Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Golf courses

jim tn

I've debated about making this post as I no longer do pictures and posts of my finds outings, but I've decided to as it may trigger a few of you into checking on possible city golf course hunting opportunities in your various locals. Some golf courses can be pretty special hunting opportunities.

Not every golf course will have the varying kinds of treasure these two in my local had.. Both, prior to becoming golf courses had previous activity in the forum of Civil War. But, some courses may have been something else before becoming a golf course. One I had a brief window of opportunity on, as an example, had been a race track before becoming a 9 hole golf course. In its own right, it had good age having been built in the 1920's. In 1994 Atalanta, was preparing for the 1996 Summer Olympics and gave some of the surrounding towns, like Columbus, some of the games. Columbus, was given soft ball and to accommodate the games bulldozed the golf course and made softball diamonds and fields. Several of us hunted on the moved ground over a ten day or so period whenever we could and we all found some nice old coins including Barbers, V nickels and I H cents.

The city in my local closed this first golf course in Jan of 2020 and began a major renovation. The nine hole course was opened in 1906 and was part of a 342 acre park that opened in 1901, but as mentioned, had seen prior activity. Two of us, however, in the winter months had been hunting on the golf course for several years. During the winter months the course closed two days a week and on incumbent weather days and holidays. We kept a low profile, hunted on closed days and left little or no signs holes were being dug. I must admit, even I am surprised, along with my hunting buddy, that we got by with hunting it as long as we did.

Over the span of about five winters, we each amassed a nice bunch of old coins and various relics. I recovered a sandwich bag full Civil War bullets and several U S Eagle buttons and horse tack. Each of us recovered some "firsts," both coins and relics. My one good relic was a beautiful Eagle breast plate. My first and still my only one. My coins firsts were 2 half dimes. My 1st first was a pretty nice 1840o Seated and the second was a 1831 holed Capped Bust. At the time, the 1831 was my oldest coin and my first (and only) Capped Bust. My other first was a beautiful 1844o Seated quarter. I had found 2 Seated halves over the years, but never a quarter. One other outing is still pretty memorable and it came about on a misty morning of woods hunting along one portion of the golf course. I had ventured out of the woods onto the ruff of a fairway and pretty promptly got a nice high tone and high reading on my F 75. I cut a nice round plug, flipped over the moist clod and found myself starring at the reeded edges of 3 large silvers. All, Walking Liberty halves. And yes, I did check for more.

One evening in Sept 2021, I heard a blurb on the evening news about a city golf course that was closing the 1st of Oct. to undergo a major renovation. I was familiar with the spot as it was across the road from a inner city park that a couple of my buddies and I had hunted a few times. I did a quick Google search and found out it had opened in 1935 and thus was old enough to harbor some older coins. I alerted two of my hunting buddies and we made plans to hook up on the 1st and we each vowed to keep our mouths shut. We hoped that few fellow hunters had heard about the course closing. As fate would have it, only one other hunter ever showed up at the spot and he didn't stick around to long.

We arrived at the site that first morning and drove through the gate to the maintenance building. The gate to the club house was locked. The whole 18 hole site was fenced, these two gates were the only way in. I parked along side a half dozen other vehicles. We didn't notice any other fellow hunters anywhere around, so figured the vehicles were probably for workers and site staff. About a half dozen workers were heading off with shovels in tow, but didn't seem to be paying us any mind, so we all geared up and headed out to a fairway that was void of workers and machinery. I was wondering how long it might be before we were confronted?

An hour or so later we all got together to compare finds and that's when I noticed two guys heading in our direction in a golf cart. As they pulled up the little older of the two asked if we had found anything and also introduced himself as "Ed," the construction site manager. We told him not much besides a few modern coins and 1 1957 silver dime. He reached into his pocket and said if you find any of these I would be pleased to get a couple. He open his hand and there laid a 69 cal 3 ringer, which, one of his workers had spotted in the dirt when digging out around a sprinkler head. Ed said he had three grandsons and would like to have a bullet for each. Near the last time I hunted the spot back in June, I presented Ed with with the second jug of Jack, I had given him one for Christmas, and three small display cases with 6 Civil War bullets in each to take home with him when the job was finished. He and the Co he worked for were out of Fl.

