Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold!!!!

Ken in Georgia

Well it happen, Buy a gold detector and look !!!! :teknetics: #1 VDI 58,59,61 but mainly 59. sens 89, GG 63.9, 5 inches down.

Wow, Ken, way to go. I love your G2 logo. Nice touch. I am hoping for a solid day of soggy detecting tomorrow. Stopped to double check my permissions and the news kept getting better and better. A guy familiar with the property told me that there were ancient trash pits and a really old iron fence on the property. He mentioned finding cool old bottles and lots of brick pieces along the creek. Better yet, stopped at another neighbors house and ended up getting permission to hunt his house, built pre-1860. Surely one of the places will be dry enough tomorrow to give it a whirl. I may get wet, soggy, and muddy but I am hunting tomorrow.

Don
HH

Super nice! I'd be on cloud nine if I found something like that. 59 & 61 have been giving me a pull tabs. A solid 57 gives me nickles. A weak 57 gives me tabs without the rings attached.

Love the gold Ken. Get ready to find allot more. But don't expect to get any consistency in VDI # Ive had small 2.5 g 14k chain hit in the 30s and a large 17.9 gram 10k religious medallion hit at 79 which is exactly where zincolns hit for me. Small earrings bounce around as low as 18. And small pendants hit exactly like foil at 42. Brings to mind the old saying, (Gold Is where you find it) Mainly a prospecting saying but applies here due to the varying IDs.
Congrats on the Gold..
HH
godigit

stretched out

that's what i am talking about-way to go!

godigit1 what do you set your DISC at if you don't mind? i been setting at 40 from reading your post that's too high?

cheers
amberjack

amberjack said:
that's what i am talking about-way to go!

godigit1 what do you set your DISC at if you don't mind? i been setting at 40 from reading your post that's too high?

cheers
amberjack

Hey Amberjack
I set it at 40 but only the tone break. Everything below 40 hits low tone. This does not disc out any iron. You hear everything and make a decision to dig the signals or not. Some are no brainers and others take a few passes before I dig or not. Most the time I do not dig below VDIs of 40 but once in a while something just sounds right. It takes a while with your machine and digging hundreds of different signals. Most all the earring studs I have dug have been In places where I have dug everything like a volleyball court. this is when I came to the realization that I couldn't count on a vdi for small or deep items. its really hard sometimes to wade through all the foil and pull tabs but seems just about the time I'm sick of it something good hits and keeps me going. Here is a hunt where I had dug hands full of foil and tabs and was just about going to start cherry picking when i hit the gold bracelet. Vdi On it was running 40 to 45 and the signal was intermittent but I went ahead and dug. Boy was I glad I did. then right after that hit the silver bracelet.[attachment 189510 DSCN0506.JPG][attachment 189511 DSCN0508.JPG][attachment 189512 DSCN0509.JPG]
Boy was that a good day!
Ive read you got a PI on the way Congrats on that. I would use it in the wet and your bug in the dry. Make sure to get a sand scoop and work fast seems to be a numbers game with the Pi units as they see everything. I have a Sand shark but have only gotten to the beach with it once. Next time you can guarantee Ill have a sand scoop.
Be Well
Godigit

G'Day Godigit

nice one with the gold !! great day out bet you where smiling on the inside :clapping:

oh OK i set mine with the tone brake at 40 too so the bracelet was just on the 40? was it solid or bouncy? guess i just have to keep digging :clapping: i am starting to call them before i dig see how i am doing getting better at it slowly :rolleyes: i agree its the prizes for hard work that keep me going, went down the beach yesterday and dug junk and a few coins about $2.70 then the 925 silver ring yeah made me smile on the inside have to keep a poker face :drool: oh i am hooked for sure just love it.

thanks heaps for all the tips they sure help!!

yes i think the sand scoop will be needed from what i am reading there are a few beaches with not much junk around so might try the DF there and see how it goes, so have to carry the scoop in my other hand ? do people have holders to carry them? will be hitting the tennis ball hard once i get back for a hit that's if i can find time away from the detectors :detecting:

This is a good thread, and CONGRATS on the great necklace, Ken!!

Hey godigit, you said
Can you describe that more? With my F70 -- I have had days where I say "I am finding my first gold jewelry today. I'm digging every foil/tab/nickel signal," and thus far -- that's what I've dug, foil, pull tabs, nickels, etc. I haven't had the "reward" yet, only a pouch full of junk. Is there any way you can describe what you hear on the Gold Bug that tells you that THIS junk ID might NOT be junk, whereas THIS junk ID is more likely just that -- junk?

