Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

got a minelab explorer se pro coming and want to hunt old house sites and which coil would be better in iron 6x8 sef or the eq2 6 inch

bigdawg47

i have a minelab explorer se pro coming with the 11 inch pro coil and a older minelb 8 inch coil and i will be hunting old house sites with lots of iron should i get the 6x8 sef or the eq2 6inch coil i heard the eq2 falses a lot in iron thanks hal

Bigdawg-I can't tell you what coil to use but I can tell you this....I'm VERY new to my Explorer2 and found that hunting old house sites is A HELL OF ALOT EASIER using FERROUS tones. Use an open screen(Iron Mask -32 works) and just listen for high tones. If you have Variability set to 9 or 10 it'll be very obvious when you hit something worth checking out. Iron will false sometimes but that can be alleviated somewhat by backing off your Sensitivity. I find it to be pretty easy to tell iron falsing because it's not a clean high tone,it's immediately accompanied by a "grunt",especially with no Discrimination. YMMV...

Good luck out there!

Kevin

I just got the 6"EQ2 coil for my Etrac. I have the 6"x8" SEF and consider that a mid sized coil and since you already have an 8" coil I would get the 6"EQ2 can't go wrong there. I so far haven't seen what you call iron falseing from it but I am running it in two tone Ferrous mode right now and will try regular Conductive mode soon. I wanted a really small good coil for trashy and iron areas and read a lot about this coil on these sites.

IDXMonster, I was going to switch to FERROUS tones early this year but decided to use AUDIO 3. I had used that on a Garrett machine before and liked it but that machine had no depth for me anyway,
Today, I took your advice and hit two areas that I have gone over many times in AUDIO 3 and 2 and of course normal.
Well I have to say thank you for your suggestion because I pulled out coins that I passed over before. Cool option, it opens up areas that I have been too -

BigTony said:
IDXMonster, I was going to switch to FERROUS tones early this year but decided to use AUDIO 3. I had used that on a Garrett machine before and liked it but that machine had no depth for me anyway,
Today, I took your advice and hit two areas that I have gone over many times in AUDIO 3 and 2 and of course normal.
Well I have to say thank you for your suggestion because I pulled out coins that I passed over before. Cool option, it opens up areas that I have been too -

Big Tony,you are more than welcome,I got the scoop from some other guys when asking...."how do you make hunting in iron easier?" My IDX Pro is single tone response,making it difficult to use without Discrimination for any length of time. That's one of many reasons I got the Explorer2....TONES!! Conductive tones in iron stinks,Ferrous really lights it up running wide open,it's VERY easy to listen to. In fact,just yesterday,at one of my old farm sites right across from my work,I pulled a REALLY REALLY NICE 1891 Indian. It was right in the front yard which I've been over many times with the IDX,it just never saw it. Maybe I never hit it just right,some coils seem to be more dependent on swing angle than others..that may be complete baloney as well...but I seem to think so. Ferrous is extremely advantageous in certain situations,and old rotten iron filled sites is one of them!
More good luck to you with the Ferrous!
Kevin

Hello fellas. I've got an Explorer XS. I've had it for a few years but just now playing with it a little. I like to relic hunt. Wondered, how would this do with bullets. I played with it a little around an old house place and got zinc can lids a plenty with high tones. I don't know if my settings are right. I think I set it like you said IDXMonster. The tones are set to ferrous and set audio 3. Do you stay in the iron mask screen. I had to come down to 16( sensitivity) for stability and had to go into the digital screen to set it. I stayed with the digital screen and got high consistant coin-like tones with numbers in the 20's for the zinc lids. Isn't this the bullet range---20's? Another thing, my iron mask just comes down to -16. Do my settings sound to be close to yours?

If you are talking about the fbs800 coil,I have one and it's very underrated. I hit coins at 7 inches clear,and if your in a area where there's a lot of junk,your not gonna dig deep anyhow.If you have that coil coming I'd hold off on buying another,and give it a try.

cookie58 said:
Hello fellas. I've got an Explorer XS. I've had it for a few years but just now playing with it a little. I like to relic hunt. Wondered, how would this do with bullets. I played with it a little around an old house place and got zinc can lids a plenty with high tones. I don't know if my settings are right. I think I set it like you said IDXMonster. The tones are set to ferrous and set audio 3. Do you stay in the iron mask screen. I had to come down to 16( sensitivity) for stability and had to go into the digital screen to set it. I stayed with the digital screen and got high consistant coin-like tones with numbers in the 20's for the zinc lids. Isn't this the bullet range---20's? Another thing, my iron mask just comes down to -16. Do my settings sound to be close to yours?

I use Normal audio,audio 3 is way too blurred and drawn out for me anyway. Audio normal is short and exact....GL

Kevin