Not sure of the numbers of my buddies, but in total I recovered 121 silver coins from the golf course. Over all, I had 3 more firsts. The 1st was a 1819 half reale. My oldest coin and 1st reale. My second was a U S 1855 Large cent. I went on to find 2 more. My 3rd first beat out my 1st first. It was a 1791 half reale. Which, became my oldest ever coin. The site also yielded me another half dime, a 1848.

One thing about hunting golf courses, treasure can be found about anywhere. Oh, coins are concentrated a little more around tee's, greens and the club house, but every fairway and piece of woods has the potential for treasure. Particularly, if the spot has seen 160 or so years of activity.

About a month ago I heard about the 3rd city golf course that is to be renovated and will be closing this Nov. It only been open since 1951, but who knows what may have been going on there 100 or so years before. How about those in your local? HH Jim Tn

Jim I've been hunting old golf courses for quite some time. If I remember right your the gentleman who advised me several years ago to be hush hush about where I found my first walking half lol. You also sent me a half dozen civil war bullets of different caliber. I still love showing them to family and friends. And always tell them a gentleman from Tennessee mailed them to me. I haven't found near as many coins or as old as the ones you found. But always kept it a secret. Thanks again Jimtn....hhrickinmi

Great story. Awesome diggs.
Had golf course close nearby. Developers bought it
Got permission though injuries prevented me from getting on right away. 110 acres.
By time I got to it.
2-3 ft of fill had been packed on top. 🤬
Only the back unused 40 was open.
Just iron and full single point plow blade I left sitting topside.
Darn. I think I missed a good one. Another 50'$ site gone. 😵😢

Would love to get out on the University course here but I think you have to be one of those educated idiots that are members to get out there. One professor was talked in to buying a one ton diesel truck to tow his golf cart up there and no the cart was not a Sherman tank…….
Good story! Thx

A few years ago, a buddy and I started hunting a golf course that dates back to the 1940’s, but before that was a farm with large house.
Through research I I actually found some old photos of the house taken back in 1919.
We found lots of old coins there as well as some civil war items… it has since been turned into a general use park with walking paths, but has been allowed to grow up elsewhere and is impossible to hunt many areas now.

Last edited:
Never really considered any around me but a fellow I know worked for Milwaukee parks dept for years. He has kind of an “in” to go hunt the one by his house and has done extremely well. Great idea to keep the eyes open for the opportunity, and you’re right…even though the golf course in any area might have “started in this year” it has always been something. I live in a mobile home park that was started in 1960. It has a small park/commons where there is playground stuff. It’s where I found my absolutely first silver coin I ever found, a 64 Roosevelt. Years later in the same small area I found an 1892 S Barber dime about 4 miles deep. I was needless to say…shocked. But it was farmland before the park started, and this village dates to 1850. So the thought holds true…ALL land is “old ground”. It just matters what was going on there and how much of it.

I did a golf course back in the late 70s that was real good, but before in was a golf course it was a race track and was used along with a place they had once a year play day for all the local town to get together. . There had the army doing some training too one summer.
Quite a story on it and was to be used for recreation use when the land was donated to the town many years ago when the town started.
Now when I started to try it it didnt seem like much as I made a pass across it and only got some trash and no coins. Tried it again latter on it was loaded as I got 2 silver dollars and many silver coins and do remember 12 barber half come from there plus my wife found what was left of a old leather coin purse on the edge of the track with a seated dime, 2 IH and a 2 cent piece. between my wife and myself one evening we got over 60 coins all older that 1930 in the 3 hours before dark. My biggest mistake is telling my local dealer about it and said not to let anyone know about it, but a few days latter I was told him and around 10 guys he bought with him. They too did well, but missed a lot as many spot they went too fast and missed a lot. It was closed down for many years as there had been too many digging on the greens and was told that it was off limits. I was back a few years ago and ask the guy taking care of it and said it would be OK and do not go on the greens and watch out for the golfers as to not interfere with them. It was one of a life time experience and never will forget it and just wish I would have kept record of everything found. I did get a class ring for 1958 and was able to return it to the guy and he lost it again in a golf course in SD and wondered if I would come down to look for it.
Those were the good old days and I know there are many more like this, but take some research to find them, 2 years ago a couple of my hunting buddies went on a road trip and seen a not so old school and decided to try it and wasnt that much, but they wonder if a old school might have been further out in a field next to the new school and foot ball field and it was the old foot ball and baseball field with a lot of weeds growing up, but the 2 of them got 100 pieces of silver that day and the one drove back the next weekend and got 90 some silver again, but wont tell me where.

