Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got an MX Sport today

azdigger

Well I had an MX3 and just did not like it so I got rid of it and got an MX Sport....so far I love this machine. Only used it in my yard and test garden but it works great with very easy to use controls.
Guess now come some learning, I also have an MXT so it seems kind of like it but better.
I will be hunting in AZ mostly looking for coins....tot lots ...parks and such.

Congratulations! Keep us posted, you'll like the Sport.

HH, Paul

I know what it is, you had a knotoff, Get you a Whites MX5 and you will do a lot better. Just had to do that, I hate cold weather!!!

I was just reading about the MX Sport in another post where it was mentioned that when the Sport first came out they had some issues. The poster went on to say that the issues experienced with the early models have been resolved in later models. My question is how can you tell the difference between an older model and the newer improved model when you're buying one? Thanks

I was told that if you looked at the serial number there will be a smiley face next to it.
Mine does not have any issues but it has no smiley face sticker, I was also told you can call Whites and give serial number and they can tell you.

But don't give up on having an excellent coil available soon. I am sure it won't be long before we can all enjoy this excellent coil. I have used the 6½ Inch Concentric from White's going back to the Blue Max 600 on my 5900 Di Pro, and XLT, the 6000 Pro XL / XL Pro, and on the Classic III SL, Classic ID and IDX Pro as well as the MXT series and MX-5. Matter of fact, that size and type coil was used more than any other search coil on all those models, with the XLT and XL Pro getting the switch to the 8" Concentric for more open places like a large park or beach.

I have the Detech 7" DD mounted on my 2nd MX-7 for a couple of months while I work it side-by-side against my main-use MX-7 w/6½" Concentric coil for field comparisons. Then the 7" DD on a lower rod will go in my accessory coil tote and the standard 950 will stay mounted on MX-7 #2 for more wide-open, sparse-target sites. The 6½" Concentric coil is always going to be my primary use coil.

Now we just need more spring-like weather to arrive here in Eastern Oregon and I can start working on my Annual Coin Count Goal for 2018! I look forward to reading the posts folks make once they get this new Concentric coil on their MX-7 and MX Sport devices and put it to work.

Monte

Waiting to get the MXS out.....On Jan 3rd I lost my brother , so most everything has been put on hold....right now , now in the mood to hunt anything.
When I can I will try to get it out to hunt. Has the stock coil...thinking about the detch 7" coil....time will tell.
I got the 13 ultimate for my MXT but do not like it....too much trash where I hunt.

So sorry to hear about your brother !!! I know how hard it is to get out after a loss like that. We lost our son 3 years ago and I did not feel like doing anything for quite a while after that. I hope the MX Sport will help you in the grief process. Keeping yourself occupied seems to help.

Monte,with the upcoming release of the 6.5" coil, is the Detech 7" a "necessary" coil to have in the arsenal?

ramairnut said:
Monte, with the upcoming release of the 6.5" coil, is the Detech 7" a "necessary" coil to have in the arsenal?
I will let my personal bias show here by saying .. No, I don't think so.

Honestly, I don't know why White's didn't just use the small, round Eclipse search coil from the start with the release of the MX Sport. :shrug: Those 6½" Concentric search coils have a very proven record for both serious Relic Hunters and Avid Detectorists on many well respected models such as the XLT and XL Pro, the Classic series III SL, Classic ID and IDX Pro, and the MXT series, M-6 and MX-5. I never could understand, and still can't, why they would go to an after-market search coil maker to produce a 7" DD coil.

Is the 7" Detech coil a bad coil? No, not necessarily, and when I bought my MX-7 I also bough the 7" DD coil because I know what it could do in places I regularly hunt, but also because I wanted to do side-by-side in-the-field comparisons of the 7" DD and 6½" Concentric. There are some people out there who might be newer to this great sport and don't have a lot of experience with a Concentric designed coil and have only used DD coils on their detectors. Then, too, some believe a lot of the quoted statements I read on forums or in magazines that make wild claims about when to use a DD and what they are supposed to do better.

I have some makes and models in my personal arsenal that work with DD coils and do an excellent job in some very tough iron nail infested sites or places I hunt that have high mineralization and are plagued with hot rocks. But I also have some detectors that work well, and better, using a Concentric type search coil in the very same environments. So there will be folks who like the 7" DD better and many of us that favor the 6 ½" Concentric, and in the end it is just a personal judgment call. I'll also conclude by saying the standard 950 coil that comes with the MX-7 is also a very good coil for searching more open areas, but ... If I were going to own an MX-7 and ONLY ONE SEARCH COIL, it would be the 6½" Concentric, and I'd be very well equipped for almost any site challenge I might encounter.

Monte

Monte said:
Monte, with the upcoming release of the 6.5" coil, is the Detech 7" a "necessary" coil to have in the arsenal?I will let my personal bias show here by saying .. No, I don't think so.

Honestly, I don't know why White's didn't just use the small, round Eclipse search coil from the start with the release of the MX Sport. :shrug: Those 6½" Concentric search coils have a very proven record for both serious Relic Hunters and Avid Detectorists on many well respected models such as the XLT and XL Pro, the Classic series III SL, Classic ID and IDX Pro, and the MXT series, M-6 and MX-5. I never could understand, and still can't, why they would go to an after-market search coil maker to produce a 7" DD coil.

Is the 7" Detech coil a bad coil? No, not necessarily, and when I bought my MX-7 I also bough the 7" DD coil because I know what it could do in places I regularly hunt, but also because I wanted to do side-by-side in-the-field comparisons of the 7" DD and 6½" Concentric. There are some people out there who might be newer to this great sport and don't have a lot of experience with a Concentric designed coil and have only used DD coils on their detectors. Then, too, some believe a lot of the quoted statements I read on forums or in magazines that make wild claims about when to use a DD and what they are supposed to do better.

I have some makes and models in my personal arsenal that work with DD coils and do an excellent job in some very tough iron nail infested sites or places I hunt that have high mineralization and are plagued with hot rocks. But I also have some detectors that work well, and better, using a Concentric type search coil in the very same environments. So there will be folks who like the 7" DD better and many of us that favor the 6 ½" Concentric, and in the end it is just a personal judgment call. I'll also conclude by saying the standard 950 coil that comes with the MX-7 is also a very good coil for searching more open areas, but ... If I were going to own an MX-7 and ONLY ONE SEARCH COIL, it would be the 6½" Concentric, and I'd be very well equipped for almost any site challenge I might encounter.

Monte

Thank you for the well thought out reply. I have used concentric coils in the past but some of the detector manufacturers these days seem to really push the DD coils. Nothing wrong with a DD coil, especially in an environment that it is designed for. I hunt a lot of schools, parks, and tot lots. I have had good results with the stock 10' DD coil on the Sport but it can become the 10" elephant in the room, er, park and there are some areas that it just isn't suited for; in comes the 6.5" White's coil:clapping:. I will pass on the 7" DD for a bit and use my dirty clad I have saved and put it towards the purchase of the 6.5" coil. As much as I love the MX Sport and how well we are already getting along together, i believe the 6.5" coil will increase my quality/quantity of finds while adding a helpful weapon to an already very capable detector.:detecting: