Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Good morning everyone. Advice needed.

Highlifter1000

My question is do you as in yourself dig deep iffy signals for example high tone repeating target but the numbers show 31,32,26,28,31,32 on some targets I've swung over? This park has given me a 1919, three 1920 and a 1929 wheat in the last two days.

That's why I don't use digital detectors with displays.
I understand that in places with a lot of garbage there is no other option, but I do not use them. I'd rather dig than lose.
If they were in Europe, none of that works. We have thousands of different currencies.

As a rule, especially now that I have gotten to know the Fisher’s instincts, if a target is reacting and there is a probability of no to little iron, then I dig. I’ve pulled some intetesting stuff up in the foil to zinc range that was neither. Yes, one still fills the pouch with trash but just one “what if” target that was a real treasure gets away how do you feel? Sometimes iffy is like saying she has a headache when she really doesnt!

That's why I don't use digital detectors with displays.
I understand that in places with a lot of garbage there is no other option, but I do not use them. I'd rather dig than lose.
If they were in Europe, none of that works. We have thousands of different currencies.
I definitely understand that. I watched a detectorist I follow on you tube and he was digging the same iffy signals I described encountering myself and 9/10 times it was silver. don't want to miss out on good items. I tend to focus on the depth meter to base my decision to dig

As a rule, especially now that I have gotten to know the Fisher’s instincts, if a target is reacting and there is a probability of no to little iron, then I dig. I’ve pulled some intetesting stuff up in the foil to zinc range that was neither. Yes, one still fills the pouch with trash but just one “what if” target that was a real treasure gets away how do you feel? Sometimes iffy is like saying she has a headache when she really doesnt!
I see your point. I actually have a plug I'm going back to because it's been on my mind. A what if. I had to leave unexpectedly that day.

Here where I’m at if I start getting penny signals at 5-7” its usually wheaties. The Peace Dollar I just found kept flashing the dollar numbers as I was getting the high iron hits. It was the only reason I went in. 5-6 iron nails above it but it still flashed the silver gang sign!!!!

The deeper, the worse and more dubious is the discrimination.
Where I live now, it is volcanic terrain and very, very difficult to detect. Discrimination does not work beyond a few centimeters. The ground balance is mandatory to do it manually and all detectors do not work here.
People, who have detected in Hawaii, know it well ...

Because of that, I have become accustomed to not using discrimination

I have found the weirder, the better. I remember back in my newbie years hunting parking meters. I had a Troy x2 and get this really weird bouncing signal. I flipped the dirt plug and could see links of a gold bracelet. Turned out it had 14 sections with 8 round diamonds in each . After I dug it out very carefully, NEVER pull a chain or bracelet, 10 minutes later a guy passes by in a pickup truck. He asked, 'ever find anything good, Im getting one soon for my birthday ???' I said, nahhhhhh

Always dig those weird ones. Just never know.

PS... Went on vacation one year and decided to hide my diamond tennis bracelets. Havent found them yet !!!!

HH
Donna(NJ)

I definitely understand that. I watched a detectorist I follow on you tube and he was digging the same iffy signals I described encountering myself and 9/10 times it was silver. don't want to miss out on good items. I tend to focus on the depth meter to base my decision to dig
I have never nor would I ever base a decision to dig / not dig on a depth meter. My last outing I found three silver dimes that were all 2” or less.
Send me coordinates of your hunting spots and I’ll dig these shallow targets for you 😂 just kidding buddy. Seriously, investigate all signals shallow and deep.

I have had good targets that gave very bouncy TID… some shallow and some deep.
Very often it is something good that I was not expecting, so yes, I dig those kinds of signals.
I was searching around an old house that my buddy and. Have searched many times with many different detectors over time.
This particular day I was with another guy running an ETrac which have never used there while I was using an XTerra 50.
Anyways, I was searching the back yard and got a very iffy signal that was not very deep and the ID was all over the place, but I dug it mainly because I was not getting any other signals…it turned out to be an 1892 Barber dime not two inches deep.
I’m sure my buddy and I have been over this target many times during previous hunts, but passed over or due to the poor readings.
Matter of fact when I told him where I found it, he stated that he remembered getting crazy signal there before.
I had not been in the hobby long, but he has and usually digs more iffy targets than me, so for him to pass on this target shows how bad a signal it was.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'm going to dig everything 😁

Deep iffy signals? Depends on how iffy. If they're persistent I'll dig, and I've learned not to stop until I find what generated them.

I was hunting a very small old park one time that I know has been pounded by every detectorist in the area for decades, and the only reason I went there was to try to prove the value of a new 15" 3kHz Coiltek coil on an Xterra 705. I found a bunch of deep wheaties that encouraged me, but then there was one deep iffy signal that I would have probably passed on under most circumstances. I dug out a large deep plug to start with, and waiving the loop over the hole it was still down there. I kept digging with my Lesche and checking with the coil and a pinpointer, and I almost gave up, but then the pp started chirping so I continued. I ended up a measured 17" down where I found a beautiful 1844 Bank of Montreal half penny bank token.

Without question some very nice targets are at some pretty deep depths, but by the same token, however, some pretty nice finds can be achieved from depths of 4" or less. I strongly suggest you not basing your decision to dig on only deeper targets. Just last winter I recovered 2 half dimes, 1 a Capped Bust and the other a Seated, back to back and both were less then 3" deep. On this same spot I recovered a half reale 4" or less earlier this year. Fact is, some pretty good finds get found just laying on top of the ground. At any rate, when in doubt, go for it, regardless of depth. HH jim tn