Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Golf balls = 1st silver of the year :detecting:

I've been out only a couple times this year so far... Today was a nice day weatherwise and I decided to hit my favorite haunt after work for a couple hours. I started in a wooded area as the underbrush is starting to leaf out and my chances to hunt it for this year are dissapearing fast. I started in an area where I had done good for silver coins in years past, but today I had a hard time getting any signal worth digging.

About 1 1/2 hours into the hunt and only a mangled memorial penny for my efforts, I decided to head back to the car and try a different spot. On the way out of the woods I passed behind a large old tree and spotted something tucked under a couple large chunks of fallen deadwood at the base of the trunk. I pulled out a tupperware bowl full of junk and realized it was a Geocache. I signed into it and left my mangled memorial penny inside it :blink: Wonder if anyone else who finds it will wonder what the hell kind of idiot left THAT in there...:bouncy:

From here I could see the car through the trees, but instead of making a beeline for it I went in a sweeping arc down the hill into a small gully. Soon I spied something on top of the ground... when I got to it I saw a plastic grocery bag filled full of golf balls. Not really wanting to drag those out with me, I did notice that they were clean and appeared to be high end brands. I thought "what the hell" I could sell them on ebay for a few bucks if I don't use them first... When I went to pick them up, the bag was split so I had to grab it gingerly and kind of hug an armload of dripping wet balls against me as I continued on.

I soon realized that I needed another bag to put these in before they ended up all over the forest floor, so I hunted my way over to the edge of the trees along the road, hoping to spy an empty bag or something that the wind wood have blown into the weeds. When I got close to the road I saw somethign white stuck in the underbrush to my left and when I tramped my way to it was glad to find an empty and intact grocery bag to dump all the wet balls into.

Once I finished and stood up, I took a step and started swinging my detector when it sang out on a nice coin signal. I dug down through the leaves and ground cover and out pops a Mercury Dime! My first silver of the year. I wouldn't have found it if it weren't for the golf balls that I almost didn't take with me.
I continued hunting along the edge of the woods down the road toward my car when I soon saw more golf balls ahead...

I found the remains of another plastic bag with a few golf balls scattered about. "Well.." I thought, "I guess I'm obligated to continue picking up golf balls since I was already toting a bagful of them." When I stood up from collecting the last ball, my very next sweep of the detector sings out again.:detecting:

I dig out another Mercury Dime! I continued hunting.... and looking for more golf balls. I went for another 1/2 hour without getting another signal worth digging and I was close to my car when I spotted another golf ball half buried in the leaves. I walked over to retrieve it and 3 feet before I get to it, another nice signal! This time it was only a wheatie... I guess I should have picked up the golf ball first before digging this signal!:rolleyes:

3 hours of hunting and the only signals worth digging came as a result of golf balls... I guess that's how you are supossed to find silver... I'm on vacation for the next week, hopefully my son and I can get in some more detecting time soon. Take care and HH, Mike.

Great story Mike ! And congrats on the mercs !:cheers:

Not a golfer but always pick up the various golf balls left by practice in the park. Usually leave them in a pile where easily seen and imagine surprised a few guys out for a little practice. Always something to point the way including that crushed can that layed on top of two shallow Barber dimes last year. For sure will think of your venture when I come upon the next golf ball and congrats on the two silver dimes....

Some days I find several gold balls during a hunt, but I have
never found any silver or wheats around the area. Guess I'm
gonna have to start paying more attention.....might have passed
up some silver. Nice story and Mercs Mike. :thumbup:
Gold Nuggets :wiggle:

Good to see you posting Mike.

I got out for the first time yesterday and first coin dug was a merc. Then hours of swinging for nada.

Chris

Enjoy these times every chance you get.

I still cherish the many times my daughter and dad hunt with me.

Pops is getting to where he can rarely go for longer than 30 minutes...but I'd drive 2 hours just to hunt with him for a half hour without even blinking an eye.:angel: