Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Golden & 7" widescan snipes a 1925 merc dime in profuse trash:wiggle:

finally got out today . wanted to try out the propointer for the 1st time i was going to go to a tot lot but shanged my mind at the last minute and went to an old lot 1890s upon arival i started winging and got low signals so i got out the pro pointer and was able to quickly find 6 nails in very short order and proceded to find a few aluminum pop cans then i went to the spot ive been after the ground was full of nails and melted aluminum melted lead old and new i was geting beeps every 6" most wher low tones but i decided to dig any thing obove iron foil first coins was a cladd quarter then some pennys then i got a wheat cent then another and this went on i just went really slow and i got a solid soft heavy kinda sweet sound , good thing i was using the pro pointer or i would have malled this fine merc well up comes a merc dime i was amazed this is the second silver coin i have found since i started in may 31-2007 the thing you cant see is the dime is in mint condition all details are thear it must have been lost just after getting into circulation I did not clean it because i dont want to harm it its in mint condition dont know how much its worth I have a feeling thear is a lot more coins in this spot i only searched 1% of the ground MAN IT FEELS GOOD TO FIND SILVER

Trv it is a good spot ive left some detalils out of my post lest i give away the spot I have reason to beleive many more old coins are in thear after its finished i will tell all

gunnar, looks like you might have a hot spot there! hope you find many more silver coins. ain't nothing as pretty as a nice shiney silver coin laying in the black dirt!
good luck! roger

:tesoro:Hay gunnar,nice coin shooting job,you keep going and you will be amazed at how many silver dimes you will find,have read articles on coin shooting and have experienced it for myself,finding alot of old and new dimes,the theory is that dimes are so small and thin,that they are easily lost out of pockets and such that while holding them they just slide right out of ones hand straight into the ground,just waiting for you to find them now.Nice work!Chuck.

Good finds Gunnar,congrats on the merc they are a beautiful coin. I see a few wheaties there too. Hope you find lots more.
:)

My 7" widescan chatters all the time on my Silver uMax. It's OK in the chips but as soon as I move to dirt it starts.Seems to be worse when the grass is wet.:confused:
I've got a new Golden on it's way that I'll try the 7" on. Maybe I can get some use out of it on the Golden.

Hay bigolhorns,what you are experiencing happens to all of us,just make sure you take your scuff plate off the coil every now and then to make sure no dirt has worked it's way in between scuff & coil,the effect of mineralized dirt will give the,to much chatter effect,due to deposits traped between scuff & coil,the reason you get no chirps over chips is there is no mineralization in the chips,if you do not have ground balance control on your detector,and it chirps to much over dirt,back off of the sensitivity control until it stops,only enough to make it stop,because you will lose some depth.There is not much you can do about wet grass,except wait for it to dry,because the wet grass causes static electricity to flow from detector coil trough to wet grass.holler back at me bigolhorns.Chucky.:tesoro:

n/t

Looks like the merc had her eyeballs sintered out! Whats going on there? If you want to clean that coin without damaging it, here's what you need:

x1 bottle of peroxide (pharmacy, grocery, etc)
x1 'connoisseurs' silver jewelry polishing cloth
Some q-tips.

Fill a shotglass with peroxide and nuke it till it's good and steaming. Dump the coin in and remove it when it completely stops bubbling. Rinse it under water using a q-tip to wipe the surface clean of all the bulk crap. Polish with the cloth using both sides as stated in the directions. That coin will shine like the day it left the mint! The peroxide soak might take 10-15 minutes, but the rest is quick and easy.

Do NOT substitute the cloth for anything else! The cloth is chemical free and has zero abrasives! In fact I'm still not sure how the thing even works! But it does, and it'll be the best 5 bucks you ever spent. Will leave no distinguishable marks able to be seen under a magnifier. It's the only thing i'll touch a silver coin with. You have my word as a coin lover and collector that this is safe. Whats the mint mark on that one?

- Matt

Nice finds! Now that you have those indicator coins, you know the area to look in for the deep really good coins and rings. of course you will have to clean the masking trash out. Bill in Texas

No problem man, I love coins... I don't just dig them, I buy them too. I will tell you silver is the only thing I would attempt that method with, copper I would stop at the peroxide and t-tip. It won't damage the patina. Don't try and polish copper you pull from the ground, you'll only end up with pits in it. Same goes for electrolysis.. for ground pulled copper peroxide then olive oil soak for a LONG time.. there is info on the web about it.

26,610,000 Mercury dimes were minted in 1925 bearing no mintmark. It's not a key date, but it's still a beautiful coin. In AU50 condition it red books at 20 bucks. The mintmark is not on the obverse like roosies though, it's between the 'E' in 'ONE" and the stem on the rear. If you had a D mintmark thats a 200.00 coin in AU50.

I have yet to pull my first silver coin. I've pulled silver, and silver relics.. but no coins :ranting: I think it's the curse of getting everything BUT what I want :D So I'm a little jelous, but I'm hopeful!

- Matt