Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Goldquest coil problem.

Hammered Again

I am a newby to pulse detectors so please have a bit of patience if I get what I am trying to say a bit wrong,i purchased I think a mk1 goldquest the only problem is the coil is faulty I know this because my mate has the same detector and it works fine when I swap to his detector coil,now what I am try to find out is are there any coils on the market that will work on this detector or shall i just cut my loses and bin it and buy a more modern pi detector,all help greatfully received thanks for any advice in advance.

There are some coils that will work but may not operate at the 10 usec setting. Eric had some tricks he used to make a coil work at that low delay that others do not know.

You could even try to build a coil yourself or have someone build one for you.

The problem is, here in the US, finding and using the right connector.

Where are you located? What do you use the detector for to hunt? I am assuming you use it for beach hunting. That would be the most logical since it doesn't have any form of GB.

There is one unique mod that could be done that would help and that would be to build a special preamp circuit and replace the one in the detector. Then the detector would be more forgiving when it came to coils.

Does your coil work at any delay setting?

Reg

I may have found a GQ coil, but if you don't respond, I can't help you since you need to look and check your coil for a few things on your coil and detector.

If you don't respond, I will sell the coil to someone who also wants it.

Reg

There were different GQ models so I need to know what it looks like on the inside of your detector. I need pics of the back side of that connector. The coil i have measures 340 uh which is what the GQ probably should measure. However, this coil has a different coil connection to the rod. So, if you could, please take a pic of that part of the coil also. Please post the pics on this forum if you don't mind.

Where are you located? If you are here in the US, I could ship the coil to you to see if you can get it to work.

Do you have someone who could possibly change the wires on the coil connector. Some GQ's were wired for DD coil and others weren't.

Reg

When you look inside at the coil connector mounted on the box, check to see if only two wires are connected or three are. The GQ was made in different versions. One version only had the ability to use a mono coil and then later, Eric made the V2, which had 3 connections. Both versions used a 300 uh mono coil. The coil I have is a little over 300 uh which would be normal but is wired such that the connector inside the box should have two wires.

Now, this coil I have could be rewired to use on either system, so, hopefully, you have someone who could do that.

So, let me know more about your detector and whether you are interested in trying this coil.

Reg

The coil I have is for the earlier GQ version which only had 2 wires. So, the coil connector will have to be opened up and both wires moved to match the connector you have on your coil.

I am surprised your coil failed. Was it used in saltwater a lot? If not, then you might see if when you look inside at the wiring of your coil connector, you might check it closely to see if one of the two connections failed.

If you want to try the coil I have, you will have to have the connector wiring on the coil I have changed to match your present coil. This is not a difficult task for someone with basic soldering skills.

Let me know if you are interested in the coil. I will make it cheap enough, like maybe $20 plus shipping cost. If you don't want it after you try it, simply send it back.

Reg

Hi Reg,
Thank you for your reply......... I live in the UK, could you ship it over to me? I would pay whatever the postage is and this could be as cheap as you like as I am in no hurry for it. I could pay you using paypal if this payment method is okay with you? Please let me know if you can do this and it is much appreciated if you can, as I have a detector that doesn't work. Thanks again.
Kind Regards.

I am waiting for a new camera so I can take a pic of the coil. This coil has an earlier designed shaft connector to coil assembly at the coil itself and may be something you may not want, so I thought I should send a pic before I send the coil. I should have the camera in a couple more days. Sorry for the delay.

I have uploaded a pic for you to compare with your connector. The pic has 3 wires that go from the pc board to the connector. Now, on some units the orange and green wires are connected together on the pc board. This would allow a mono to work. If all you are going to use are mono coils, you could have a jumper soldered between the orange and green wire. If you ever plan on using a DD coil, then you would have to jumper the two outside pins inside the connector on the coil wire itself for the coil to work.

Now, did the coil you have ever work on your detector? The reason I ask is because of the wiring mentioned above. So, you might want to check how the coil connector is wired to make sure it is wired properly to work on your detector if the coil never worked on the detector. In other words, there has to be a jumper between the two outer connections either on the coil connector or at the control box for a mono coil to work.

If you have any doubts, you can take a close up pic of both the coil connector wiring and the control box connector wiring so it shows both the connector and the pcb were the wires connect.

Reg

Here is a pic of of the coil. This is an older design and has a short lead so it would have to be connected to an on shaft control box. Also, the coil connector would have to be rewired. Because of the coil design, the shaft will be sent with the coil.

Reg

Hi Reg,
Thank you for your email...... I have attached the photos of the inside of the control box as you requested. My Goldquest is one of the first ones made with the control box mounted to the shaft.
Thanks once again for all your help and if it is compatible, then would paypal be okay to use to make payment?
Thanks,
Regards,
Paul.

Hi Paul,

WOW!!! I have never seen one of these before. Newer Goldquests were a low powered PI, but your unit is a high powered one. So, it dates back a ways. What does it use for a battery? Your unit appears to be an older unit that probably looks very similar to the earlier Goldscan 4. If you get time take a pic of the unit assembled.

Does your coil have the plastic ratcheting connector on its shaft also like the one in my pic? I am now thinking my coil was an original coil for an older Goldscan. If so, this should work on your unit directly.

I can take paypal for payment but we will worry about that later.

Email me at my regular email address which is rgsniff@comcast.net

Reg

I ran into a pic of the unit and coil. It appears to be the same coil setup as mine. So, I am guessing mine came from a GS 4 and should be the same coil. Here are a couple of pics of the early Gold Quest and coil. You will note the coil is basically the same as the one I have shown in a previous pic.

Reg