Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

goldscan 2 repair info needed.

eiken

Hello all, can anyone tell me if Eric Foster is still involved in the repair of his pi goldscan 2 machines. my one died this morning and it is too good a machine to leave idle in a cupboard. is there any company that will repair my machine in the uk..any info would be greatly appreciated.. thanks in advance.

I am having great difficulty in finding somebody to have a look at my machine. The couple of repair companies i have approached have both said the samething, not enough info avaliable. So the question is does anybody have schematic drawings for the two boards in the goldscan 2. i really dont want to loose this machine. i can post pictures of the damaged component for id. all help would be greatly appreciated..
regards.
ken

Please post a picture. How do you know he part is bad?

Now, the GS 4 is going to be similar in design so you might look at that schematic. It can be found on the Geotech1 forum.

Reg

Hi reg hope this will be of some help. to the left of the heatsink unit the component is burned. it is on the lower board.

here it is in relation to its location on the board...any help with this Reg would be greatly appreciated.
regards.
ken

The orange part is a tantalum capacitor. The value is on the good side so you should be able to read it and the voltage of it. Also, note the + and which leg it indicates. Tantalum's are polarity sensitive. Since it is close to the LM912, you should measure the output of this IC. It should be a -12V once the cap is replaced.

So, read the information on the capacitor (cap) and see if you can find a replacement. Also, you might post what you find on the forum. Remember to bend it away from the heatsink once the new one is installed.

Also, this might have blown a fuse, so look for one of those also.

Reg

Thank you Reg, I will try and locate a replacement cap and check the ic when done....I will keep you updated on my progress, thanks again for your help so far...no doubt i will have more questions
all the best,
regards
ken..

New replacement cap and ic arrived end of lastweek..today i removed and fitted new cap, ic checked out ok and now the machine seems to work as before i have only been able to air test at the mo. but hopefully tomorrow on the beach..My goldscan 2 would have been consigned to the bin, only for the help i have received from this forum. Thank you Reg i very much appreciate the help and instructions that i received.
All the very best from my part of the world.
regards.
ken

Hi Ken,

I am happy your detector is working now. Glad to be of help. BTW, if you want to know how the basic design works, you can locate the Goldscan 4 schematic and study it. I suspect the GS 2 and the GS 4 are quite similar in design. Info on the GS 4 can be found on the Geotech1 forum among others.

Reg