Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Golden uMax and 5.75" coil?

HaroldILL.

I bought a NOS 5.75" Coil for the Golden uMax was wondering if anyone else used this set up for mega trash on a Golden?
I have had My New Tone Golden over a year and great detector but have yet to find a coil that works as good as the 8" Brown donut coil. So far most I tried mixed tones past 4 " or so. Tried a rare 10.5" concentic, New 7" precision, and a Troy Super 9 coil. The Troy coil was only one so far that worked decent but not as good as 8" coil. It seems Goldens are very finicky with coils?
Even if You could still send them in mine is so hot with the 8" Donut I would not mess with it. I will just keep buying and trying till I find a good working second coil for back up if anything else.

Harold, my set up is the exact opposite. I keep my 5.75" coil and use the 8" for open areas. I mainly hunt parks and school yards, both are usually littered with trash. The smaller coil pulls in those good targets mixed in among the trash. Without being able to ground balance the Golden, I guess there could be a little difference between the coils but I don't think enough to make a difference. You also could be like me and favor one coil over the other because of our success. I have found that the Golden is finicky on coils. I tried a Super 7 and a CORS Fortune, my Golden did not like them, both of them distorted the tones one of the key properties of the Golden. I tried the Precision 7 coil and liked the combination but I got rid of it, mainly because of the size difference of an inch from my 6" and 8" coil. I can't find very much wrong with either the 6" or 8" coils and to me this combination is unbeatable. I find this funny because my Golden was tuned to 8X9 stock coil. You have my vote for the 5.75" concentric.

I will qualify that by saying it is my favorite Tesoro coil, and the only coil I have for my Bandido II µMAX and two Silver Sabre µMAX models. I do have one brown 8" Concentric in my Accessory Coil Tote that I might mount on the Bandido II µMAX for an open-area search, but that will seldom happen. I use that model because it has a manual GB control. The two Silver Sabre µMAX devices only use their assigned 6" Concentric coil. The reason is that they have the internally preset GB trimmer that I tweaked for peak performance with their assigned 6" coil.

As 'coindawg' suggested, it is quite possible that the other search coils you tried didn't work that well with your specific Golden µMAX due to the preset GB being 'off' by too much.

Best of success working your unit with the 6' coil.

Monte

I received the coil and seems like I have a good match as it will hit a silver dime at 8" with a soft sweet high tone.
Took it out and dug some clad in ground at 6" easy with a perfect solid high tone no mixing. I finally have another good coil to go along with the 8" Brown Donut.
Now to hit a trashy old park and pull some silver in trash.

Does anyone know how to tone the tones of orig golden umax.When I swing my umax am I suppose to here like two different tones over one target.Are my tones suppose to do that. My Cortes or my shadow x2 does not do that. Its like I here one tone on the gdge of the coil and a different tone from the center of the coil.go figure,LoL

Cajundirtdobber said:
Does anyone know how to tone the tones of orig golden umax.When I swing my umax am I suppose to here like two different tones over one target.Are my tones suppose to do that. My Cortes or my shadow x2 does not do that. Its like I here one tone on the gdge of the coil and a different tone from the center of the coil.go figure,LoL

Depending on the conductivity of the target, you may get more than one tone. You can control, to some extent, what targets give the low Iron tone and which give the low-mid tone by adjusting the Notch Width knob. The more clockwise you turn it, the more targets such as foil will sound with the low Iron tone. I usually set it so that it gives a blend of those two tones when the coil is passed over a small gold ring. I dig those blended signals!

I haven't noticed the tone changing from the edge of the coil to the middle, but I haven't really tested for that. I think it could happen depending on the target conductivity and how deep the target is.

Hope this helps.

-Ken