Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold under Quartz crystals?

claddagh

hi,
I've just been testing the 70 on some rocks and minerals that belong to my mother in law and on one quartz specimen the 70 gives off a good sound in prospect mode(using the 10x5 coil) even if i turn the iron mask up to 20 the signal is still strong in c&t mode its gives a solid 2 , I have another small quartz crystal with gold on it and it gives a solid -2 , unfortunately what ever it is, is hidden below the quartz crystals.I thought maybe it could be copper ,and before I resort to the hammer and chisel technique I thought I would ask here, Thought you guys in the US or Australia might have have encountered this.
I also tested the concentric coil on the gold sample in prospect mode same settings as the 10x5, a signal is there but nothing like the strong signal with the 10x5 .Excellent machine this 70!.
Sorry can't send any pictures at the moment.
Thanks
HH,
John

This is an interesting post. I was using the X-70 in the goldfields last week with my 5"x10" Elliptical and picked up a number of -2 / -6 / -8 signals under water and also on the ground but chose to ignore them. I did pose a question on the forums covering this but no-one answered.
It's possible that you have gold in the quartz and it's also possible that the mineral contained is iron as well since both seem to be associated with one another. Most of the time when out in the country, I scan quartz on the ground just in case there's a specimen.

If your quartz is not important to you just as it is... crack it open and let us know if you find anything. I've had a few small nuggets show +2 & +4 when embedded in quartz too.

Gold nuggets & specimens seem to cover much of the TID range based on information I have collected... from -2 all the way up to +30.

Any similar observations from others here?

Thanks for the quick reply.
Thought though that with the iron mask set on max. that it should null out. But I won't be ignoring those -2 s anymore.

Will let you know if I get the go ahead to crack it open (failing that I'll just have to tell my mother in law I dropped it!).
Thanks for the info,
HH
John

Hi,
I cracked it open, it turns out there is a silver? or similar vein about a 1\4 mm thick and about 6 square cm running under the crystals.unfortunately not gold but interesting anyway.
HH
John

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering what was inside. Gold and silver are quite often associated with one another so that makes sense. Might be a good specimen still. A lot of mineral collectors like silver.