Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got about 10 minutes? Excalibur Speaker choice, Which is the Best?

OldBeechnut

Got about 10 minutes, Let me know which Audio you like...and why....if possible...........each video is just over 1 minute............thank you, joe beechnut..
Settings all the same on the test, along with coil to target distance.

(1) Audiosears.2463.same used on the Sunray Pro golds, Blackwidows, Killer Bees
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx_ml1rlrpY

(2) (Kobitone 254-DR150-RO Dynamic Receiver)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AumO0PKzN_w

(3) Critters Sony MV150 headset speakers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YArnIQr5SqQ

(4) Piezo tube Good for PP/Am hunting highest db (SPL) tones?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fro2L7CsW3M

(5) Kobitone 254-DS408
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21X3QO78FpI

(6) All Electronic Speakers 300 ohm (Sven Suggest these)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u28N9vBy_qA

(7) Stock Yellows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cId_s7imOC8

(:geek: Kobitone 25CE500 (Used on RatPhones)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KptTjU_CUCQ

This is a hard one... In all fairness, the only thing I can really say is I like the speakers much more than the piezo's. I didn't notice at first that the foil in the picture is somewhat crunched up, so the tone was tricky (wasn't the obvious super low). At first, I thought I didn't hear much seperation between the silver and the quarter with the AE 300ohm and Sony MV150, but on the second pass, it was obvious. Sorry I'm not really any help!

Simply OUTSTANDING job there OBN! I don't have the time at the moment to play all those but I will when I can and will chime in. Of course I'm rooting for the Sonys. Best audio I've heard on a detector in terms of headphones, but just the same if something sounds better then I can't imagine the even more detailed possibilities to judge targets here, so I'm eager to listen and see what does what...

(5) Kobitone 254-DS408 I was watching and realize a mistake..nickle to pennies switched..sorry about that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90njr9cmRnE&feature=youtu.be

Thanks critter...took me several hours too put all together, and since my house is getting worked on I'm else where and my space is limited. And some bad EMI here....could have added to the low tones being so ruff or broken.

OBX Frank, your correct...I like you think all the speakers are better....but there are a few that deal with all the frequency's better...just remember this is for the excalibur, I almost think the GT maybe different, that's why you guys helped me see what you like the best with it...Seems many like the Sunray Pro golds, and the Black widows the best for the GT......So now it's the excaliburs turn..thanks guys...

I liked the sound of the audiosears the best, but I may be bias because Ive been running blackwidows on my etrac for some time. It just sounds like a "cleaner" tone speaker to me. My second choice would be the all electric speaker.

I can say so far that the Sony speaker doesn't sound as good as it does on my GT. More "gritty" perhaps or something like that. The high tones on my GT seem a bit more "sweet" as well, and nickels have a pretty distinct "round" "boing" sound to them. These were done on an Excalibur, right? If so, then either the Excaliber has a bit different audio output or perhaps my computer speakers are gumming up the audio to something different than what I'm used to from the Sonys?

Going to listen to others when I can here and remark on which I like best...

OBN,

I need some time to look closer at the graphs that follow each sound test. To me the greater the differential of sound the more likely I will be able to ID a particular metal. I will review these tomorrow. Great job, you do a Yeomans work and I really appreciate it, and I know others do as well.

Great job done Joe a wide comparison between brands i listened to each a few times and find the Audiosears.2463 to sound just like my Sov GT on all the targets you used the ladys gold ring must of been thin ? i use Black Widows . Nice job . Jim

Thanks ''OldBeechnut'' I have the killer bee stingers as stated on your other post. and the sound just has to much'' treble '' This is a great job you have done. I like the sound of the ''All Electronic Speakers 300 ohm''and
the Rat Speakers I think I am going to get them and try them in my killer bees and see if it helps.then step down the volume. I love the fit of the killer bee stingers but too much treble ,,,Like fingers on a chalkboard to me.... But the are nice fit and great sound for most ,but I only have hearing in one ear and its not the beast ...Thank you for the test .It's great .and for the price of the speakers I can buy them all and try each one. lol

Here's hoping Ron links this thread in the Excalibur Accessories sticky under something like "An audio comparison of various headphone speakers". Just too outstanding of a piece of work to let slide into thread oblivion. Should help a ton of people out considering headphone options for both their Excalibur or Sovereign...

EDIT: I see that sticky is open right now, so I'm linking it in there. Just too great of a job and of potential use to people to let pass by...

critter said:
can say so far that the Sony speaker doesn't sound as good as it does on my GT. More "gritty" perhaps or something like that. The high tones on my GT seem a bit more "sweet" as well, and nickels have a pretty distinct "round" "boing" sound to them. These were done on an Excalibur, right? If so, then either the Excaliber has a bit different audio output or perhaps my computer speakers are gumming up the audio to something different than what I'm used to from the Sonys?

No you are correct, the sonys were not as clean..I'm guessing that the GT and xcal are a bit different but it could also be the EMI. One thing, all were subjected to the same conditions...so it does show how each handles this handicap. Each target was swung past the coil at the same distantance each test....4 inch's..now something that could affect the audio also was the settings of the excalibur, I had them very mildly set.....

