ring

Question
My mother in law's ring is stamped "14k-P". Before the 14k, there is a "G" with a circle around it. Can you tell me what the G symbol means? I am also interested in what the "P" indicates. The ring is yellow gold with a silver colored metal holding in the stones. Does the P indicate platinum for setting? I thought "PL" or "plat" would indicate that. She said it wasn't extremely expensive. Please advise. Thank you!

Answer
Hello and thanks for this question, Tara.

THE

http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/caratgold.html

Thomas:

That was one of the best, most thorough answers to a jewelry question I've seen. A few years ago, I was doing a promotion in a jewelry store when a (very angry) customer stormed in, demanding a full refund for a ring she had purchased from the "Estate" department there about a month earlier. The owner had gone out to lunch, and the person who had been left in charge had only been in the trade for a few years, and did not know anything about the subject (The customer insisted that the ring, purchased as 18kt, was bogus), and was not able to handle the irate customer, so he called me over to assist.

As soon as I saw it, I knew who the manufacturer was, as the style (during the time that the ring was made) was very distinctive. Inside the shank was an "18K-P" stamp. (This manufacturer made primarily 18K rings that were of of very fine quality.) I asked the customer why it was that she thought the piece was "fake", and she said that while she was in another jewelry store, someone had offered to clean her ring at no charge, and when she asked about the meaning of the "-P" suffix on the the stamp, she was told that it meant PLATED!

I'll tell you, I generally manage to maintain a fairly businesslike demeanor while on the sales floor of a retail store, but I just cracked up.... it was one of the absolute dumbest things I've ever heard of a someone in a jewelry store telling a customer, and the store she had been in is part of a small family-owned chain with an outstanding reputation and a long lineage. Fortunately, I was able to explain the meaning of the stamp to the customer's satisfaction, and all was well.... in fact, she had purchased the ring at a truly great price.

I know two years is not a long time but I have never seen the P mark. I am sure it exists, but it must have only been used for a short time.

I have always known about the 13.5K problem and it still exists. I have a digital electronic gold tester and it is very accurate. I rarely see any 14K test at 14. Most of the time it comes in at 13.5 or even less. The same hold true for every other K stamping. It has gotten to the point that I NEVER believe what the stamp says.

There are a few countries that I can trust. I have purchased three 18K chains that were made in Japan and they tested at 18K. Italy is also pretty good.

But you have to watch out for counterfeits. Last month someone sent me a beautiful, heavy (over one ounce) bracelet stamped 18K. I didn't test it right away, I knew it was gold, some company did a lot of work on it. I did the math to see what it was worth. (over $1200 value in fine gold) Then later I pulled out my Gt3000 tester to check the K and it read as base metal. The thing was a worthless counterfeit. I mailed it back to my customer with a check for the real gold and silver items he sent.

The G with a circle around it is for Gordon's Jewelers.

http://www.gordonsjewelers.com/

I have a ring with that mark and the original box.

I have a ring with G2 marked inside the band..... I have shown the ring to many other people and all agree that it's a G2 and not CZ , just to make sure that my eyes were not deceiving me :) .... does anyone know what this mark stands for? The ring has a gold band and the setting that holds the "diamonds" is a silver tone. I wear this ring often and it does not leave tarnish marks .

Why are all these gold ring questions being asked on the Ghost Town forum instead of the beach forum where there might be someone that knows something about rings.