Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

goldfields relics

Hi, I'm Angela, Garry's wife, and poor Garry can't use the Quattro anymore because I'm always out with it. So it looks like Garry will have to buy another machine. He is looking at the Explorer.
I've been using the Quattro for some time now. I recently searched a WW2 American plane crash site here in Australia, and among all the melted aluminium and other trash, I was able to detect a machine gun cartridge and two bullets. We live in an old gold mining town In Victoria, with a population of just 14. So I'm always out with the Quattro. The ground is very trashy in most places. I've learned that using discrimination in this type of ground actually covers over good targets. So this is the method I now use: I use All Metal Mode with no discrimination. High trash setting, and manual sensitivity of about 14 at best, down to 10. When I hear a good sound, to help me pinpoint the target, I immediately switch to all metal mode with -10 to 6 and 40 discriminated. This helps to verify and pinpoint the good target. And this is what I've been finding over the past few weeks.
Regards, Angela

Angela,

Coins are nice to find, but simply being out and poking around old sites finding neat stuff like that is fun!

HH Tom

Hey, by the way, you don't have any "unwed" sisters do you??? Just kidding, but what a lucky man Gary is to have you. I havn't heard of too many wives that dig this stuff. Speaking of digging, you win the prize this time. What a collection of cool stuff. I've only rectntly been getting interested in relics, pre say, but this really gets my blood pumping. That is very exciting to me that your looking in old WWII sites. Wow what a possible emotional experience that could be. Gee, and I'll bet your husband is (really bummed out about the possibility of buying an Explorer) Just kidding again of course. I think that's probably one of the best land detectors for all around work in the world. At least, that's what I think, and I'm certainly open to a challenge on that. I may have missed something here, but I havn't heard of anything better.:)Well I better amend this just a little. I know "better" is a nebulous word. I guess I should say, It looks like a great all around detector, I have a Quatro that I love, but I know the Explorer has the two numeric readouts that possibly give you a little more information on whether to dig the target or not. Don't get me wrong, though, I really love the Quatro and I think it's a great, deep seeking, good discriminating unit. I just "secretly" wish I had an Explorer II, as a second detector some day. Happy hunting and keep showin us the great finds.:biggrin:

G'day Guys,
Thanks for your replies. Oh, by the way Marc(beachguy), I do have a sister, but she's also wedded! Sorry!
I just wanted to share something with everyone, as I really enjoy using the Quattro. I went out yesterday for a few hours, and I found my first 1922 threepence. I was pretty excited. I noticed an old pathway leading up to one of the old house sites, decided to detect it, and that's what I came up with. I also detected on the main town road parts of a mouth organ, copper door knob, and a button. I had to did down close to a foot to get the door knob, which was no easy feat, as the road is very compacted and rocky. It still surprises me the way the Quattro can detect objects that deep, in trashy and hard ground. I've done a bit of beach detecting too. Very interesting! At one beach, I dug up about 40 different fishing sinkers! I even got down down to about 2 1/2 feet, true, had to get Garry to help me out, as the hole kept caving in. We couldn't believe the depth we detected! On my first day out I found a gold ring with six diamonds, a plain gold ring and a gents silver ring. I was pretty rapted.
Regards, Angela

Well Angela, I hope you don't blame me for trying. I can't believe how cool of stuff your finding and how deep your going on the sinkers. Wow! Makes me glad I bought a Quatro. I hope you keep this "show and tell" up, it's fascinating, and maybe I can find someone elses sister to go detecting with. Hey, Mike, from VA. Just kidding Mike, I think your sister is married too.:happy::happy::happy: