Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GOLDEN AND WIDE NOTCH?

onebaddude9

Hello all, I have tried to do some forum searches but can't find any information on this. Need some help still experimenting with this Golden Umax with all the features and settings before I get it out It is the older machine with the newer tone update, I know if you want to eliminate or filter out the zinc pennies you click over to Wide Notch, I can still pick up my 1909-1982 high tone which you are supposed to get, but now I loose all of my indian heads 1860-1908. Looking at the composition according to the Red Book they are still .950 copper and shouldn't be falling into the zinc category ???????????? but should be getting a high copper tone. You can get them on Narrow notch with a mid tone. I can't figure it out. Thank you

haven't used that machine but every machine i have used the indian heads read like the zinc pennies. don't know why. have heard that some of the early wheats also read lower. good luck

Yep....you want indians then you'll have to deal with the zinckers. Best you can do to try and increase your odds is to try and only dig the deeper ones. That's where that accurate depth meter comes in handy (relating to the bells & whistles debate).....

oneguy said:
Yep....you want indians then you'll have to deal with the zinckers. Best you can do to try and increase your odds is to try and only dig the deeper ones. That's where that accurate depth meter comes in handy (relating to the bells & whistles debate)Yea I have bought the 7" wide scan hoping that helps out.. Thanks.....

I have bought the 7" wide scan hoping that helps. But it is puzzling that since they have the same copper composition they shouldn't be falling in the wide notch category and treated like zinc

about all you can do to increase your odds is go for what you think are the deepies? Try lifting the coil to get an idea where the signal falls off and estimate the depth and listen for the really faint repeatable targets? good luck!

I have never owned or used a Golden Umax but i would never use a notch facility on any of my detectors,the only thing i try and not get a signal from is of course small nails,the reason i dont notch anything out is that in the UK we have small hammere coins that come in the same range as say foil,so if you do try and notch things out you stand a very good chance of loosing decent targets.

The notch feature is mainly used across the pond more than any other location,not really sure why but i am assuming it could be that you folks have modern coinage in locations of parks etc,the way i look at it its a metal detector and i am looking for metal and dont want to miss any targets,of course one could use AM mode but then you would dig some iron.

Any coinage is worth finding surely,or is it for a specific hunting site,still trying to grasp why you would want to notch out zinc pennies ???

Thank you, I will go with those settings when hunting newer sites. Its kind of like the Fisher I just had converted on my CZ5 into the old tone feature to give me the CZ3D features for older sites. If I am somewhere for example I do a lot of Bar/Nightclub gravel parking lot detecting I will use the wide notch zinc feature on the Golden to stay away from the zinc pennies. This should be an excellent machine for these kind of sites. I am still playing around with it with the tones before I get it out.

onebaddude9 said:
I have bought the 7" wide scan hoping that helps. But it is puzzling that since they have the same copper composition they shouldn't be falling in the wide notch category and treated like zinc

Just tried some Indian pennies on my GUmax with the 7 inch wide scan. The 1860-1864 copper-nickel compositions blank out in both narrow and wide notch. The bronze composition Indians (late 1864-1909) can be picked up with the notch set on narrow, but the wide notch setting blanks them out. The bronze indians look like zincs to the descrimination. There must be a slight difference however between these pennies and the zincs, as I will get a little popping and churping with the bronze pennies that I don't hear with the zincs when the notch is set on wide, but the popping is infrequent, and does not really constitute a noticeable difference.

I have the original tones (in conductive order) and the notch width adjustment was set at about 11:00 o'clock. Changing the notch width setting did not change the results.

Looks like if you want to dig up those Indian pennies, you will need to dig up those middle high tones (zinc tone) with the notch setting either off or on narrow.

I wonder if there is someone in the forum that is smarter than me that could bring this up to Tesoro and ask some questions. Or does these type of Indians pose an issue on more detectors. There has to be something else in these pennies other than the .950 copper but like you said it blanks mine out to. if there is an answer out there I sure would like to hear it. THE MINT WON'T TELL YOU ANYTHING. LOL

Remember, the detector is basing it's info on size, (coin sized) shape, (round like a coin) & placement (laying flat) and to some extent, conductivity. Found my first IH last year. Registered exactly as a zinc penny would. Same tone, same ID number. If you don't dig zincoln's you will never likely find an IH. I don't dig the zinc pennies as much when in modern parks (I know, I could miss large gold jewelry), but in older sites, I dig every zinc penny signal. That is why it is best to use minimal (if not ZERO) disc.