Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold

I have wondered about this too John.
Looks like opinions vary some about this.
With so many different sizes and styles of gold rings, they can show up all over the place, so I do not worry about it much.
I found two rings at the beach last month... one 10k and one 14k and both yellow gold, but different sizes and styles.
The 14k read 8 on my 800 and the other one read 15k.
They were different sizes and styles.
A couple years ago, I found 423 nickels in one year and not one piece of gold although I know gold can give the same reading.

Felix, that is quite surprising to pull that many nickels with no gold. Strange thing today in that I went out for about an hour and a half (first time out in about 6 months). Found $3.01 in clad and what I THOUGHT was a small silver ring. It rang up at 49 VDI (quarter range) and came out shiny with no rust. Buried about 2 inches deep. However, when I got it home and cleaned it up, there were no markings and it appears to be plated, with some of the plating coming off, but with shiny silver underneath as well. What of that color would ring up like silver but with a small size? Oh well, another one to ponder.

I have wondered about this too John.
Looks like opinions vary some about this.
With so many different sizes and styles of gold rings, they can show up all over the place, so I do not worry about it much.
I found two rings at the beach last month... one 10k and one 14k and both yellow gold, but different sizes and styles.
The 14k read 8 on my 800 and the other one read 15k.
They were different sizes and styles.
A couple years ago, I found 423 nickels in one year and not one piece of gold although I know gold can give the same reading.
I remember many years ago when I was newbie. Someone told me 'if you are not digging nickels, you are not digging gold' !!!
When I fianlly got a metered machine(fisher f75), I notched in the nickels and only once did I find a gold ring. Even that one was a scratchy, on the fringe signal.

Gold rings come in so many differnt sizes, shapes and carats, it can fall anywhere in the TID range. I once, almost didnt dig a signal cause it rang up as a zinc penny. Good thing
I did dig it, it was a huge 22k wedding band. Easily a size 11 and above. That's was nice about beach detecting, very easy to dig. Land detecting, just too difficult to dig all those zinc pennies !!!

Its hard to compare white gold to yellow gold as they must be the exact same size, weight and carat. But I for the rare occasion I dig a white gold ring, It usually comes in at a lower TID #.

HH
Donna(NJ)

Felix, that is quite surprising to pull that many nickels with no gold. Strange thing today in that I went out for about an hour and a half (first time out in about 6 months). Found $3.01 in clad and what I THOUGHT was a small silver ring. It rang up at 49 VDI (quarter range) and came out shiny with no rust. Buried about 2 inches deep. However, when I got it home and cleaned it up, there were no markings and it appears to be plated, with some of the plating coming off, but with shiny silver underneath as well. What of that color would ring up like silver but with a small size? Oh well, another one to ponder.
John,
I have found some silver rings that are marked as such, but looks like plating on them.
I was told by a jeweler that some companies actually apply nickel plating to them make them shine more… Avon is one such company that uses this process.
That ring may indeed be silver and nickel plated…

I remember many years ago when I was newbie. Someone told me 'if you are not digging nickels, you are not digging gold' !!!
When I fianlly got a metered machine(fisher f75), I notched in the nickels and only once did I find a gold ring. Even that one was a scratchy, on the fringe signal.

Gold rings come in so many differnt sizes, shapes and carats, it can fall anywhere in the TID range. I once, almost didnt dig a signal cause it rang up as a zinc penny. Good thing
I did dig it, it was a huge 22k wedding band. Easily a size 11 and above. That's was nice about beach detecting, very easy to dig. Land detecting, just too difficult to dig all those zinc pennies !!!

Its hard to compare white gold to yellow gold as they must be the exact same size, weight and carat. But I for the rare occasion I dig a white gold ring, It usually comes in at a lower TID #.

HH
Donna(NJ)
Sounds like a very nice find you made Donna!
After three years with the 800, I finally found two decent gold rings at the beach last month (I only go to the beach for a few days each year).
A friend loaned me his newly acquired 900 after he found out he was going to be out of action from foot surgery and I only used it a few times before sending it back to him… surprisingly one day while using it, I was getting acquainted with the new scale and searching for nickels (as well as other coins).
I got what I thought may be a nickel signal and dug it to find a nice little 14k wedding band!
I may have been over that ring in the past with my 800, but did not dig it because it did not give a nickel signal that I usually get TID wise on my 800.
With this in mind, I’m sure I have gotten my 800 over more gold, but did not dig it due to it not giving what I considered a nickel signal.

Sounds like a very nice find you made Donna!
After three years with the 800, I finally found two decent gold rings at the beach last month (I only go to the beach for a few days each year).
A friend loaned me his newly acquired 900 after he found out he was going to be out of action from foot surgery and I only used it a few times before sending it back to him… surprisingly one day while using it, I was getting acquainted with the new scale and searching for nickels (as well as other coins).
I got what I thought may be a nickel signal and dug it to find a nice little 14k wedding band!
I may have been over that ring in the past with my 800, but did not dig it because it did not give a nickel signal that I usually get TID wise on my 800.
With this in mind, I’m sure I have gotten my 800 over more gold, but did not dig it due to it not giving what I considered a nickel signal.
When at the beach, you gotta dig it all !!!! WTG !!!!

I just came back from a trip to England. I had the hardest time convincing 'the boys' DIG it all and forget about the TID !!!! I set my Deaus 2, put it in my pocket and off I go. Here's some of the ''junk' I dug in 2 weeks. All the lead was left in England !!!

I'll post the goodies when the unloads are faster!!!

HH
Donna(NJ)

Attachments

• IMG_6291.jpg
    IMG_6291.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6290.jpg
    IMG_6290.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 56
John,
I have found some silver rings that are marked as such, but looks like plating on them.
I was told by a jeweler that some companies actually apply nickel plating to them make them shine more… Avon is one such company that uses this process.
That ring may indeed be silver and nickel plated…

Well, Felix, it turns out you are right. I started looking up Avon rings and though I didn't find a match, I did find similar styles. Decided to clean that ring a bit better and voila NF925 inside. Until you mentioned that, I did not think silver was ever plated (except for vermeil). Here's a couple of pics of the ring.

Attachments

• IMG_3036 (1).jpg
    IMG_3036 (1).jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3033 (1).jpg
    IMG_3033 (1).jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 35