Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GoldQuest SS with Garrett Recon housing

Old California

Recently, remounted my GoldQuest SS board inside a gutted Recon housing, a fun project to play with. Was bored, so i tossed this together and finally finished her today. Its still waterproof, and uses the original Garrett power source (two 4AA battery packs in series) to power the board.

Picked up the GoldQuest from Scott 12 or so years ago, Scott modified the board with adding an extra filter and if memory serves me right with the help of Reg. The unit has the DD mod in place, using a jumper allows the unit to use either mono or DD.

Currently, using the Garrett coil connectors on both coil and housing. I may endup going with the same type connector with the DD and the larger mono coil, the neat part is the coil cable slips in from the lower rod with the connector connecting to the housing. One shaft, uses multiple coils. Garrett should have come out with this type of coil setup, no need for extra shafts with this type of neat coil setup. Plus, Experimenting with other shafts but i think I'll stay with the original Garrett shaft.

Anyway, Tomorrow will be it's maiden voyage with the RECON/ATX setup. Something different, I've always favored the 10" center mount coil over the others. Perfect coil for water or surf.

Thanks to looking,
Paul

Wish that was true Rick, it's more like the old Hare with age catching up with him.

My hands are not the same, vision is still ok with one eye the other is completely blind from an accident. But, When time allows it's fun to tinker.

I was hoping Garrett would have come out with this type of coil setup, instead of each coil having it's own shaft in stead create the shaft to use other coils. This will reduce cost, more sales and if the staft wears out the ATX user can purchase another shaft.

With my setup with the GoldQuest SS, each coil can slide in or out quicky remounting the other coil using the same waterproof Garrett connector. As long as each coil has it's own connector, each coil continues to remain waterproof.

Was comparing the GoldQuest with the TDI, At 10uS the GoldQuest is slightly more sensitive on smaller low conductors. Not much, slightly. Depth is pretty good with the GoldQuest SS, Low conductors that is and it does extremely well with our River/Lakes fresh water black Sand. This will be my main waterproof Pi, was going to waterproof the TDI but with the waterproof GoldQuest there is no need too.

And thanks for the TDI, it's tearing up our old pounded parks getting coins our Explorers missed. Yesterday, hunted an old park with a local friend. He was seen my success of using pi's at parks before, this time he finally tried his ATX while I was using the TDI. His first Pi park hunt he score's a barber dime with the AXT, I only scored two wheat pennies, but these are still great find's considering we and other's have pounded this park for year's.

Anyway, Here are a couple of pic's of the modified GoldQuest coil setup. Prefer the 10" center mount for water and the 11.5" for wet sand areas gaining slight depth.

Thanks again for the TDI,
Paul

Great work....that is a PI I would buy! Let us know how it works!

Old California said:
Wish that was true Rick, it's more like the old Hare with age catching up with him.

My hands are not the same, vision is still ok with one eye the other is completely blind from an accident. But, When time allows it's fun to tinker.

I was hoping Garrett would have come out with this type of coil setup, instead of each coil having it's own shaft in stead create the shaft to use other coils. This will reduce cost, more sales and if the staft wears out the ATX user can purchase another shaft.

With my setup with the GoldQuest SS, each coil can slide in or out quicky remounting the other coil using the same waterproof Garrett connector. As long as each coil has it's own connector, each coil continues to remain waterproof.

Was comparing the GoldQuest with the TDI, At 10uS the GoldQuest is slightly more sensitive on smaller low conductors. Not much, slightly. Depth is pretty good with the GoldQuest SS, Low conductors that is and it does extremely well with our River/Lakes fresh water black Sand. This will be my main waterproof Pi, was going to waterproof the TDI but with the waterproof GoldQuest there is no need too.

And thanks for the TDI, it's tearing up our old pounded parks getting coins our Explorers missed. Yesterday, hunted an old park with a local friend. He was seen my success of using pi's at parks before, this time he finally tried his ATX while I was using the TDI. His first Pi park hunt he score's a barber dime with the AXT, I only scored two wheat pennies, but these are still great find's considering we and other's have pounded this park for year's.

Anyway, Here are a couple of pic's of the modified GoldQuest coil setup. Prefer the 10" center mount for water and the 11.5" for wet sand areas gaining slight depth.

Thanks again for the TDI,
Paul