Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Good Ol' Red Racer gets me a goodie.

OregonGregg

Last satuday Monte , myself and another friend headed way down to South East Oregon then cut across back into Idaho and we went to an old mining ghost town. I started the morning using the Fors CoRe with the 9.5" x 5" coil and my first coin was silver. I seen it come outta the hole. I fetched it out and I'll be damned, was a 1962 Silver Rosie. I never turn down silver, but thought it funny, I am in a 1860's ghost town and that pops outta the ground. A little later my friend Brian found a neat trade token good for $2.50 and then just a bit later Monte also finds the exact same kind of token.

Later that day I grabbed the Red Racer with 7" coil and tackled the part of the site that had a very good abundance of rusted tin mixed with the iron. Was working it slow and got a decent iffy signal. Dug out some dirt and was very happy to see a silver coin dime size. I cleaned it off a bit and it was a seated dime. It has been around the block a few times as it was worn pretty thin. But you could still make out some details and still get a date. It was an 1840 seated dime, so the Red Racer found my oldest coin so far. Was a fun day, all three of us each made a nice find. We went back the next day and we all three got skunked :( , but I guess that is how it goes sometimes..............

The pic is of my finds after getting home and giving them a good cleaning and as you can see the poor ol' setaed was getting pretty thin.......but I'll take her :)

I think it is a terrific find, congratulations on that find and a good hunt out with friends.

Tony

Nice!!! Oldee but goodie :)
I just saw how cheap the red is going for now on the big K site!!! What a steal!! The r2 is at the price red was at months ago. Great time to get your hands on a great make machine :)

Nice goin, Gregg! Love anything seated, even with a hole in it. Gotta love that Racer.

Well, at least not on the first day. On the second day we worked it ... :( Nice scenery, we put in ample time detecting, but the three of us came away skunked.

I have to envy Gregg on his find as he's one up on me. Detecting since 3/'65. Relic Hunting since 5/'69. I've found a good number of old US coins, to be sure, and my all-time favorite ghost town has produced hundreds of coins. Carded 2X2's to fill four binders and a few extra, and where I have found Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents, a large Cent, several 2¢ pieces, at least one 3¢ Piece, Shield and 'V' Nickels at the ratio of about 3-to-7, Capped Bust and Seated Liberty Half-Dimes, Seated Liberty and Barber Dimes at a ratio of about 30-to-1, a couple dozen Seated Liberty Quarters and two Barber Quarters, and two Seated Liberty Halves.

Out of all the old Seated Liberty Half-Dimes, Dimes, Quarters and Halves that I have found ... hundreds ... dates have ranged from 1837 to 1891, with the majority of the from the 1850's, '60s and '70s, but never, not even once, have I recovered any Seated Liberty coin from the 1840's. Never again will I have the opportunity to chance upon such a rewarding site as 'Twin Flats', my re-named favorite ghost town, and that's hundreds of coins from just that one old townsite. I have taken Seated Liberty coins from old yards, old parks, renovation areas in old parts of towns, homesteads, ghost towns, mining camps, pioneer and military encampments ... and other places, but for whatever reason, nothing from 1840 thru 1849.

So, even if it is worn quite thin, the date is clear and Gregg gets another reason to boast about finding something that I haven't. :poke:

Our 7th WTHO starts tomorrow and, once again, I will have an opportunity to chance upon silver coins and maybe, just maybe, I might luck upon a silver coin from the 1840's. Always hoping to check that off my Bucket List, but I'll naturally be pleased to find any worthy 'keeper' so as not to be skunked.

Of course Gregg left out the interesting part of the 1840 Seated Liberty dime story. That was the funny part of the story for the day :rofl: ... but all turned out well for Gregg before he headed for home, so that was good.

Monte

I had to buy a 2nd so I can keep my two favorite search coils mounted on my two Racer 2's for handier at-my-fingers grab-and-go performance. That's what I did with my pair of MX-7's, CoRe's and Relic's which I also have a pair of each. Out with my original Racer 2 ghost towning this morning, and now I am headed off to try and find some place around town that might surrender a good find or two. Going to grab my new Racer 2 w/'OOR' DD mounted at my first stop where I've been working a site where they demolished a home.

I really enjoy every detector I have in my 'Team' of models, and with the new Racer 2 price, I feel everyone ought to add one to their own detector battery. All my Nokta & Makro devices have been/are very reliable performers. :thumbup:

Monte

Great finds ! The FC24 is quickly becoming my favorite coil on the CoRe. It balances perfectly on it and I'm able to distinguish Canadian steel clad better with it than with the stock coil.

Nice find Gregg! Leave a few for my next visit.:beers:

Nice find Gregg! That is an old dime for this side of the country, are you counting that 1840 dime as two finds?

Thanks everyone.

Utah1971 said:
are you counting that 1840 dime as two finds?

LOL I guess Monte is going to make me tell my story. When ya come to findmall and post ya do it in such a way ya sound all professiononal and what not. But the truth is I found the dime and Monte and Brian were across the way a bit. So I left my machine and walked over to show them the find I made. After they looked at it and Monte just found his $2.50 trade token so I looked at that and we talked a bit. I then walked back and put the dime on the detector to get a pic and then I placed it on a rock and snapped a pic.

Then went back to detecting and later that day I reached in my front pocket to pull my finds out and the 1840 was missing. Walked over to Monte and said ya ain't gonna belive this I lost my 1840 dime. So I thoght were I might have lost it......and finally remembered that I took some pics of it and prob lost it putting it in my front pocket. So I detected for 30 mins in that area but no luck. Later I went back and gave it one more shot and something shiny caught my eye and there was my 1840 coin still sitting on the rock. I took a pic and then walked off and left it sitting there....oops !!!

But all ended well, still got the coin, even if i had to find it twice :)

Ole Red's a great detector! Man if that coin could talk, I bet it has some interesting stories to tell. Nice going on the 1840 seated, dang near into bust territory :thumbup:

Haha my oldest coin thus far is a 64 half dollar.... Well my oldest silver at least. Found many wheats.
Man I need to get out there!!!

Did the 7th outing. Used the Red Racer and Racer 2 with the 7" and 5" coils. Wasn't able to snag any silver on this outing. ( the only silver found on the outing was an 1865 Seated Dime, 1911 Barber Dime, and an 1875 Seated Quarter) I did manage to find a few V,s a buffalo and a few IH pennies and a couple Chinese Cash Coins. Did find a 2 1/2 cent token. Is my first 2 1/2 cent so that was a nice find. I also found a 2014 10 cent Malaysia coin. Have no idea how that found its way out there. Was a fun outing and was great to see everyone again. I am sure looking forward to the NV outing starting May 17th. The token is my favorite find followed by the buffalo. This buffalo is prob the nicest I have found and it cleaned up nice.

You found better coins in one outing then I've ever found haha. Keep it up Gregg you're killing it with the racer team

Well Stoof, if ya would get on that damn plane and fly west LOL You still have time to get to Wells NV. Ya have great machines.....ya just need to get to an outing :)

Yeah I know I know.
I'm back to work on a different shift. Hand still not working well. No matter here or there I'm getting out more than I did last year. Year before was great!! Just got really best last year between school and work. Last push for finishing and I did. Got to get out there!!

Well I got a friend that has a Left handed version Fors Core. You can use that and keep your other hand in a sling .........and nope I ain't digg'n your finds for ya LOL