Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Good detector for heavy mineralized soil in California?

Howdy, from Auburn, CA!

Long time Tesoro user , Just got a Tejon with the new DD coil; I found it doesn’t handle the soil well around my house.. Air tests on this one = comparable to what I see on youtube, but hardly a beep on a 10” quarter or 50 eurocents piece when I did a few tests. (This is power tuned, in disc between iron and foil.) Registers good enough in all metal, but I’m looking for 10” in disc in this California gold country soil. (if that's even possible?)

I’m originally from The Netherlands, and so I’ll just take the Tejon there when I’m going to visit my parents. Mostly mild soil, and from what I’ve read it should do very well over there.

Now, I’m curious if I would have better luck here in CA for deeper targets with for instance a Teknetics, Makro or Nokta detector, and have a unit that’s still sensitive to smaller targets? These brands caught my eye as potentially good units for my area.

Am looking for a light- to medium weight unit that reaches 10” or better on a quarter or 50 eurocents piece in my bad soil, without a monster coil or a very nervously operating unit.

Not planning to spend more than $1000 on a new one, and would like it to perform comparable to the Tejon if both were to be tested in mild soil.

I know you lose some depth in badly mineralized soil, but the Tejon is just struggling when I tested it yesterday in my backyard.

Anybody any experience with the Teknetics, Makro or Nokta detector brands in similar ca / bad soil conditions? Or perhaps another brand that I’m missing?
Thanks!

If your wanting a Tesoro than the Vaquero should be deeper in bad soil with the new 8 x 11 RSD widescan coil. It handles bad ground much better than the tejon.

i'll try that.

Wanting to get a used vaquero anyway for the standard 8x9 concentric.

Once i get one of those i have 2 detectors with 3 coils, the 8x9 concentric, the 8x11 widescan from my Tejon and the elliptical / lobo coil that i already picked up.

Add a 5.75 for the trashy areas and you've got it all covered.
BB

Have you tried setting the ground balance slightly negative?
On other Tesoro's the gb in disc is positive so it is best to set it a little negative in all metal. Other than that the vaq is a deep machine and can be found at about 300 used.

Find out what others in your area are using. Maybe there is a detector club there, or a local dealer. A guy named Terry will be happy to tell you I give out bad information, but lower frequency machines do better in bad soil. You stated other brands than Tesoro, so I will suggest For coin hunting a machine around 7 kHz seems to be good. Fisher F-44 is 7.69 kHz, Whites Coinmaster pro is 8 kHz.
Some of the multi frequency machines go as low as 2.5 kHz. I believe and Detector pro sells mostly 2.4 kHz. (These are marketed for the beach and water). Having one machine that does everything is what multi frequency machines attempt to do. Higher freq is good for smaller objects and gold, lower freq are better at larger silver and deeper.