Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

gone and forgotten

jhettel

My relic hunting buddy talked me in to buying a 705. It is a nice detector however with the DD searchcoil it is very heavy. In fact it is so heavy that my friend is selling his 705.

I have also found it to be just marginal for relic hunting. I don't see any great depth on relics. My Tejon easily out hunted his 705, six small round balls, one dropped .69, one dropped .58 to his one fired, and this guy is a pro with relics.

I do plan on keeping mine for coin hunting as I think it is a good coin machine.

That DD is heavy but it ain't that heavy. How much is he going to sell that not so deep machine for?

Jeff

To each his own, change of ground minerals, trash levels or site can make one detector
a little better or not as good.
Turn up the disc or let the GB get off on the Tejon and see what happens.....
I like my 70, don't have a Tejon, my detectors will eat a Tejon's lunch
in my area :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:....
But I think I would be out of line to go over on Tesoro and proclaim how much
better mine are than theirs :rofl:.
Ok, I don't won't to lay it on too heavy :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:.

Just checking in, have not been on here for a little while. Everyone knows my thoughts on the 70/705...:nopity:

I don't understand the comments by Beale? "Are you fishing"; "I still say he is trolling". If you have something to say then say it, but these comments can mean anything. Just what am I fishing for?

As for my friends 705, it is in the mail to New York. As for the Double DD search coil, I disagree, it is big and heavy. A few ounces hanging out there at the end of a rod can make a big difference when out for extended periods of time.

Now for the 705. I did use it for relic hunting and it did seem to work well. However, after three years of using a Tejon I must say that I am used to the Tejon and I do know how to use it. I have personally dug some really deep stuff with the Tejon and also dug some really small buckshot, caps and other objects in civil war fields. It is a very light and easily maneuverable machine in the dense woods, plus it has a lightning fast recovery from target to target. The other feature the Tejon has over the 705 is that the Tejon will find iron objects with the main discriminator set just above iron. It will cancel out nails, or make a squeaking sound over a nail, but I can tell the size of an object by running the search coil over the area and if it large, I did. Many times it is a horseshoe, but I have found one small pistol and a number of gun tools which all of my friends who detect with me have never found with their iron canceling out machines. I know you can use the 705 in all metal and then switch over to discriminate, but in civil war camps where the iron is everywhere, that is hard to do.

It is not a good idea to invade a forum and talk of another manufacturers machine. The 705 is my fourth Minelab, so I do think highly of them and do have hopes and know that it will work wonders in finding coins.

As for the 705, I think it is a very well designed machine, just really not suited for relic hunting. However, as a coin machine I believe it will hold it's own against any detector out there. My 705 is not for sale. The Tejon is a great relic machine but for coins it does lack. It is highly responsive to iron, the 705 cancels iron out, the Tejon does not have a target ID, the 705 does.

Anyone who wants to criticize those of us looking for the ultimate relic hunting machine is being biased. Anyone who relic hunts will swear by their machine. Go to the Fisher forum and read about their F-75, people love them. Go to Tesoro and read about their Tejon, which is their relic machine, people love them. People love the DFX and even the ACE250. Once you master a machine it can become the best machine for you.

I plan to use the 705 for coin hunting which is something I rarely do. I never implied that it was not a good relic machine, nor did I say that it was a bad machine. I think it is a very well designed machine that will sniff out the coins, which is something the Tejon has trouble doing.

jhettel, don't be too put off, these folks love their X Terra's. After using the 70 and now the 705 for the better part of thee years, I've found it to be an incredible machine. I recently picked up a used Tejon, and have about five hours on it. It is light,fast and DEEP. I plan on using it for fields for relics, or in spots that have no modern trash, it seems to be a great little machine. As, far as hunting for coins and jewelry, I don't think the features, functionality and ease of use of the 70/705 can be beat at any price. HH

As a forum of Xterra metal detectors, we could care less that your friend sold his detector
because you outhunted him with your Tejon.
Anyway the Shadow X-5 is far superior to the Tejon:biggrin:.:biggrin::biggrin:
and there are a lot that are dropping their Tejons for T2s and F75s:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:.
Most of us will doubt your sincerity because of the way you present your posts here
on this forum.
BTW, in case you don't know, there is a Tesoro Forum here on FM, there you can
report all your glamorous Tejon stories, in fact, you do know it is there, why you
are not on that forum is a real mystery....
In case you didn't get it the first time, this is a [size=medium]Minelab X-Terra forum[/size] :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:.

jhettel said:
I don't understand the comments by Beale? "Are you fishing"; "I still say he is trolling". If you have something to say then say it, but these comments can mean anything. Just what am I fishing for?

As for my friends 705, it is in the mail to New York. As for the Double DD search coil, I disagree, it is big and heavy. A few ounces hanging out there at the end of a rod can make a big difference when out for extended periods of time.