Steve

Hey Steve,
Its mostly about location and what I have been finding there. Foil that is close to the surface hits real hard and with a locked id # and larger foil with a little depth does the same for me. So when Ive dug enough targets from a area to start to get a fell for whats there I start noticing the differences. The choppy hits of small iron versus a clean hit with a jumpy Vdi and or a real clean hit in one direction only.
My pinpoint Vco also gives allot of info I know it is only supposed to have one tone but it reacts to different items with personality. On the classic forum BhLandstar has a thread ( GBP and F% video #2) that both of us have posted videos on and in my video where I recover the two items in my back yard the second item has a definite different sound. Sorta a grumble type sound. I get that allot on thin copper especially if on edge.and sometimes on iron it does not want to lock in. Every machine has its own personality and once you start hitting some gold you will notice small changes in the signal and sound. If your digging the tabs and foil its just a matter of time. But one thing for sure is location, you have to be in a spot where people are going to loose the items you desire. Sports fields, volley ball courts, parks and especially beaches. When at a location try to think out of the box and hit spots that others might not. Everyone works the middle of a field pretty hard and some times the edges get passed over.
Hope this helped its really hard to describe the relation you get with your machine and some of it I think is almost subconscious. LOL
HH
godigit

godigit --

Thanks for this additional info. I understand that what I'm basically asking you to do is take some nearly subconscious connections that you have made, over years and years, and asking you to put them into words -- very hard, I'm sure! :)

I will see if I can find the thread you refer to, with the video. I am hoping that the VCO on the Bug allows me to learn "subtleties" with different targets over time; I also know that alot of it IS location. I hunt a park that has had good traffic for 120 years, but also, I expect, a bunch of detectorists. I have found some "interesting" and "unusual" parts of the park (once under some shrubs, once right along some large rocks that line the front of a stage) where I have CLEARLY pulled out more stuff than other areas -- and I suspect these are areas that other dectectorists have missed. Further, I have pulled out two rings at this park -- one, a junk metal ring, and another, a small .925 with an onyx in it. But, both of these were higher tones, which in both cases I expected to be coins. I have yet to find the gold, ringing up in the "junk" VDI zone. I just wondered if there is a way to up the percentages of WHAT "junk" you dig, based on sound subtleties. I guess the answer is, to some degree, YES, there is a way to dig somewhat "less" low VDI junk and somewhat "more" low VDI goodies based on sound (i.e. improving the "trash to treasure" ratio a little bit), but it's something that apparently can basically only be learned through experience. So, "hunt more" seems to be the answer! Which is not a TERRIBLE answer... :)

Let me see if I can find that video you refer to...

Steve

hi Guys

i have to agree with godigit like i am some expert or something :blink: but just from my time with the bug nothing beats time with it to understand it and i too think then its trusting my gut feel on a target and if i am not sure dig and see :detecting:.

also it seems once i think i have it worked out it throws in new stuff that i haven't heard before or didn't notice i think its part of the fun hard work but fun :clapping: i have lost 9kgs sense i started and was part of the reason i brought it but now i am hooked :wiggle:

maybe in 12 months i will know more hope so but will have fun learning :clapping:

Steve yours must be with you now how does it feel ?

well one thing i have learnt is i cant not go detecting am off now to a beach to see what pokes its head up for me to see and this i know i have a good machine in my hands so if i am not finding anything i just wait a bit and i will :yikes: just have to see what it is.

amberjack

amberjack --

YES!!! I have it -- opened the box last evening! Bad news is, my wife's laptop was having issues, so I spent like 3 hours trying to get it fixed -- which means, I had no time to check out the detector. I turned it one, checked out the modes, ran it over the floor of my house (and hit some metal targets in the concrete!!) but that's it. I am going to LOVE this thing, I can just tell. Very similar in feel (weight, etc.) to my F70, which is mounted on the same type of S-rod and has the same arm cup, etc. It's totally familiar in that way, now I just need to get used to the intricacies of this machine versus the F70. I plan to do air testing tonight, and hunting this weekend!

Can't wait!

Let us know how you do out on the beach, today.

Steve

oh computers are fun ain't they! i think that's a good attitude to have maybe i think i am going to find something i will?? sure is teaching me more than detecting its so much more for me!! just glad i got involved :clapping:

so you will have a good weekend then :crazy:

i ended up not going had to do some work pay for the new PI which involved a computer too! much rather be out swinging one thank working with it but have to pay the bills hey!!\

raining now so no fresh drops this weekend so will go re hunt some more productive beaches :detecting:

now i think i have to sleep all out of wack i am :detecting::laugh:

amberjack --

Yeah, that "work" thing sure does rob us of time to hunt! :) Just kidding.

I do think attitude does affect your finds. If you have confidence, in ANYTHING, I think it really shows up in your performance -- attention to detail, how "careful" you are, etc. Sure, some of it is luck (getting your coil over the right targets), but of the parts you CAN control, knowing your machine, and being confident, play a big part (many other folks I have read have definitely mentioned the "confidence in your machine" and "confidence on a given day" affecting your finds).

Steve

it is interesting hey sort of takes it to another dimension -like if i go down the beach thinking that 3 blokes have been before me and they have better machines i don't find much but if i think nope that's not real i have a great detector and it always finds i do find like both silver rings i have found it just kept coming in my head there's a ring coming soon and guess what out the popped.

sort of strange my Dad said to me today sense that lightning near hit you things have changed i was cleaning something under the tap and storm was around and wammo it hit 10 feet away from me i was at my parents went running inside wiping the electricity off me it was like stuck to me strange feeling but who knows maybe it fried some brain cells :rofl: