Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Goldscan 5 damaged:sadwalk:

Thanks Reg.
The measured voltage where noted in the photo is approximately -4 volts. (Minus 4 volts)

Hi draco,

The -4v is about what I figured. It is supposed to be 0V. So, now we need to figure out what is bad and to do that, you will have to lift up the audio board so you can check a couple of outputs on the last amplifier on the main board on the side the audio pigtail comes in on. Check the last OpAmp and see if it is a LT1112. What is wrong is most likely associated with this opamp.

Before doing that, check the voltage again on the audio board but adjust the gain pot from min to max. The gain pot could also be called the range pot. I think you changed that in your video and it didn't seem to make much difference. So, if this is the case, you will have to measure the outputs of the opamp chip.

On the LT1112, pins 1 and 7 are the outputs. You will need to check both and find out if one or both of the outputs are wrong. Pin 1 can cause pin 7 to read bad if pin 1 is too negative of a voltage. Both should be 0V.

With luck, we will be able to change the opamp and solve the problem. If not, then maybe the offset voltage correction circuit is not functioning correctly. If that is the case, I may be able to fix that also.

Reg

Hi Reg, CN is a 1114 LT.
It is this ?.

Thank you.

I remeasured the voltage potentiometer minimum to maximum, the voltage is the same - 4 volts aprox.

GND + pin 1, - 4.38 volts
GND + pin 7, 0.05 volts

The IC is the 8 pin IC right at the edge of the board. It is the LT1112 and is right under the headphone cable. Do you see the LT1112? If so, double check the pins 1 and 7 again. It should be pin 7 that is -4V.

Actually, measure each pin of the LT1112 and let me know what each reads.

Hopefully, from the measurements I will be able to determine if the IC is bad or some other component is causing the problem.

If you have another dual opamp like a TLO72 or TLO62 and the LT is in a socket, you might try carefully remove the LT1112 and install a different dual opamp. Make sure to get pin 1 in the right place.

Reg

Below the headphone cable is a TLC 2262.

I measured voltages and are:

pin 1 = - 0.31
pin 2 = - 0.10
pin 3 = - 0.10
pin 4 = - 4.91
pin 5 = - 0.36
pin 6 = - 0.37
pin 7 = - 4.78
pin 8 = 2.38

Pin 8 is not negative.

Hi Draco,

Some GS 5's have the LT1112 but you have a basic substitute dual IC. I suspect this chip, the TLC2262 is bad. You can use a TLC2262, a TL062, and any other decent dual opamp. Hopefully, that will cure your problem. Let me know if you do change it what happens.

Reg

Hi Draco,

I am curious as to where you are located. Hopefully, you will have access to other dual opamps (two amplifiers in the chip). I am betting that changing the TLC2262 will cure the problem. If it does correct the problem, then we saved time and money.

The GS 5 underwent an evolution. I think originally, the LT1114 and the next opamp were TL064 and TL062. Then the operational amplifiers were changed to the LT series for stability. Ideally, the LT series work best because you don't need some of the small 0V balancing pots installed. In fact, on one of my older Goldscan 4's, I installed LT's and eliminated some troublesome pots all together.

Reg

Thanks Reg, tomorrow I will try to buy the TL 062 or TL 064.

I'll report

Hi Draco,

The one IC I am relatively sure is bad is the TLC2262. So, that is the one to try to replace with either another TLC2262, a TL062, maybe a TL052, or even any other dual opamp. You don't need the TL064. Leave the LT1114 in place.

Reg

Hi Reg.
I changed the TLC 2262 by TL 062 and the problem continues.

Thank you.

Hello Draco,

I can help you, I am French (in the north of France), I am hardware engineer and I have study the Goldscan 5c and Goldscan 5b, Aquastar II etc..., I have the schematic of each detectors (my schematics)

Alexandre