Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Golden uMax finds more gold!

Found this beautiful cross yesterday. It is about 2 inches long, weighs 4.1 grams and was tested today to be solid 14 k gold = $95. It was about an inch below the turf. It is my second gold find for the season.

That's a fantastic find! :cheers:

Would like to share your settings?:)

tabman

tabman said:
That's a fantastic find! :cheers:

Would like to share your settings?:)

tabman

I would be happy to... Sensitivity was at about 10, threshold was set high as well, about three o,clock (I always run the threshold high, if I can). The notch was off, and the notch width for tone was set at about 2 o,clock, which has been where I typically set this nob when hunting without notch. The disc was set at the recommended setting (where the arrow is), just above iron.

The uMax gave a very mixed tone sound for this, it was mostly the mixed middle tones with an occasional high tone coming in faintly, I remember this because I was trying to decide to dig or not. Switched it over to all metal to pin point and it pin pointed very well with a nice clear signal. It was the clear signal in all metal that made my mind up to dig.

Awesome find! But I am curious, why would you run your threshold high? It seems that you would be or could be missing deep targets that are nothing but a whisper but not strong enough to break through a high threshold. While we are on the subject, is the threshold even used in disc mode being that most tesoros are silent search in disc? Please educate me if I am wrong.

Lightstryder said:
Awesome find! But I am curious, why would you run your threshold high? It seems that you would be or could be missing deep targets that are nothing but a whisper but not strong enough to break through a high threshold. While we are on the subject, is the threshold even used in disc mode being that most tesoros are silent search in disc? Please educate me if I am wrong.

Well, as I am new to the Tesoro, I could be wrong as well, but in talking with Reid at Tesoro, I was told to turn the threshold up for maximum depth. The sensitivity set higher will allow the machine to detect deeper and smaller stuff, the threshold while in disc mode will magnify those faint, deeper signals. The problem with hunting with the threshold set high is that it will make a deeper target sound like it is closer to the surface, making it difficult to judge actual depth by sound. I lift the coil to see where the signal cuts off for depth and I use my pin pointer to decide what kind of plug to cut.

Sweet find! Those filligree things are very hard to figure out...not a good solid signal...congratulations on working that target with your rig, dirt gold is about the hardest gold to find, and that one most likely would have been missed by 90% of the hunters out there thinking it was foil or slaw..Hats off to you Sir! Nice!:beers:
Mud

another incredible find by a tesoro Metal detector

Lightstryder said:
But I am curious, why would you run your threshold high? It seems that you would be or could be missing deep targets that are nothing but a whisper but not strong enough to break through a high threshold. While we are on the subject, is the threshold even used in disc mode being that most tesoros are silent search in disc?

It is called super tuning. The Golden

tvr said:
Lightstryder said:
But I am curious, why would you run your threshold high? It seems that you would be or could be missing deep targets that are nothing but a whisper but not strong enough to break through a high threshold. While we are on the subject, is the threshold even used in disc mode being that most tesoros are silent search in disc?

It is called super tuning. The Golden

Do like I do, just make a little mark on the threshold dial where you normally run it for pinpointing.

Hombre said:
Do like I do, just make a little mark on the threshold dial where you normally run it for pinpointing.

Yeah I do that, but it slows me down.:) The audio volume difference between the discriminate mode and the all metal mode gives me some clue as to what's there. I want the same exact discrimination setting and audio hum every time I start swinging.

tabman

hihosilver, using all metal to pinpoint can often be the deciding point as to digging or not digging....when I get mixed tones with my Golden, the all metal signal can sometimes be the only thing that makes sense...I dont bother with the super tuning with the golden, as I find it goes deep enough for the places that I use with without super tuning. I guess it's a matter of using whichever mode or system that we're comfortable using. Very very nice find.

The Golden uMax was my go-to "jump detector"
for a long time. I loved the different tones and always felt it should have been expanded
Into other Tesoro detectors.

Today, I have a Fisher F70 that fills the Golden's place admirably. But I'll always have a soft spot for the
Golden uMax.