Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Goldmaster 2, 3, & V/sat: what's the difference?

Wayfarer

And are they that technologically behind the GMT? Besides just the auto ground balance and digital display? I am looking for an inexpensive gold detector to mess around with on some family camping trips up to northern New Mexico this summer. I hear that you want to go with at least the Goldmaster 2 or newer. I don't mind messing with manual ground balance, but I do want to be able to find the small nuggets without worrying too much if I have everything set just right. Is there any real difference in performance or ease of use with these three models? Thanks!

Hi,

The Goldmaster II was the introduction of the 50 kHz platform. A super hot machine when it was introduced. The V/SAT added the Variable Self Adjusting Threshold (V/SAT) control. The GM3 added audio boost. Basically they are all the same unit being refined.

The Goldmaster 4/B introduced a switch from a control box that could be rod, hip, or chest mounted to one fixed to the rod assembly. This along with a price increase was not well received.

The GMT is a new digital platform running at 48 kHz that offers both automatic and manual ground balaance and a more sophisticated iron discrimination system.

At the end of the day I can find gold about as well with any of the Goldmaster units. I have a soft spot in my heart for the Goldmaster 3 but I currently own and use a GMT.

Steve Herschbach

Thanks, Steve. And thanks for all your good posts and help you've given over the years to many on this forum.

I am primarily interested in one of the three analog machines, that is a GM 2, 3, or V/sat. Are the improvements/refinements in the GM3 significant, or do you think the GM2 is still pretty good in comparison? Best I can tell the GM3's have signal boost and V/sat where the GM2's do not. I ask because the GM3's seem to go for about twice as much used at the GM2's. Are the GM3's that much better? Thanks again!

Hi,

Well, the GM3 is as I have noted looked on favorably by many. If I were looking for one of the three it is the one I'd look for. But truthfully, is it worth twice what a GMII is worth? Not in my opinion. But I guess if it were me I'd probably pony up for the GM3. You are not talking much price difference when considered in ounces of gold found.

Steve Herschbach

Hi Steve, thanks for the additional thoughts. Yes, that's what I was getting at: whether the GM3 is *that* much better than the GM2 to justify the greatly increased value on the used market. I think I will look for a good deal on either.

A friend of mine and I are heading to northern New Mexico with all our kids (ages 5-9) to camp and we thought we'd also try our luck at finding a few pickers. Plan is to leave the kids with the wives back at camp and hike way in where there hasn't been much electronic prospecting yet. Thanks again!

Darren

It sold already, but thanks. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Just picked up a used V/sat in excellent condition. I can't wait to head to gold country and give it a whirl. I'll be learning this machine now and will post my finds soon I hope. Thanks again for the help.