Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Good Find or Not?

daddyflea

My last post was deleted for some reason so maybe this one will be acceptable. I found these two items today in my afternoon hunt. Not sure if these are good finds or not. The Gold colored Metal is a Baylor university coin from 1968. I believe the footbal schedule is on back. The other Coin looks to be French of some kind. It looks and feels to be real silver. It says 1846 on back. How it got there I do not have a clue.

Well I found it on the Internet so I guess it is real. It also has an "A" Mint Mark which says it was minted in Paris. Wonder how it got to Texas.

It is .900 silver so even it it is not in collectable condition it still has value. Coin Value is based on Condition and Scarcity. One never knows how coins may have traveled. I found a piece of an Irish Copper Half Penny in South Carolina. No Value to anyone except me.

When this Nation was settled any coin from any country was very valuable to be used in trade as there were no coins being minted here.

Makes one wonder also just how long ago that coin was lost. Very easily could have been waiting over 100 years for you to come along and rescue it from the dirt.

Congratulations on a nice find.

Thanks I was not sure it was real myself. But looks like it is. Coin is in excellet condition except for the very small scratch I put on the back.

GeorgeinSC said:
It is .900 silver so even it it is not in collectable condition it still has value. Coin Value is based on Condition and Scarcity. One never knows how coins may have traveled. I found a piece of an Irish Copper Half Penny in South Carolina. No Value to anyone except me.

When this Nation was settled any coin from any country was very valuable to be used in trade as there were no coins being minted here.

Makes one wonder also just how long ago that coin was lost. Very easily could have been waiting over 100 years for you to come along and rescue it from the dirt.

Congratulations on a nice find.

Super find--may have been carried by a French soldier on the way to Mayo De Cinco--no way to Disprove it.

togg77 said:
Super find--may have been carried by a French soldier on the way to Mayo De Cinco--no way to Disprove it.

Proof is elusive but its very unlikely. On their way to the Battle of Puebla (which Cinco de Mayo not Mayo de Cinco commemorates) the French forces landed in Veracruz which is hundreds of miles from Texas. Of course its possible that the coin was left there and later was brought to Texas and subsequently lost but this would not have been by a french soldier unless he deserted and snuck into the U.S. At any rate I think I just found a legit reason to celebrate Cinco de Mayo - pass the tequila!

-pete

PSS1963 said:
togg77 said:

Proof is elusive but its very unlikely. On their way to the Battle of Puebla (which Cinco de Mayo not Mayo de Cinco commemorates) the French forces landed in Veracruz which is hundreds of miles from Texas. Of course its possible that the coin was left there and later was brought to Texas and subsequently lost but this would not have been by a french soldier unless he deserted and snuck into the U.S. At any rate I think I just found a legit reason to celebrate Cinco de Mayo - pass the tequila!

-pete

You guys are something else!!!!