Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold rings in the dirt

stateguyt

For those of you who hunt parks and schools ball fields etc. how many pieces of gold do you find in a year
and how many times do you go in a year( if you keep track)

I hardly find any because I don’t have the screen open that far, but I can relate a story for you that’s gonna take some translation to your machine. It goes like this...a fellow named Neilo tested 30 (I think) different sizes and shapes of gold rings on his dual readout Explorer, I think it was an Explorer2. He found they all read between 7 and 13 on the Ferrous reading and between 0 and 25 on the Conductive side. The majority read 8 or 9 on the Ferrous reading and 6 to 14 on the Conductive reading.
The point is...we know that gold can be all over the place, and mask it a little bit to really make it wacky. But you can narrow down the ODDS a bunch to get you in the park, which is where it sounds like you are already.🤠

I average 20 a year from dirt gold, and I usually detect at least twice a week when it isn’t freezing, heat doesn’t bother me. But only a couple, of those come from the CTX at best, and usually those from the CTX are class rings that ring up in the penny range. My Fisher F75+ is actually my gold ring magnet. Seems like a lot but I have an advantage. They almost all come from sports fields on a military base where soldiers do physical training in the morning. Barely any trash, and they lose rings like crazy because they take them off and stick them in their training short ring pocket, which ends up falling out. Lots of times I find the rings attached to keys also. They should just leave the rings at home, and out of all that I’ve found I’ve only been able to return one.

I average 20 a year from dirt gold, and I usually detect at least twice a week when it isn’t freezing, heat doesn’t bother me. But only a couple, of those come from the CTX at best, and usually those from the CTX are class rings that ring up in the penny range. My Fisher F75+ is actually my gold ring magnet. Seems like a lot but I have an advantage. They almost all come from sports fields on a military base where soldiers do physical training in the morning. Barely any trash, and they lose rings like crazy because they take them off and stick them in their training short ring pocket, which ends up falling out. Lots of times I find the rings attached to keys also. They should just leave the rings at home, and out of all that I’ve found I’ve only been able to return one.

Exactly where is this again?:p

Exactly where is this again?:p
Hahahaha, Ft. Meade, MD. But it was exactly the same, even better actually, when I was stationed at Ft. Bragg. The amount of rings and jewelry at Ft. Bragg was mind blowing, and all with little trash compared to a park. Ft. Bragg had the benefit of the airborn drop zones where you could chase overload signals and walk out with bucket fulls of knives, Gerbers, watches, etc.

I brought a new detectorist out with me 2 weeks ago, his first time out with a new Simplex, a 10 minute lesson on how to identify good targets, and hits 3 rings. An 8 gram 14k and 2 tungsten, he already scrapped the gold one to Midwest and almost cleared his detector.

Hahahaha, Ft. Meade, MD. But it was exactly the same, even better actually, when I was stationed at Ft. Bragg. The amount of rings and jewelry at Ft. Bragg was mind blowing, and all with little trash compared to a park. Ft. Bragg had the benefit of the airborn drop zones where you could chase overload signals and walk out with bucket fulls of knives, Gerbers, watches, etc.

I brought a new detectorist out with me 2 weeks ago, his first time out with a new Simplex, a 10 minute lesson on how to identify good targets, and hits 3 rings. An 8 gram 14k and 2 tungsten, he already scrapped the gold one to Midwest and almost cleared his detector.

That is really good info for guys who detect around the bases, and the reasoning as to WHY it happens is good to know. Well done Rav, good luck with more!

I would venture to say that most dirt hunters as well as most beach hunters have never found a gold ring. Indeed, I think the rarity of gold is one reason many dirt diggers concentrate on coins, including silver and may actively screen out junk that also often includes gold numbers or coordinates. Simply put, most people with metal detectors don't put in enough hours of study and hunting to find a gold ring. They're rare! And it is hard to find gold. I can't tell you how many detectorists I have talked to on the beach over the years who have been hunting for years and have yet to find gold. Luckily, that doesn't apply to me; but then again, I put in the 100s hours of study (books, weather, water conditions, beach cam evaluations, etc., etc.) and 100s hours of hunting in ideal places to find gold (cool water southern beaches).
So if you haven't found gold, yet, don't despair. It is not unusual, at all. Just make sure you're having fun with detector in hand and enjoy whatever treasures it does bring to you. And if it happens to be gold...good.

Gold - 14
Silver - 17

I would venture to say that most dirt hunters as well as most beach hunters have never found a gold ring. Indeed, I think the rarity of gold is one reason many dirt diggers concentrate on coins, including silver and may actively screen out junk that also often includes gold numbers or coordinates. Simply put, most people with metal detectors don't put in enough hours of study and hunting to find a gold ring. They're rare! And it is hard to find gold. I can't tell you how many detectorists I have talked to on the beach over the years who have been hunting for years and have yet to find gold. Luckily, that doesn't apply to me; but then again, I put in the 100s hours of study (books, weather, water conditions, beach cam evaluations, etc., etc.) and 100s hours of hunting in ideal places to find gold (cool water southern beaches).
So if you haven't found gold, yet, don't despair. It is not unusual, at all. Just make sure you're having fun with detector in hand and enjoy whatever treasures it does bring to you. And if it happens to be gold...good.

Gold - 14
Silver - 17
Keep it up and happy hunting!