Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold Test Kits and Needles...

thinkin2

I never figured I really needed a gold test kit until now but I dug a gold chain stamped 14K a few weeks ago and I'm not sure if it's a fake or not. I tried the magnet test but it doesn't seem to be drawn to it plus it looks like a good bit of copper color, especially on the clasp areas. I heard from a friend that there seem to be quite a few fake chains around that are stamped with K marks. Anyway, the more I read about these kits I think only a basic acid test kit is all I need but I've seen some with needles and some without needles. Are needles needed or just a convenience? I know there are electronic kits but I think they are more than I need or want to spend. Thanks for any help. --Jerry

The acid test with the stone works the best. Don't waste your money on the electronic tester unless you want to spend big bucks for a good one.

Bobbie is right, the stone works the best, and if you get all the different acids 10K, 14K, 18K,you can tell what K it is.

You don't need the needles, you'll just rub a small trace of the metal on the test stone and a drop of acid will tell you if it's gold or not.

Thanks, everybody, I appreciate the help. So, the acid and stone is all I will get. Thanks also, Cal, because although lots of kits advertise the needles they don't really talk about them much. I did find one site that said they were used to compare the gold with but if the acid tests the gold I wouldn't think you would need anything else to compare it with. Just one more step, maybe to make sure the acid is still good? Who knows but I don't think I will get them. I saw an acid test kit on Amazon that was only about $15 US. Do any of you know how to make your own acids? Thanks again. --Jerry

Just 2.50 per bottle and order the small cheap stone it works fine.If you ask when you order they will e-mail you instructions an how to use and what to expect as a result. HH

http://www.nationaljewelerssupplies.com/p/ETTES110.html

Thanks, PaPa-Joe. Looks pretty much like what Amazon sells only the stone is included at Amazon. --Jerry