Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got my little oor coil

Flbchbm

Just got my little oor coil for my Fors CoRe and had a chance to try it out in an area that I just had to walk away from with my standard coil-so much trash it overwhelmed the ears! Picked a couple bucks in change out of the mess. Nothing exciting found but coil performed as expected. Have an even worse area at another park that will really be a test. Maybe get to that next week. Fun challenge!

the small 'OOR' coil on your FORS CoRe. I have preferred smaller-than-stock search coils for the majority of the many years I have been detecting, and to this day I keep most of my regular-use detectors outfitted with a smaller coil. I have an 'OOR' coil on my FORS CoRe and one on my Racer 2, and a 5" DD on my FORS Gold+ and Makro Gold Racer. There are also 5½X10 coils on lower rods ready-for quick changes afield, and I have a 5½X10 Concentric on another FORS model.

While I was very favorably impressed with the FORS CoRe Pro package I received in January of last year, it was admiring the results of performance testing with the 'OOR' that totally sold me on the FORS CoRe performance potential afield. Those smaller search coils are excellent performers in dense modern trash, working close to metal structures and fences, in and around brush and building rubble, and the detector/coil combination is tough to beat in dense iron littered sites.

Just be cautious to use a slower and methodical sweep when working any heavily littered sites, especially with iron, in order to improve the unmasking potential of these smaller coils mounted on terrific performing detectors.

Best of success to you as detecting season progresses.

Monte

Thank you, kind sir! Same to you!

Furious T said:
I have the small coil, and really love it on my Racer...what does 'OOR' stand for?
It is a term I coined back in Marh of '91 when Tesoro brought out the 8X9 coil to replace their 8" coil on some models.

The 8X9 isn't 'round' but it isn't a very pronounced elliptical shape, either, like a 5½X10. So, I called it an 'OOR' coil for "Out-Of-Round." I used that term from time to time in my seminars and discussions, including some Forum posts when I was discussing the 8X9 Tesoro coil, but it is bigger than I prefer to use so it didn't come up all that often.

When I was reading about the Nokta FORS CoRe before I got mine last January, I would comment on that small-size coil because I usually use smaller coils, and it wasn't quite a 5" round coil. And when I got my FORS CoRe and started posting more about it and that excellent performing search coil, I called it the same thing, an 'OOR' coil because it is just slightly 'Out-Of-Round' since it measures about 4.[size=small]7[/size]X5.[size=small]2[/size].

I have an 'OOR' coil on my FORS CoRe and Makro Racer 2, and I have the newer 'replacement' round 5" DD I use on my Makro Gold Racer and Nokta FORS Gold+ and another unit. These smaller-size DD search coils are excellent performers in tight spaces, in amongst modern litter, and absolutely terrific when it comes to unmasking good targets in an iron littered site. :thumbup:

Monte