Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got an 800 on the way...

Phil

I need some pointers to transition from my Etrac to the Equinox. My bad rotor cups have dictated that I start using a lighter detector. I have a couple of good light detectors for fields but I wanted a light one for parks and yards. I hope the 800 is it.

The Best of Luck with your new 800 Phil!

It is most certainly lighter but...keep it short and you should be able to detect all day!

It’s a great detector make sure to noise cancel I run ground balance tracking on it helps..

Phil said:
I need some pointers to transition from my Etrac to the Equinox. My bad rotor cups have dictated that I start using a lighter detector. I have a couple of good light detectors for fields but I wanted a light one for parks and yards. I hope the 800 is it.

Its a completely different detector! Give yourself plenty of time to adjust. The E-Trac is really smooth running because it doesnt see every tiny flek of aluminum, but you WILL hear every one of them with the Equinox. You'll need time to adjust to the constant noise. It can be frustrating at first but once you get used it, you'll love it.

Download and read the user manual a couple times, play with the detector and practice changing things to get used to it, then factory reset it, put it into an appropriate stock mode and just go hunting. There are no "secret programs", only a few changes that should be made for local conditions.

Your Rotator cuffs will appreciate the respite. The Equinox is very light, not Deus light, but close. Best of luck!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the information.

Light and bright. In terms of swinging it and being able to read the screen, you'll love it. For ID and depth info, maybe not so much. The layout is completely different from the Etrac, but pretty easy to get started--easier than with the Etrac, I'd say. Noise canceling can be important, depending on location, like with the Etrac. Unlike the Etrac, the Nox has ground balancing, although some report that they don't think it makes much of a difference (I think it can).

Something to watch out for, I have noticed a slight delay in the wireless headphones response. My ears are out of sync with my eyes as I watch the coil pass over the target, that is taking some getting used to. Narrowing my swing to 2-3 inch wiggle over the target helps, on wider swings its disorienting.

Air test Air test Air test before you head out for your first hunt. And there's a whole new category of target you haven't dug before, coins straight up on edge. Also rings on edge. Both have rather distinct behaviors as you sweep over them, air test them so your brain knows what to listen for. There are several modes, its important to understand how each behaves before you use them and how to adjust. They are that different. Park and Field 1 are similar, Park and Field 2 are similar, 1 and 2 are quite different from each other at depth in terms of how TID behaves.

Phil said:

consider buying Clive James Clynick 111 page booklet " The Minelab Equinox Series - From Beginner to Advanced. It help me jump start using the 800 since I never owned a Minelab detector.

maxxkatt said:

consider buying Clive James Clynick 111 page booklet " The Minelab Equinox Series - From Beginner to Advanced. It help me jump start using the 800 since I never owned a Minelab detector.

Hey Maxxkatt....Thanks for the recommendation. Like the OP, I also have an 800 on the way and I'm new to minelab. I went ahead and ordered it.