Rick

I did a golf course back in the late 70s that was real good, but before in was a golf course it was a race track and was used along with a place they had once a year play day for all the local town to get together. . There had the army doing some training too one summer.
Quite a story on it and was to be used for recreation use when the land was donated to the town many years ago when the town started.
Now when I started to try it it didnt seem like much as I made a pass across it and only got some trash and no coins. Tried it again latter on it was loaded as I got 2 silver dollars and many silver coins and do remember 12 barber half come from there plus my wife found what was left of a old leather coin purse on the edge of the track with a seated dime, 2 IH and a 2 cent piece. between my wife and myself one evening we got over 60 coins all older that 1930 in the 3 hours before dark. My biggest mistake is telling my local dealer about it and said not to let anyone know about it, but a few days latter I was told him and around 10 guys he bought with him. They too did well, but missed a lot as many spot they went too fast and missed a lot. It was closed down for many years as there had been too many digging on the greens and was told that it was off limits. I was back a few years ago and ask the guy taking care of it and said it would be OK and do not go on the greens and watch out for the golfers as to not interfere with them. It was one of a life time experience and never will forget it and just wish I would have kept record of everything found. I did get a class ring for 1958 and was able to return it to the guy and he lost it again in a golf course in SD and wondered if I would come down to look for it.
Those were the good old days and I know there are many more like this, but take some research to find them, 2 years ago a couple of my hunting buddies went on a road trip and seen a not so old school and decided to try it and wasnt that much, but they wonder if a old school might have been further out in a field next to the new school and foot ball field and it was the old foot ball and baseball field with a lot of weeds growing up, but the 2 of them got 100 pieces of silver that day and the one drove back the next weekend and got 90 some silver again, but wont tell me where.

Rick
Nice Memories.

Hey guys, thanks for the comments.
Ricks' post and mention of the class ring he recovered and returned kind of reminded me about golf courses and jewelry recoveries. Over all, not a bunch of silver and gold jewelry was found on either of the courses in mention. Which, seems somewhat surprising in light of the fact of Civil War things being found, as most targets were getting dug. I did find 2 Masonic 14k gold rings. One on each course. The first was a surface find, it was just nestles in the taller rough grass and a recent loss. In checking with the clubhouse manager, he had the name of the guy that lost it and I was able to get that one returned. The other had been lost some time ago as it was about 4" deep. I found 1 gold band and my buddy also found one. Several several jewelry items were found, mostly rings, but 1 old broach and 2 old style screw on ear rings. I did recover a neat sterling "greens keeper" tool that I recall and a sterling baby spoon.
Hope we get some rain before this next course shuts down for it's renovation and the construction manager is as accommodating as Ed was. Be safe, guys, HH jim tn

Tee boxes and greens would be the best places to hunt on a golf course, golfers always digging in their pockets for tees and coins to mark their ball.
I always felt lost jewerly would be more often found in the rough and tree's area's. Golfers are a little more frustrated trying to get back into the game.
Hands more likely wet or dirty.

Tee boxes and greens would be the best places to hunt on a golf course,
Tee boxes for me held very few coins/jewelry. The area's within a 25 or so yards area around the greens did seem to have a slight more concentration of coins, but the ruffs and fairways held a lot of coins all the way from in front of the tee box down the fairway/ruff to the green. As mentioned, coins were literally found all over. HH jim tn

Tee boxes for me held very few coins/jewelry. The area's within a 25 or so yards area around the greens did seem to have a slight more concentration of coins, but the ruffs and fairways held a lot of coins all the way from in front of the tee box down the fairway/ruff to the green. As mentioned, coins were literally found all over. HH jim tn
I found the same thing to be true at the one we hunted at… we detected any area we could and did well.
My buddy also found an old class ring there one day, but we did not find much jewelry other than that.