Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Golden uMax question

I have new tones and I am pretty confident with the machine but a question that developed and hope you guys can help.
While using the notch knob to adjust sounds of gold rings, foil, pulltab, nickel I put knob where nickel should hit (if i listen to 53silver youtube video) and scanned pulltabs, foil, all the gold rings I have in my home. What I ran across was this.
Two of the rings, mens wedding band 14K (very thick) and 14K white gold ring hit/sounded like a zinc penny. Nothing I did with the notch knob would change the way they sounded. Why would this happen? Is there anything i can do to change this? My only thought is try discrimination knob and see if the rings drop off at same point as zinc penny. Thank you very much for your help

Really large gold rings hit in the zinc tone range. That's why you should always dig zinc pennies. There's no getting around it.:)

You're doing the right thing by testing different targets to see what happens. I spent a lot of time doing that so I'd know what to expect out in the field.

I don't normally use the notch, but I do use the notch width control knob to change where the tones break.

I use a sports drink foil cap as a marker. Turn the notch width control knob counter clockwise until it just breaks into the iron tone while waving the coil over one.

With that setting you can set the discrimination to its lowest point to get good depth on the lower conductor targets like small gold jewelry and not have to dig a lot of tiny foil and iron.

Good Luck

tabman