Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GoldMaster V-Sat....how does it compare to newer models in performance?

nw1886

A friend has one and wants to sell as he just doesn't use it/never did! I've used a GMT and MXT a little for gold and am familiar with the tech differences but......what's the real world performance differences? Is it straight forward to learn and is it versatile in different dirt? (Sure like the design!) If you have had some good experience with an array of White's gold boxes, would really appreciate some input here!! Thanks ahead of time. Scott

:usmc:

Wish I had something to contribute but I don't have the kind of Bank Roll to be buying the newer machines to try them out. I do have a V/SAT, the 1995 model with the standard Long Scan coil and the GM 4" X 6" Mastershooter coil, all of which I took to learning pretty quickly.

I think my older Garrett VLF-TR Master Hunter ADS Groundhog helped a great deal to understand the GM V/SAT along with the Zip-Zip and another book plus some Posts and Reviews. I've read a great deal where ever I've been able to find anything on the V/SAT performance and I've come across everything from those not liking the machine at all to in the right hands with a GM 4" X 6" Mastershooter coil, it will run right on the heels of a GoldBug-II. In the less than a year I've had the V/SAT, I have not found any Gold but by sluicing but I'm in an area more known for Flour Gold than Nuggets or Pickers. I have however on numerous occasions, found what is about #12 size or maybe the next bigger bird or snake lead shot and very tiny fragments of lead and copper from bullets. All gave me sounds I would not have shrugged off. I have read where the GM machines will go at least sub-grain or half grain and maybe a tid bit less and that's getting pretty small though can not be very deep.

From what I've read of the GMT, it would be an easier machine to run for the new guys with an advantage or two in features but I suspect the V-SAT in just a down right hunt for Gold would do just as well in the right hands. The GMT will find pockets of black sand easier by it's % display but I suspect the V/SAT can also find them almost as well by sound. I've not tried my V/SAT on my test bag of black sand yet but have my Garrett Groundhog and if you know how to do it, it will let you know when you have a black sand pocket. In fact, after I gathered with a magnet enough black sand to make the Garrett respond and it was not as much as was recommended, the machine is how I found the rest of my black sand to make a nice test bag of it and is still less than the gallon recommended. It is just my opinion without running a GMT yet and I'm Old School but I think the V/SAT would still hold it's own as a Gold machine without the bells and whistles. The only thing I've noticed with the 4" X 6" Mastershooter coil is some possible False-ing but it has not been enough to distract and discourage me in my hunts. I also do not contend with other machines around me because I hunt alone.

If your friend will get you into to it pretty reasonably,its a decent detector.On the other hand the GMT has some very nice features with both the auto and manual ground balance it has at its disposal.