Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got a penny slam today..

Chris/MA

Been looking around an old building that's under construction.

Yeah, I know, it's not quite a dime slam, but hey, it is what it is. I bet a lot of folks have had an easier time finding seated dimes than flying eagles. (not me for some reason, I've got 3 or 4 flying eagles but no seated dimes)

1856 large cent, slanted 5 variety, very nice shape
1857 flying eagle cent (I was digging my pulltab signals like a good boy. 99 times out of 100 it's a tab, but that one time it ain't it's usually something interesting)
1896 indian
3 or 4 wheats
couple memorials

Also got a nice part of an old brass keg spigot. Easily 1800's, maybe older. Hard to tell with those things. It's crudely made, the T handle on it isn't symmetrical, which is what makes me wonder if it could be older. The building is early 1700s.

I'll post pictures later, too tired now.
It was a nice outing after getting skunked and rained on yesterday.
Yesterday I got pretty wet and muddy, and spent a bunch of time fighting with very heavy iron close to the building. The SEF 10x12 may not be quite the right tool for that job. Got what I thought what a spanish reale at first (right thickness and diameter, and silvery color, but turned out to be an aluminum slug, possibly a knock-out from some sort of electrical fitting.

Also, it's always nice when people leave AC power wiring for outdoor lighting exposed, especially when it's live. There was a bunch of old cable that had been torn up sitting on the ground. I moved it a bit to detect under where it had been. The other end was still connected to the building so I was careful and grabbed the insulation since I knew there was always the possibility there could be juice. Sure enough, a couple of the bare wires touched and some sparks flew. Granted this didn't freak me out since I'm used to dealing with electrical equipment, but it still made my evening a bit more interesting.

The Flying Eagle is no doubt the hardest of the pennies to find and I would take the slam you got over a dime slam anyday. Can't wait to see the pics! I'll stay tuned! Good Luck and HH.:thumbup:

Great job!!! I haven't found a Flying Eagle either, but then hell I haven't found a Seated dime either... LOL
I have found 1 LC and a few IH's.

n/t

Cool Chris. Congrats. I've never found a flyer before but have it high on my list of "wants".

Keep up the great finds.

Nice! I have found 1 flying eagle but no LC. And I would much rather get your penny slam then my dime slam!!!! Congrats!

Thanks. One of these days I'll get the dime slam...For some reason, I've never managed to find a seated-anything. But I've found 3 flying eagles, 2 2-cent pieces, 1 3-cent piece, 10 large cents, 3 spanish reales. With that in mind, I certainly don't have bad luck per se, definitely strange luck though.

Nice job. I got all but the large cent one day..but never came close to it again.