Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gonna try a F70

Rainyday101

After doing tons of research and reading your forum, I think it's time to try the F70. I have read enough great stuff from you guys that I could probably run one right now. I am gonna wait until a little closer to spring to buy it. I want depth with the ability to tell by tones or VDI with some certainty what the target might be. I know ID can be iffy or shifted on deep targets. I own 2 Tesoro's now (Silver uMax, Tiger Shark) and they are fine units and I will keep them.

Question: I have mild ground, what coil do I get concentric or DD? From what I have read the concentric would be deeper and likes bottle caps less, is that true?

The Fisher crowd here is a lot like the Tesoro crowd, both of these forums are very active and full of great information.

It is my understanding that the DD coil is deeper than the concentric, but the DD like the bottle caps better.

Awesome! :clapping:
I wish I had more time on the 10"...only the 11"dd is what I've run from jump, 1000's of hours...and I do not have any problems with the crown caps, unless they are the flattened and rusty ones down about 3"...i hunt that one park thats full of crown caps and wade right through them..a few targets I did get that sounded like a crown cap are a Q with a zinc penny right on top of it..I think my ears have developed over time running the DP and the light settings...seems if I go any hotter, the signal strength of a crown cap fools a guy, and does not drop off or squelch as easily as running light...I dont look at the tid anymore at all, completely by tone, strength of audio tells depth, the F70 has quite a range of settings, and it took a while for me to settle on only a few depending upon soil conditions/location...Now most of my hunting time is spent reading the location for the "lane" hunting gold, specifically chains, which are not going to be deep, mostly grass root level. The clad is a byproduct that puts me onto the lane.
Mud

Hi Rainyday First off, with the detector models in your stable you are obviously an audio hunter. Most people with more than average experience are audio hunters and don't even realize it totally, even with VDI machines. The F70 I must say will play the audio hunters game very well not to mention the benefit you will learn to appreciate with the VDI, depth, and confidence meters.. A very short time after familiarizing yourself with the tones this thing will be fitting your hunting desires like a glove. Coil selection is an altogether different thing though. You will hear many different opinions as to which is best. The correct coil is the one that fits your needs the best. Soil types, amount of trash, emi just to name a few scenarios will determine which coil is best. This is why most people have more than one. I still swing the 10" elliptical because that is what my machine came with. I am beginning to feel the need to add another coil to my arsenal not because I feel the elliptical is not adequate but because I have discovered scenarios that would be better addressed by another coil type. The elliptical can be very deep in nice soil conditions and is preferred by many for it's discriminating capabilities. But they also can become a maze of confusion in extremely trashy soil if you don't back off on the sensitivity and threshold somewhat. DD's can be deeper when emi issues are present and will offer better separation but no matter which you choose you will probably eventually end up with more than one and only you will know when that time should be. I know my elliptical coil so well that when I enter a new area, even if I am not using it at the time,I will know if I will want to return using it instead. Hard to explain but every coil has its time and place as you already know. Yours is not the question of which one, but a question of which one first. Hope this helps-----IB

if you can afford it you should get a f75se almost the same as the f70 same coils same great battery life weighs a little more but not enough to notice goes a little deeper in bp mode i like the backlit display and having a pinpointing trigger. dont get me wrong im not downing the f70 i had one for a year and loved it the f70 is great machine, i had both coils on the 70 and liked the 11 inch dd coil the best and gets a little deeper the 10 inch concentric does id the deeper stuff a little better, also if you get a f75se it usually comes with the 11 inch and 5 inch coil and that little coil itself is worth paying a few hundred more for when you get in trashy areas. hh

Mud and IBdiggin, reading your post for the past year have a lot to do with my decision on the F70. You are right when you say I am an audio detector. The one thing I like about the F70 is the delta tone option. Mud I see you are already using that and I can't wait to try it. Being a Tesoro user you learn audio real well especially when you are extracting all your information from a single tone. Unlike others, I like when I hear a detector can be chatty- that tells me it is powerful and sensitive and that equals deep! I also understand the need to turn her down a bit in trash. If you use too much power in trash target separation gets tough.

I would get the F75 but it does not fit into the budget. From what I have researched though, the F70 is plenty deep and has just enough features to give flexibility but not over complicate things. I have to get a detector for my 8 year old also this spring and he will be getting a Compadre along with a Garret Pro Pointer.

I can't wait to get my Fisher. From reading your forum for the past year I have found the Fisher users to be a great bunch of guys that share info and help one another out. I also read the Whites forum and of course the Tesoro forum. And Mud some of your post always give me a good chuckle no matter what forum you post in.

The good news- I didn't drink the koolaid and buy the Mlab! I am buying another American made detector from a company that from what I have read also has excellent customer service.

The F70 is a deep, accurate machine. The sl mode will get you even deeper! For certain not-so-trashy environments, but where old stuff may be lurking, try it out. I like to keep it in my 2nd save slot to switch over quickly and check weak, deep coin signals.

I prefer the DD coil most of the time, but the concentric coil does ID rusty bottle caps better.

I certianly am proud of mine, and these guys and gals on this forum have helped so much, and continue to help. I learn from different situations and how the machine reacts, and I have learned here is with so many people running the same machine as me its like I get to experience their different situations through their posts.

Rainyday101 said:
Mud and IBdiggin, reading your post for the past year have a lot to do with my decision on the F70. You are right when you say I am an audio detector. The one thing I like about the F70 is the delta tone option. Mud I see you are already using that and I can't wait to try it. Being a Tesoro user you learn audio real well especially when you are extracting all your information from a single tone. Unlike others, I like when I hear a detector can be chatty- that tells me it is powerful and sensitive and that equals deep! I also understand the need to turn her down a bit in trash. If you use too much power in trash target separation gets tough.

I would get the F75 but it does not fit into the budget. From what I have researched though, the F70 is plenty deep and has just enough features to give flexibility but not over complicate things. I have to get a detector for my 8 year old also this spring and he will be getting a Compadre along with a Garret Pro Pointer.

I can't wait to get my Fisher. From reading your forum for the past year I have found the Fisher users to be a great bunch of guys that share info and help one another out. I also read the Whites forum and of course the Tesoro forum. And Mud some of your post always give me a good chuckle no matter what forum you post in.

The good news- I didn't drink the koolaid and buy the Mlab! I am buying another American made detector from a company that from what I have read also has excellent customer service.

If I can be of any help in your purchase please don't hesitate to call or email me. I can work up some nice package deals for you.