Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Good day from up north

Good evening everybody, I am a new member from Edmonton Alberta Canada. I have absolutely no experience with metal detecting, but it is something that I have wanted to do for a while . After many long hours of looking for the right unit for me, I decided on a Tesoro Siver Micro Max. I have only taken it out ounce and found lots of foil, 4 bobby pins(hair pins) a small piece of re-bar, a zipper pull and 1 .10cent piece. Not to mention all the landscape fabric staples under the 8" of sand at the kids park. So obviously need much more practice with the settings , and wont be retiring any time soon at this pace.
I am looking forward to my new hobby but most of all the knowledge that I will gain from this forum. I hope you wont mind all the questions I might have no matter how silly they may seem to you. I would like all the advice you can throw my way.
Thanks and have a great night.

welcome to find mall i am also in edmonton hve u ever checked out the edmonton metal detecting club? there are alot of great members some that swing tesoro u should check us out

Welcome aboard.
There are a couple more people who post here who are from your general area; their user names are scott.f and John-Edmonton.
Ask away and I'm sure you will get some input.
Cheers,
tvr

PostalTwo said:
welcome to find mall i am also in edmonton hve u ever checked out the edmonton metal detecting club? there are alot of great members some that swing tesoro u should check us out
Sounds like a good idea. I shall check them out.

Sitting Bull said:
PostalTwo said:
Sounds like a good idea. I shall check them out.
sounds good also there is a fb page if u like hope to see ay at our next club hunt later this month

The Tesoro Silver

Welcome aboard Sitting Bull! I use the Silver uMax as my main land detector. It is one incredible and capable unit once you learn how to use it. First off you have decide on what you want to hunt and that will determine your detector settings. For me I am after silver coins and take the clad coins that come with that. This is the easiest route to go for getting started and is what we call cherry picking. To do this I set the disc. just shy of zinc penny. Now doing this I miss most rings and kiss nickels goodbye, but dig very little trash. Note that doing this you are hunting in Disc Mode. When you get a clear signal with no broken edges, check the target from two directions and see if it sounds good from two directions. If it does dig it! If it sounds rough from one direction and clean from the other you might to dig these at first to see what it is. Sometimes it is a coin on edge, usually it is trash such as a crushed bottle cap. If you get to an area and get lots of clicks and pops you are in a trashy area and hearing items that are partially discriminated out. When you get this slow the swing speed way down and overlap your coil passes. The Silver will have no problem finding the coin amongst the trash and will give you a nice clean signal. This is one thing the Silver really excels at.

The other option is turn the disc way down to foil and dig everything. You dig a lot and find many of the items you have already found. Tabman does this and is really successful and is willing to dig it all to get the good stuff.

I suggest setting the detector to cherry pick at first because you will experience success right away and learn what a good coin tone sounds like. As you get better you can then lower the disc. setting to dig more stuff.

Pin pointing as you have no doubt figured out is a matter of Xing over the target to find the center of the target. Once you have the target located slightly move the coil from front to back and from side to side and listen to determine the size of the target. A coin is small and the detector should sound off with little movement in either direction. If you can move a fair amount to either side and still get tone you know you are over a larger target like a aluminum can or large piece of metal.

Lets us know if you have any specific questions or can help you! You have come to the right forum!

Hello there from Sask. S.B. I have a beloved Tejon but I'm currently facinated with my AT Pro. I know a guy here that dug a tidy pile of coins, primarily old silvers, with his silver umax. The more effort that you put into the hobby, the more reward you will recieve.

Thanks Rainyday101, Great info . I will definitely try your suggestion. Looks like I chose a decent unit to start out with. That already builds my confidence.

Hey Sitting Bull, make no mistake about it, you choose an excellent unit to start with and once you learn it well you may see that you have no need to upgrade.

you are going to find some nice things, keep us informed to , Gunnar

Thanks for the support guys. I like the simplicity of the unit I chose. Not to many buttons to figure out and not to many different sounds and things to watch for before making a decision to dig. I don't do very well when things are to complicated . I just want to have fun. Thats it thats all. Keep it simple.
Thanks again.

Guy.