BHNugget said:
I liked the sound of the audiosears the best, but I may be bias because Ive been running blackwidows on my etrac for some time. It just sounds like a "cleaner" tone speaker to me. My second choice would be the all electric speaker.
Thanks BH, a good choice for sure....and your right, very clean.

lint said:
Rat Speakers I think I am going to get them and try them in my killer bees and see if it helps.then step down the volume.
lint, if you need a web site to find them PM me.......all at a very good price..and I like the Kobitone ratphone for there deep rich bass, plus they were the loudest of all the speakers..

deepdigger said:
Great job done Joe a wide comparison between brands i listened to each a few times and find the Audiosears.2463 to sound just like my Sov GT on all the targets you used the ladys gold ring must of been thin ? i use Black Widows . Nice job . Jim

Good call, .....thin silver, thin gold

Best-Kobitone 500 with Ratphones
Second- All Electronic 300 ohm
Third-Stock yellow

I received the same 300 ohm speakers today(except from Reg's source)to try and make another headset because of the lacking sound of the piezos in AM.I was hoping they would sound better and judging from your videos they will.One question did you silicone over them or encase them in something?

Skullies Secret, doing a video in a month on Howto. Have a set going out next week to diggingrings to be tested in the deep.

Audiosears sound the best here to me.

Ratphones sound the worst, I tried two pairs of those headphones and while the earcup was a great design, nice and comfortable, I thought the audio was terrible for minelabs range of tones.

Did you try the speakers from Koss UR 30s? they sound great but I dont care for the headset.

Joe,

AudioSears are most familiar to me right now, probably because those are in three sets of phones that I have.

In order of personal preference:
However, for my personal hearing, which is missing the mid tones most, Kobitone 25CE500 in the Ratphones had the best separation for me, the best "round sounds" and had the most "full" ranges overall.
Then the All Electronic Speakers 300 ohm, Sven suggested. Not as round or full as the Kobitone in Ratphone, but still pretty good, and I could use them pretty well I think.
After that, the Kobitone 254-DR150-RO Dynamic Receiver, would be next down the line.

Going from top to bottom, I have to concentrate more to much more in order to distinguish between the sounds/tones. That is true of the following as well:

The Audiosears.2463 lacked separation and are too "tinny" for me to distinguish much except the women's gold ring and the foil. That's not true on the GT, but for the Excal, that's my impression.
The Stock Yellows I could tell the tones with, but that's probably because that's all I've worked with on the Excal so far. They too don't have the separation for me overall.
Critters Sony MV150 headset speakers were lacking in the "roundness" of sounds for me personally. They aren't bad, but don't have enough "full" sound for my hearing.

Please keep in mind, I have high-end and low-end hearing; the mid-ranges of my hearing are down by 55dB or so. In other words, I'm functionally deaf. That will make a difference (that's also why photos and text suit me more) I'm sure. I don't know if my feedback will suit anyone else hearing situation or not.

I really appreciate the effort you are putting into finding a good quality HP for the Excal, and the hours you have spent putting together the videos. Whatever you come up with, I will be very interested in trying.

Simply AMAZING and OUTSTANDING post/work, OBN. This has got to be one of the best educational posts I have seen to date.

Very difficult to make a choice, but I would have to say the Audioshears 2463 are the best for me. However, to be honest, having two sets of SunRay headphones and being used to them may be the reason. Having a hearing problem these work best for me.

I will mention that when using my DFPI, after about two hours of hunting, the sound does something to my hearing. My hearing sounds and feels like I have a water bubble in my ears and my hearing isn't the best at that point. If I remove them for about 20 minutes and put them back on, it improves dramatically but not to the point of when I started the hunt.

Just curious if any of the speakers you tested are used in the DFPI ? They have a higher sound pitch than my SunRays and I think that's why they hurt my ears after extended use.

Neil said:
Audiosears sound the best here to.
Did you try the speakers from Koss UR 30s? they sound great but I dont care for the headset.

Thanks Neil, the audiosears are clean, and I think it has alot to do with what we are use to...On the KossUR30's, It was one of my early projects several years ago when I had the pel-tor 101's like Gold/Master's headphones, I used the UR30's..they were good but at that time I could not figure out how to waterproof them and still keep the SLP (sound pressure level) up. The way these are water proofed I have a loss on the loudest speaker of 1 db when covered.

Tin Fin said:
really appreciate the effort you are putting into finding a good quality HP for the Excal, and the hours you have spent putting together the videos. Whatever you come up with, I will be very interested in trying.

Tim, thank you Sir............and for the early on help..I believe most of us here have hearing issues, and that is why we have different opinions on what works best for each of us.....Like OTLewis said, all are a improvement over the stock...

FSA said:
Just curious if any of the speakers you tested are used in the DFPI ? They have a higher sound pitch than my SunRays and I think that's why they hurt my ears after extended use

Thanks FSA....Audiosears for you sir
DFPI next year, I really think by custom building headphones to each detector, then matching them to a persons hear ability we can get the most out of that model of detector.
On the DFPI, I need alot more time in the field with the DF to determine what it's needs are.

Some bits of the test. Fast Med Slow
Piezo tubes and the Kobitone Rat speakers were the loudest as you can tell by the spikes
Worse audio the piezo tubes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oihOK2gN_k

Thanks for the time and dedication put into this! I know it's going to be different for each person as the amount of hearing loss. And as some of you may already know a lot of teens are using ring tones on phones that the older generation can't hear. I wear hearing aids, but can't wear them with headphones due to feedback so I have no douth that I miss some whispers that a younger person would have heard. I'm posting this site to give you an example....http://www.ultrasonic-ringtones.com/ I can't her anything higher than 8 kHz.
As far as the speakers, I know that I liked the Sun Rays on my GT, but not having anything to compare them to other than the stock Excal yellow which are terrible that's all I can go on. I listened to the sounds of the speakers a couple of times, and to give my opinion probably doesn't do Justice with my hearing - but best to me is like this Rat phones, Kobtone254, Sear, All Electronics, tubes and Sony, then stock.