Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold vs. Foil

coindude

I fully believe that this machine, AT Pro, is going to be the finest gold jewelry machine that I have ever owned. I'll tell you why: I borrowed all my wifes gold rings, and other rings and chains that I have found over the years, took them to the back yard and did some tests.
I used the pro-zero mode, sensativity at 3 notches from the bottom, with iron discrimination at 35.

All the mens gold wedding bands(14kt.) fell in the range of tid 63-67, depending on size. The womens gold rings that were small to medium regardless of kt. weight fell in the 43-48 range, one larger ladies ring came in at a solid 52(same as nickels). Gold chains would almost always come in at 41-43,regardles of their orientation to the coil. Though several would have a broken tone.
The one thing that I found fascinating was the fact the rings or chains would 'lock' on a number and would not vary more than two numbers , and most times not more than one number period. Several rings would lock on and not vary even one number. I then compared that to various pieces of foil and aluminum that would also fall into those number ranges, and the numbers on those targets would 'bounce' 3,4, or 5 numbers . Now this is what my old DFX would do in 15khz, and I found plenty of gold jewelry with it.

Took these facts to the park today, and though there was no gold today, I dug a lot of targets with these varying numbers, and every one was indeed trash.
My conclusion(though not professional I'll admit) If targets fall into those ranges and have an excellent tone with the numbers holding solid, DIG.

Targets in those ranges with bouncing numbers varying by 3 or more numbers will almost always be trash.
Anybody with anymore input on this gold subject would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
More to follow.

What about pulltabs?
Of course it would be nice if a pattern could be observed.
Those new rectangle ones fall in or right above the nickel section.

Thanks for the tips:thumbup: It's always nice to know about little tips that get discovered that aren't in the manual. That's why it is so important to dig all targets when first using a particular metal detector.

coindude said:
I fully believe that this machine, AT Pro, is going to be the finest gold jewelry machine that I have ever owned. I'll tell you why: I borrowed all my wifes gold rings, and other rings and chains that I have found over the years, took them to the back yard and did some tests.
I used the pro-zero mode, sensativity at 3 notches from the bottom, with iron discrimination at 35.

All the mens gold wedding bands(14kt.) fell in the range of tid 63-67, depending on size. The womens gold rings that were small to medium regardless of kt. weight fell in the 43-48 range, one larger ladies ring came in at a solid 52(same as nickels). Gold chains would almost always come in at 41-43,regardles of their orientation to the coil. Though several would have a broken tone.
The one thing that I found fascinating was the fact the rings or chains would 'lock' on a number and would not vary more than two numbers , and most times not more than one number period. Several rings would lock on and not vary even one number. I then compared that to various pieces of foil and aluminum that would also fall into those number ranges, and the numbers on those targets would 'bounce' 3,4, or 5 numbers . Now this is what my old DFX would do in 15khz, and I found plenty of gold jewelry with it.

Took these facts to the park today, and though there was no gold today, I dug a lot of targets with these varying numbers, and every one was indeed trash.
My conclusion(though not professional I'll admit) If targets fall into those ranges and have an excellent tone with the numbers holding solid, DIG.

Targets in those ranges with bouncing numbers varying by 3 or more numbers will almost always be trash.
Anybody with anymore input on this gold subject would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
More to follow.

That is great information and I will have to watch for the non-coin steady number readings more closely.

Foil will jump around , but pull tabs where I hunt hit LOUD and they are also the shape of rings and hit in the same numbered area ....There are so many different types of pull tabs and broken pull tabs and they all hit pretty solid and stay on the same number give or take 2 numbers or so ....I dig them anyway just to make sure since I know they are in the gold range ....I always said that if a company could ever come up with a way of telling pull tabs from gold rings they would make a KILLING !!.....I'll double check my findings again, and will hope that they work out under YOUR scenario but I think they will hit pretty solid ....When the numbers jump around like you say 3, 4, or 5 numbers , I don't dig that target normally ....I'll check closer though ....Thanks for the tip ....Jim

Excellent info, particularly the continuous hit on the same digits. All those 63-67's I passed up today, I know where you are, I'm going back to get you.

I have found that a lot of my foil signal's audio is scratchy. The three small gold pieces I've found in the foil range were not scratchy. Aluminum the same size as coins hit harder and sharper than coins. Now none of this is 100% accurate. But just some things I've noticed.

Very interesting! lets see if we all together could see if this apllies to all. Because it would really make everything much easier.

I agree with the above. The cleaner the tone the more chance it is of being something worthwhile. Foil, even a lot of can slaw sound messier then gold or silver and the ID jumps around more. All my round bits of pull tabs have id'ed between 50 and 55, so much so that I am seriously thinking of blanking out the third notch. The 3 pieces of gold I have recovered have all been in the 60's so the majority of gold should get through but a lot less pull tabs, that solid ladies ring in the 52 mark described by coindude above may just keep me collecting aluminum though.....

I will NEVER blank out the 50's range ....That is the range where you find smaller womans gold rings .....especially diamond rings !!....... When I dig a Pull Tab, I am ssured that I am in the gold range !!..... DON"T DO IT Ipaddler !!......You'll regret it ......Jim

If you never want to find the average sized gold rings and nickels, then you can go ahead and leave the 50 - 55's in the ground for me.

That was my key on DFX gold as well. Watch for the low variable VDI numbers. Works on the AT Pro as well.

The first two hunts with the ATpro produced 3 pieces of gold. One was a very tiny 14k ring. All three targets hit around 41 to 43.