Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

gold test kit advice

I don't have a gold test kit because I never find any gold. Brand,:rofl: I smoke Pall Malls.

I bought a kit off Amazon (recommended) just to have the ability to check those “I dont know” finds, its the acid and scratch type. Now that I have it I haven’t had the need to actually use it. Thats what Cole’s Law dictates.

I bought a kit off Amazon (recommended) just to have the ability to check those “I dont know” finds, its the acid and scratch type. Now that I have it I haven’t had the need to actually use it. Thats what Cole’s Law dictates.
How long do these acid kits last sitting on the shelf?

As time goes by the dependability of the reading becomes questionale but it will still be able to tell whether something is gold or not. I still use the same kit I got 8 - 10 years ago and things that read 14 k are usually actually 10 but it still weeds out the plated junk.

I have both acid and electronic. The electronic by far is more accurate, I have found unmarked gold jewelry on the beach and several miss mark fake items on the beach as well with it. It is very accurate but a little pricey.

I guess the lesson here is if in doubt with the acid take it to a jeweler. I had a guy at the pawn shop tell me a smushed silver ring I had was fake after he tested it. Changed his mind when I showed him the jewelry shop slip showing 925. He retested and said he must of misread his results. Im betting most folks would have him throw it away and he simply keeps it and takes the melt value……

I guess the lesson here is if in doubt with the acid take it to a jeweler. I had a guy at the pawn shop tell me a smushed silver ring I had was fake after he tested it. Changed his mind when I showed him the jewelry shop slip showing 925. He retested and said he must of misread his results. Im betting most folks would have him throw it away and he simply keeps it and takes the melt value……
i have found probably a half dozen pieces of jewelry marked 14K that were junk. i always wonder if the people who lost the didn't ever know they were taken. first off get a good magnet, even stainless will have some attraction. I once found a huge mens necklace 14K white gold. I suspected it was fake and went to a gold dealer, he put a magnet on it and was stainless. Damn thing had me up half the night, i was pumped. LOL If it were gold it was over $2300 scrap. I learned alot since then. This pic was a real deal, Marquise 11/4 carat diamond and more on 14k ring.

Attachments

• 52AE6027-2C48-4B4F-B9EB-A11DF9D0D72A.jpeg
    52AE6027-2C48-4B4F-B9EB-A11DF9D0D72A.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
There was an old guy called "Tabdog" who has since passed,who used what he called a M24 gold tester,electronic and seemed pretty accurate to me.He used to have some pics of it in use. Search this site,he,s got some old posts that might be the ones I,m talking about. He was from Little Rock,about a 100 miles North of me and a good detector,I miss his posts.

There was an old guy called "Tabdog" who has since passed,who used what he called a M24 gold tester,electronic and seemed pretty accurate to me.He used to have some pics of it in use. Search this site,he,s got some old posts that might be the ones I,m talking about. He was from Little Rock,about a 100 miles North of me and a good detector,I miss his posts.
RS Mizar M24 gold tester. I've had one for a long time. It is pretty good for gold. Today they seem to sell for about three times what I paid when I bought one. I still need to get an acid kit to check for silver and platinum.
Edited to add: I've had some gold filled jewelry that tested good until I took a file and nicked the piece to get through the outer layer; then it tested "not gold" with the Mizar once the base metal was exposed. Filing a little notch is something I regularly do to make sure; just like checking with a magnet is a normal first screening.

Last edited:
i have found probably a half dozen pieces of jewelry marked 14K that were junk. i always wonder if the people who lost the didn't ever know they were taken. first off get a good magnet, even stainless will have some attraction. I once found a huge mens necklace 14K white gold. I suspected it was fake and went to a gold dealer, he put a magnet on it and was stainless. Damn thing had me up half the night, i was pumped. LOL If it were gold it was over $2300 scrap. I learned alot since then. This pic was a real deal, Marquise 11/4 carat diamond and more on 14k ring.
I bought a test kit from a jewelry supply company that consists of a stone and acids for different carats. But when i take stuff to a guy i know that is very good at what he does buying and selling gold, silver, coins etc the first thing he does to weed out stuff is use a magnet.
If it passes the magnet test then he will scratch and use the acid.
Im not familiar with the electric testing.
Is it some sort of little device like for testing diamonds?

I bought a test kit from a jewelry supply company that consists of a stone and acids for different carats. But when i take stuff to a guy i know that is very good at what he does buying and selling gold, silver, coins etc the first thing he does to weed out stuff is use a magnet.
If it passes the magnet test then he will scratch and use the acid.
Im not familiar with the electric testing.
Is it some sort of little device like for testing diamonds?

There are a few electronic gold testers in the couple hundred dollar range. If you really want to step up in testers look at the XRF testers ... but you could buy a new car for their selling price.
Mine is a Gemoro and does a great job, have found a few unmarked pieces and takes the guess work out of it. Hated to lay the money out but gives you peace of mind.

Mine is a Gemoro and does a great job, have found a few unmarked pieces and takes the guess work out of it. Hated to lay the money out but gives you peace of mind.
I went detecting the beach yesterday, found a mens chain corroded badly. Thought it was copper or bronze, cleaned it and was marked 18 K and 30.5 grams. Tested it and as I thought it was fake. LOL