Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Golden uMax and Bandido II uMax comparisson ?'s

ejudasf

Hello people.

Can some of you who have these machines help me with a comparisson of a nickel and a dime. In air.

I would like to know the Max distance a nickel and a dime can be detected in the air in DISC mode using the Bandido II uMax and the Golden uMax.

I appreciate any help on this.

Thanks.

ed

The Golden has the newer circuitry thats supposed to be deeper, but the BII has gound balance that might equal out the newer circuitry using a preset GB. Both are great units though. I think the Golden is going to tell you the difference between a dime and a nickel with the tones, plus the VCO will help in the possible depth. Davhut has a Golden and I think he has or had a BII.

dime on both machines about 6" having said that I don't count air test I've had detectors air test good but been beat in the ground :)

I would like to know the Max distance a nickel and a dime can be detected in the air in DISC mode using the Bandido II uMax and the Golden uMax.

[size=medium]Your question goes to depth comparisons, using air tests. Understand that is a limited test and is hardly conclusive. But here are the results I obtained with the Golden. I cannot test the BII since I havent had one in a long time - I currently have a Vaquero.

Golden uMax, air test.
Test room environment: electrically unshielded, flourescent lights and computer monitor nearby. Noticeable audio modulation in all metal as a result.

Test settings
SENS: 10, no Boost
THRESHOLD: 1 o'clock on dial (slightly hyper tuned)
DISC: Preset notch below nickle
NOTCH: off

Results
NICKEL - 5"
DIME - 6"

Opinions
The Golden is not the depth master, by any stretch. If it's a Tesoro with raw depth that you fancy, get the Vaquero or Tejon.

Make no mistake, though, the Golden is a uMax - it aint no slouch, brother. The Golden is like every other Tesoro... it hits well on good targets like coins, even deep ones, and it doesn't do well on junk. It has depth you just don't see on an imperfect air test. I have pulled a quarter from a measured 10" with mine, at my normal hunt settings (SENS was at 9, NOT 10. I distinctly recall that).

Now, that same quarter won't air test in my test room at anything greater than 7". I suppose the much talked about 'halo effect' has some, well, effect.

It doesnt hit strong on deep nickles, on the other hand (this doesn't bother me, since Im only interested in finding 1913 Liberty Head nickles, anyway). Besides, most detectors have a tough time on deep nickles, with the possible exception of the MXT. On shallow nickles (and jewelry) it has no problems.

Let me ask you... What do you think of:
Great target separation with a large coil?
Killer trash discernment?
Super fast, tight analog-based target response?
Very useful tone ID?.
More than adequate depth?

These factors matter as much as pure depth, except on the purely relic hunting or gold prospecting detector. The Golden has them ALL.

Really, you are comparing two very different detectors here. I suspect you are hoping to get the older Bandidos (suspected) depth with the Goldens tone ID. Id like to see something like that, too, but lets do it with the Vaquero. Now THAT would be a piece of work...

But don't get dragged into that depth hype entirely. For a large part of your hunting the Golden will do. Im talking a great park, school, beach and all around detector - what our good friend Mike Hillis calls a 'cruiser'. If a balanced package suits you, then look no further than the Golden. [/size]

I just wanted to know the 'air-test' depth, of these particular machines, as a comparisson from other users of the same machine.

You all's help is greatly appreciated sincerely.

The reason for using the BandidoII and the Golden, is because that is what I have, and wasn't sure if there was supposed to be a bigger difference between them. I am getting about the same on both machines which is about what I am reading from the posts. Thanks again.

ejf

Hey man, nice to know! Glad to participate.

I remember back a while when the Bandido II was hot stuff. There was one guy, Micheal O. Smith, who was synonomous with the BII. He made awesome finds with it, at some great depths as I recall.

I find this all encouraging...

Ed, I have had both detectors and here is my humble opinion. Depth on all coins. Bandito 11 by a whisker, but it must be properly ground balanced. Depth on nickles in ground the Golden. Ease of use-both easy, but figuring out the notch on Golden can be tricky. You don't set it to eliminate the signal altogether, but just to break up. Ground balance on Bandito is easy, but some people have difficulty so thats why I call them even. Now which would I buy given the chance. The Golden Umax. I found more gold rings with the golden then any other detector I have ever owned. That's my story! Either one will more than do the job. R.L.

Having used enough monotone Tesoros to fill a car trunk, I've come to truly appreciate the Goldens tone ID.

RL is right about the notch, it takes a little experimentation to get the hang of it - but it works razor sharp. I work a fairgrounds from time to time that is lttierd with screbulb bases. It seems the carnies just toss them on the ground when they are replaced.

These bases ID right below nickle - so close as to fool my other ID detectors. But, not the Golden. I can dial that notch to just the spot where they hit and tell the difference between them nickles, and tabs.

This same experimentation holds true for the tone ID, too. There are actually SIX tones with the Golden and you have to get to know them. In time, you develop a trained ear and everything falls into place.