Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Golden or Outlaw

Well I've owned a ton of Tesoro detectors over the years, but now I only have the Silver, which I have lent to a friend, probably permanently. So I'm trying to decide on the Outlaw or the Golden, primarily for relic hunting. I know with its adjustable ground balance the Outlaw would probably be the better choice, but I'm intrigued with the Golden's ability to notch out pull tabs. I've owned all of the HOT detectors, the Eldorado, which I shouldn't have sold, and the Lobo. So I'm looking for opinions so I can blame the decision on someone else. Thanks.

Well Shenandoah Digger.......

....If you want to avoid digging pulltabs with the notching ability of the Golden

I agree with JB.

Of course, if you are a relic hunter, there is one detector that Tesoro designed specifically for relic hunting and that is the Tejon.

I don't know if that is within your price range or not, but if Tesoro designs a unit for a specific use, you can bet that is best machine to go with.

Thanks for everyone's help. It's about what I figured but needed a little encouragement. JB, if not for you I would probably have never learned to use the IIb. Anyone who uses a Nautilus owes it to himself to read JB's article. And Smudge, I've had a Tejon but it couldn't hold a candle to a Vaquero in Shenandoah Valley ground. Tesoro's ad for the Tejon used to say, "meets and defeats all soil conditions", but unfortunately that wasn't the case. The Vaquero is far superior in bad ground. So is the Cibola with its preset ground balance. Hombre, relics are where you find them and I have no doubt you've found them in Kansas. I dug a crossed sabre pin with my Cibola, and thinking it was junk because it came in at the pull tab range, I dug haphazardly and broke it. Live and learn. Pap, I'm sure a manual ground balance is what I need. Thanks everyone. I guess Outlaw it is, unless I decide on another Vaquero.

I also agree the Gmax would not be a relic hunter due to non/gb well you can but it doesn't have the knob turn pot like the OL, and the notch filters also restricts depth , the OL would be my choice!

Oh I forgot to mention, the only thing I don't like about the Gmax is the overload, I wish I could get rid of it, hank

The Nautilus article is a great read but I can't take credit for it. My old buddy Jbird, Jay Sims, wrote it. I just formatted it and put on my website. Jbird is pushing 80 and has health problems that ended his detecting a few years ago, and he seldom posts anymore. I miss his input on the forums, and especially his unique sense of humor. He was definitely one of a kind.

Aha, well I've been going to your website for years and have really enjoyed it. Every time I read Jbird's Nautilus article I get a kick out of it because I can see his sense of humor in it. I'm sorry to hear he's not doing well.

Hank68 said:
Oh I forgot to mention, the only thing I don't like about the Gmax is the overload, I wish I could get rid of it, hank

Use a DD coil, the overload activates at much less depth and/or the items have to be larger.

Thanks for the info TM,

Hank,
I've had a bunch of Tesoro models and they all overload on surface/and or large targets, just raise the coil above the target. The worst detector for overload was my old CZ5 with the 5" hockey puck coil, at least it was a pleasant sound, sort of like a telephone ringing in your ear.

Hank68 said:

Thanks for the info, Hombre

My little Bandito overloads---she just overloads my pouch with goodies!!! :rofl:----Sorry, I just couldn't pass that one up! :biggrin:---------Del

Hank68 said:
Hank,you want to get rid of your golden!.I'll buy it.You say it is overloading.What size battery are you running?.Be careful hank, are you new at this?.:drinking:

Heck no, I still love that machine , one of my favorites bar none, thanks for asking will keep a lookout for you, hank

Hello Grubber,
This is Ed Huffman the owner of Treasure Mountain and Findmall Sponsor, I have a lightly used Golden Umax for sale, let me know if your interested.

TreasureMtnDetectors said:
Hello Grubber,
This is Ed Huffman the owner of Treasure Mountain and Findmall Sponsor, I have a lightly used Golden Umax for sale, let me know if your interested.
I was just messing with Mr Hank.I have a new golden.It's good you mentioned it here though,the gmax is getting a little more popular lately i think due to the new outlaw coming out for some reason.I will keep you in mined Mr Hoffman.