Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Good short hunt

DougF

There were a few sprinkles this morning, but I went out and they stopped just like the weatherman said they would. I didn't have much time, only hunted for 1.5 hours. First tried an open grassy area next to a ball field, but the grass was a little high and I think the area may have been filled. Saw a wooded patch (maybe an acre) nearby, and the undergrowth was not thick, so I gave it a try. Found the big silver ring right next to a small tree, it's marked "925", also another mark which may be the maker's mark or the country where made (can't read it yet). Not a high quality ring but it's silver. Next found the '62 Washington, it was really shiny I just rinsed off the dirt. Finally got a signal which sounded like an Indian cent, and it had good depth. Turned out to be an 1864 2-cent piece, my fifth 2-center from this park. Other junk as pictured, a miniature gun, piece of copper pipe, etc. A little warm today, 74 and sunny. I went out a few times in March, but didn't find much, just wheats and one silver ring. I took a day trip a couple weeks ago with the wife and walking across a parking lot eyeballed a 14K earring. Not a big one. I don't have a decent scale, but it's less than 1 gram.

Here's a photo of the two-center reverse after cleaning. The obverse is not as good, has some corrosion on the shield. It looks like it was AU when it was lost.

Terrific hunt, congratulations! Good luck with more two centers in that park.
Did they ring up as quarters?
What is your cleaning method? The coin looks great, good job for sure.

Tony and Bob, I think the two centers have all sounded like Indian heads. I use the digital screen and conductivity is usually low to mid twenties, ferrous reading anywhere from 3 to 10. My theory is that the two centers have been missed in this park because there are lots of screw caps in this park and they hit in the same range. But screw caps are usually not as deep and the sound is not exactly the same. Indians and two centers have the "warbly" sound, but a lower pitch than silver. I do dig a few screw caps anyway, especially the screw caps from miniature liquor bottles. The cleaning method I use on them is just household ammonia on a Q-tip. After I finish I put some paste wax on them.

That's a helluva coin Doug. Damn good finds there...here's to hoping for other oldies in there!

Dougf, I have always thought I should not desciminate screw caps, always felt I was missing some coins.
That coin is a beauty congratulations again