Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold

casull454

Just pondering something and figured the intelligent users here would probably provide a quick answer. Does white gold read higher than yellow gold of the same purity? I'm thinking it would since the white gold is alloyed with silver which is a higher conductor. But, yellow gold is alloyed with copper which is a higher conductor, but not as high as silver. Or is the difference negligible?

Where are you getting the info on the color/alloy ratios? What you say is logical but my understanding , and it could certainly be wrong , is that an alloy of gold and silver makes the gold more yellow contrary to the logic and alloying gold with copper results in rose gold. Logically both should run at a higher VDI.

1696535969093.jpeg

It appears the slight silver alloy does make gold yellow but as the amount increase the color changes considerably. I found a class ring once that was marked 10k and was a little paler than the normal color and it read a 71 on the Deus1 which was quite high for gold. I normally ran with normalization on the Deus so the frequency would not be an issue on the VDI

Just pondering something and figured the intelligent users here would probably provide a quick answer. Does white gold read higher than yellow gold of the same purity? I'm thinking it would since the white gold is alloyed with silver which is a higher conductor. But, yellow gold is alloyed with copper which is a higher conductor, but not as high as silver. Or is the difference negligible?
The small 14k white gold Ring I found back in February read ferrous 06 on my Manticore.

If you take 2 rings of the same purity and the "same size and weight" white gold usually reads lower. But the purity is not always exact. If the ring is stamped 14KP its "supposed" to be exactly 14K.

White gold is basically yellow gold with a plating over it

I believe it is alloyed with mostly nickel. If it was just plated over yellow gold I believe the plating would eventually wear off. Some of the old white gold bands I have found have a lot of wear on them.. (been worn for years and have deep scratches. ) I've seen no evidence of plating.
I was told by a jeweler that white gold does have a coating that needs to be applied from time to time due to wear... Not plating though.. I can't remember what she said they use.

I have wondered about this too John.
Looks like opinions vary some about this.
With so many different sizes and styles of gold rings, they can show up all over the place, so I do not worry about it much.
I found two rings at the beach last month... one 10k and one 14k and both yellow gold, but different sizes and styles.
The 14k read 8 on my 800 and the other one read 15k.
They were different sizes and styles.
A couple years ago, I found 423 nickels in one year and not one piece of gold although I know gold can give the same reading.

I have wondered about this too John.
Looks like opinions vary some about this.
With so many different sizes and styles of gold rings, they can show up all over the place, so I do not worry about it much.
I found two rings at the beach last month... one 10k and one 14k and both yellow gold, but different sizes and styles.
The 14k read 8 on my 800 and the other one read 15k.
They were different sizes and styles.
A couple years ago, I found 423 nickels in one year and not one piece of gold although I know gold can give the same reading.
That's an amazing number of nickels without 1 gold. The majority of small gold rings I have found are down in the foil range but some read solid nickel. Back when I was using a CZ-6A many of the gold rings I found would bounce from foil to nickel on the ID. meter. The majority of the larger gold are usually in the pull tab range and I've found quite a few in the zinc penny range. (mainly class rings)