Now for the 705. I did use it for relic hunting and it did seem to work well. However, after three years of using a Tejon I must say that I am used to the Tejon and I do know how to use it. I have personally dug some really deep stuff with the Tejon and also dug some really small buckshot, caps and other objects in civil war fields. It is a very light and easily maneuverable machine in the dense woods, plus it has a lightning fast recovery from target to target. The other feature the Tejon has over the 705 is that the Tejon will find iron objects with the main discriminator set just above iron. It will cancel out nails, or make a squeaking sound over a nail, but I can tell the size of an object by running the search coil over the area and if it large, I did. Many times it is a horseshoe, but I have found one small pistol and a number of gun tools which all of my friends who detect with me have never found with their iron canceling out machines. I know you can use the 705 in all metal and then switch over to discriminate, but in civil war camps where the iron is everywhere, that is hard to do.

It is not a good idea to invade a forum and talk of another manufacturers machine. The 705 is my fourth Minelab, so I do think highly of them and do have hopes and know that it will work wonders in finding coins.

As for the 705, I think it is a very well designed machine, just really not suited for relic hunting. However, as a coin machine I believe it will hold it's own against any detector out there. My 705 is not for sale. The Tejon is a great relic machine but for coins it does lack. It is highly responsive to iron, the 705 cancels iron out, the Tejon does not have a target ID, the 705 does.

Anyone who wants to criticize those of us looking for the ultimate relic hunting machine is being biased. Anyone who relic hunts will swear by their machine. Go to the Fisher forum and read about their F-75, people love them. Go to Tesoro and read about their Tejon, which is their relic machine, people love them. People love the DFX and even the ACE250. Once you master a machine it can become the best machine for you.

I plan to use the 705 for coin hunting which is something I rarely do. I never implied that it was not a good relic machine, nor did I say that it was a bad machine. I think it is a very well designed machine that will sniff out the coins, which is something the Tejon has trouble doing.

Ok let me explain. I think you were looking for people to tell you the 70/705 was not a good relic machine. I know better I have seen great finds. You prefer the Tejon for relic hunting. That is good I run 2 Tesoros also but on the X-Terra sight I talk X-terea. And If you just want to "coin hunt " with your 705 then good also.

If I have misunderstood than I am sorry. Just enjoy the hobby and have fun. No hard feelings OK, Beale.

Is this long line trolling?LOL:starwars:

What frequency coil was he using? If you are gauging his success on finding very small targets then he should probably be running the 18.75 kHz coil, not the 7.5 kHz.

I think he's fishing Beale...and using the wrong bait. Just a thought. HH TomB

I guess I should have added I'm a 66 year old male who has had triple bypass heart surgery,who has had a pace maker installed, had knee surgery, wear glasses, false teeth and hearing aids who is able to swing a X-Terra-70 with a 10.5 DD 7.5 kHz coil, with the aid of a swingy thingy, for the past two years with no problem what so ever. And check my post and you will see just how good this combination is for relic hunting.

I have used The X-70 with 10.5DD 7.5 Coil . I also hunt mostly in sandy soil but do hunt bad ground only 10%. I been have Relic Hunting over 30+ years and use lots detector. The Only machine that will go an little deeper most brass targets in Natuis DMC2B with monster 15 inch Coil in good soil it depth is unmatched. Lets go back tp the Claim posted that X-70 is not suited as Relic Machine, what flat out False. The settings on X-70 and tones make big different how deep you will finder targets over 12 inches deep plus. I run Sen very high and hunt only in Two Tones low iron, high tone all targets. The X-70 is super stable, even under power lines and can find deep targets very close iron that others will miss. I wish Minlab would make larger coil for X-70 say 12 inch larger. For the price, weight, easy of use the X-70 great Relic Machine . Here few only few selected photo's of relics I have found in " Hunted Out" camp sites that been hunted for years all brands. All items where most found over 10inch+ in depth, So claim that X-70 depth is not deep for Relic Hunting can be put to rest!!! Chuck

TomB said:
I think he's fishing Beale...and using the wrong bait. Just a thought. HH TomB

I guess I should have added I'm a 66 year old male who has had triple bypass heart surgery,who has had a pace maker installed, had knee surgery, wear glasses, false teeth and hearing aids who is able to swing a X-Terra-70 with a 10.5 DD 7.5 kHz coil, with the aid of a swingy thingy, for the past two years with no problem what so ever. And check my post and you will see just how good this combination is for relic hunting.

Thanks Tom! I see your post all the time. You do great! I do have one question. How do you like the "Swingy" thing, Beale.

Beale...My partner, Smith1 and I have been using Doc's swingy thingy for the past two years. A couple of weeks ago Smitty left his at home, by mistake, and I though he was going to have a fit. I'll bet he never does that again. The device takes all the weight off the detector and you simply guide it with the palm of your hand. No need to even grip the handle. Best thing since:clapping: sliced bread. HH TomB