Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Golden 10khz good for gold-but weak on silver

Did a test whith my Golden umax and the 7" widescan coil ,, At minimum sensitivity and wood blocks set to 3" i first put a dime ,I got a very faint signal soft i would say and from the time it started beeping until it stoped was 2.5" forward or lineal covereage next i used a quarter thinking it is bigger it will make a better sound NO WAY still a soft signal and 3" coverage sfrom start of beep to stop then i tried a copper cent and it was soft but just a bit louder and from the time it started beeping untill it stoped 3" then i went to a zinc penny and got a better signal stronger and louder and a coverage of 4" then i put my grandmass small 14k lod ring and got a very strong signal and 4.5'" coverage way better than the quarter and from a pull tab i got 5" coverage and the same from a nickle and 5.5 coverage from a nail so it seems the higher conductive targets give a much weaker signal compared to the gold ring which is as small as a dime and way smaller than a quarter MY CONCLUSION the Golden is good for gold but not for finding silver coins i bet the 2.5khz would really do better at finding silver coins but of course i have no detector whith the 2.5 khz signal but if you are a coin hunter would not a DFX be better whith its 3khz signal or a x terra 70 or a fisher 5khz or even an ace 250 whith its 6.5 you tell me

A couple of things. If the ground balance is even a little positive the Golden will lose depth on higher conductive targets, and contrary to some of the posts you'll see a widescan coil will not get the depth a same size concentric coil is capable of except in mineralized ground. The size of the transmit windings is a major factor in determing how deep a coil will go, and the transmit windings in a widescan coil are only a tad over half as big as the transmit windings in a concentric coil. Below is something that James and Vince Gifford from Tesoro posted in response to a question from a Cort

Thanks for info JB,
I don't have a Golden but on the detectors I have I have typically set the ground balance near neutral or a little positive; after reading your post, I will try slightly negative and see how things go.
tvr

A lot will depend upon the make and model, not necessarily the operating frequency. For example, with a White's Classic SL series, such as the Classic III SL or IDX Pro, a 'spot on' GB in the All Metal mode might still not be quite enough for the Discriminate mode. It will leave the Disc. mode with a slightly negative GB setting and it will false miserably in moderate to higher mineralization. You need a just slightly positive GB in the All Metal mode to have a good FUNCTIONAL GB in the Disc. mode with those models.

With MOST Tesoro's I've noticed just the opposite. A 'spot on' GB (one that remains constant from about 8" to 1") in All Metal is actually a bit positive in the Discriminate mode. In other words, the Disc. mode is designed with an off-set on the positive side when GB'ed. As JB mentioned below, with the Golden