Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold Rings??

AK in KY

I have found a couple of rings that look like wedding bands. One is stamped 18K and the other 14K. Problem is they both look like copper or brass. Anyone have any idea's?

AK in KY

All gold is yellow - there is no such thing as red, pink or rose gold but there are gold alloys which appear rose, red, or pink.
Gold itself is a yellow but too soft to be used for general purposes in its pure form - so it's mixed with other metals to produce an alloy mixture of two or more metals. Most people prefer the color of gold jewelery close to pure gold - so most jewelery has been made using yellow gold alloys. Most gold alloys are a mixture of gold, copper and silver - small amounts of other materials are also added to provide special characteristics such as - nickel, zinc, and palladium - common components of white gold alloys.
Rose, Red and Pink Gold colored alloys are very simple to produce by increasing the proportion of copper in the mix. To maintain the correct % of gold in the alloy, usually means decreasing the silver content - and save cost - as copper is less expensive than silver. The difference between red, rose, and pink golds is only the name.
Only two metallic elements are not silver in color. Gold - yellow, and copper - red. By adjusting the proportions of gold, silver and copper, it's possible to vary the color from very pale yellow - "green" gold, to a deep red, or to a deep gold.

I have several that are marked 18K that are fakes as I knew it when I dug them and they were not the nice shinny of gold. All the gold rings I have seen will not corrode or tarnish and come out of the ground looking like new.
Those I have that are fakes probably look like gold when new, but were actually polished brass or copper and were sold to those that couldnt afford real gold or from a traveling salesman to those that didnt get to town that much and wanted to get their sweeties a wedding ring I was told.
If they are corroded or dirty looking out of the ground they are probably fakes, but take them to your local jeweler to be sure.