Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

good starter for a kid?

zero

I am recently new to metal detecting and my 11 year old nephew has fallen head over heals for the hobby, my question is which detector would be

I think the Tesoro Compadre would be very good. Only 1 knob.. Life time warranty....2.2 lbs. 1 - 9 volt battery....Hot on small gold items.... Very deep ... If you don't like it I will buy it from you. It is only $160.00... KEN

Tesoro makes a great detector for sure. One of my hunting partners is getting ready to turn 11. He recently moved from a Garret Ace250 to a Garrett ATpro and loves it. Really lite and has a display with depth, target vdi and pinpoint. Actually bought one myself. Great detector for the price and very tough and water proof which is perfect for kids. Good luck, Joe.

surfman said:
Tesoro makes a great detector for sure. One of my hunting partners is getting ready to turn 11. He recently moved from a Garret Ace250 to a Garrett ATpro and loves it. Really lite and has a display with depth, target vdi and pinpoint. Actually bought one myself. Great detector for the price and very tough and water proof which is perfect for kids. Good luck, Joe.

Can't beat the Garrett 150 or 250 for the money and years of use!

I know one guy who won the competition with his Compadre, although there were guys with Explorer and Deus. As for me, I used Tesoro Tejon with SEF coil for a long time. It was very good MD.
But I'm afraid the child will be much more interesting to have the device with a screen. I would suggest you to buy X terra 705 or Deus. He will be able to master both of two instruments and he will use them for next 5 years for surely. If you have extra money, buy Deus. It is lightweight and wireless. Your nephew will have a lot of digging at the first time, but he will become a pro at soon.

I can't recommend you the entry-level devices such as Ace 350..

And what MD do you have?

The Compadre would be an excellent choice. My 9 year old daughter found an 8 gram 14k gold ring within the first week of using her Compadre. The detector has now paid for itself twice over.

Dan

Fisher F2. It's simple. It looks good. It performs.